Chapter 4

So Far Away, But Yet So Close

Tao stares at the trashcan. It is filled with letters he wrote to Kris. A tear rolls down his cheek. At that moment the door opens. Lay walks into the bedroom. All he is wearing is a boxershort. With a towel he dries his wet hair. ''HeyTao.'' Tao wipes his tear away and he turns to Lay. When he sees his half body he blushes. ''Why are you blushing? Never seen a half person in your life? I bet you saw one once.'' Lay laughs and he trows the towel at Tao his face. Tao smiles and he hides the filled trashcan. Lay grabs a white v-neck t-shirt out of the closet. ''Are you gonna stay all depressed in this room today or are you gonna live again?'' Tao doesn't answer. He stares at the floor. ''Come on Tao. Go put some clothes on! Let's get some kimchi together.'' ''I-I don't feel like leaving the dorm today...'' ''Oh that's not true.'' Lay grabs a pillow and trows it at Tao. ''We are gonna get some kimchi together. In a half hour I see you in my car.'' He grins, puts a jeans on and leaves the room.

 

At the same moment the schoolbell in Kris his new school rings. Together with Jessica he enters the classroom. It is way diffrent than Korea. Kris looks at all the people in the class. The don't wear uniforms and they all look diffrent. Nerdie guys, emo girls, girly girls, skater guys, etc. Everybody stares at at Kris. ''Hey Chinese guy! Ching chong chang nihao.'' A weird looking guy get's op and walks to Kris. ''You look so skinny and flawless. Are you a boy or a girl?'' Kris raises his eyebrow. ''Jake! Shut your mouth!,'' Jessica yells. ''Does nobody knows who I am?'' Kris asks to Jessica. Jessica shakes her head. The guy named Jake grabs Kris his shoulder. ''So... you are somebody we need to know? Well, who are you?'' ''My name is Kris Wu. I was a member in the Korean boyband EXO.'' There is a short silence. Then the whole class starts laughing. ''Oh ! We got a singer over here! Well, sing something Asian.'' Kris coughs a couple of times and then he starts singing and dancing to EXO's song Growl. The whole class laughs at him and than Kris realises... this is so not Korea.

 

Tao puts a white tanktop and a light blue skinny jeans on. He fixes his hair and walks to Lay his car. He opens the door and greets lay who is lipsinging to the song on the radio. ''Tao! You came!'' ''Yeah..'' Lay laughs. ''Ready to get some Kimchi?'' ''Yeah...'' Tao stares through the window to a random tree. ''Come on man! Don't be so sad.'' Lay pushes Tao his shoulder. ''Let's go!''

They arive at a place called ''Kimchi Palace''. ''They have the best kimchi of Korea here,'' Lay says while opening the door. ''I'll pay your kimchi okay.'' Tao nods and he get's out of the car. They walk into the shop. A bell rigns and a person greets Lay. ''Ah~~ Lay! Long time no see.'' ''Hyung~ How are you? Hey, do you have some kimchi for me and my friend Tao? We are hungry!'' ''Of course, of course! Give me a minute! I'll get you some kimchi.'' The guy walks to the kitchen with a huge smile on his face. Lay waves him goodbye. ''It's my classmate from a long time ago.'' Tao fakes a smile and he walks to an empty table. Lay also sits down. ''I know Kris is gone and I will also be sad if my boyfriend will leave me, but.... come one Tao. I know Kris wants you to be happy.''  Tao looks at the table. ''I know, but.. I can't. I really miss him.'' Lay opens his mouth to say something, but then the kimchi arrives. ''Have a nice dinner,'' Lay his ex classmate says. ''This kimchi will make you feel better!'' Lay takes a huge bite. He closes his eyes and enjoys the flavor. ''Hmmmmmmmmmmm it's like I'm eating the heaven. Oh my gaaawd! This is amazing.'' He takes another bite. ''Try it, Tao!'' Tao raises his eyebrow and he stares at his weird hyung. ''Well... okay.'' He get's a pair of chopsticks and get's some kimchi. Slowly he puts it in his mouth. After 3 seconds of chewing he get's another bite, but a bigger one. And another one and another one. Lay laughs. ''See! It's yummy!'' Tao laughs. For the first time since Kris left he is happy.

 

''Chang chong chang ching ping,'' Jake sings. ''Well you sing a-ma-zing Korean person.'' He claps. ''But remember, this is not Korea and you are not a celebrity here. Don't act like you are somebody, because here... you are  nobody. Well take a seat and shut your mouth.'Jake grins at Kris. Kris looks mad. ''Well.. and who are you?'' ''Jake Smith. The most populair guy in school. Star soccer player AND a somebody.'' He shakes Kris his hand. Kris pinches in it. ''Oooh Asian guy is mad.'' The class laughs. Jake get's a mad look in his eyes. He pushes Kris. Kris bumps into the wall and his backpack falls on the ground. A picture falls out of it. A picture of Tao. Jake grabs the picture. ''Well.. who is this? Your boyfriend?'' Kris his lip trembles. He get's tears in his eyes. ''He was...'' A guy in the back get's up. ''Ha! Gaaaayyyyy!'' The class laughs. Jake trows the picture in the trashcan. ''Just shut your mouth and take a seat gay boy.'' Kris get's really mad. He bites his lip and stares at Jake. ''YOU better shut your mouth!'' The class gasps. ''Fight!'' a boy yells. Kris pushes Jake and then he punches him in the face. Jake hsi eyes get big. ''Oh you want to fight?'' He cracks his knuckles and then he punshes Kris in the face. He hits him really hard and Kris falls on the floor. Knocked out.

Tao takes his last bite of kimchi. ''Lay! Thank you for taking me here! This kimchi is amazing!'' Lay laughs. ''I'm glad you like it!'' He looks at the clock. ''Oh! It's allready that late! Oh man... In 5 minutes I need to be at manager's house! Uhm... Can you go home by yourself?'' Tao nods. ''Okay good!'' Lay puts his thumbs up. ''I need to go Tao, here pay with this! Bye!!!'' He puts some money on the table and then he gives Tao a kiss on his cheeks. ''See you later.'' He runs to his car and he leaves Tao alone. Tao looks at the money. He starts blushing. Suddenly he get's a warm feeling in his belly. He got a kiss on the cheek... by Lay...