Part 4

In The Same Storm

         Pie runs in the corridor. She’s late for the first lecture. Damn, Kim! Why she wasn’t waking me up? Thought Pie. Pie’s knocking the door class and opens it.

            “Sorry, Sir, can I come in?” Pie’s tries to looks guilty.

            “You’re late, Miss Manaying.” Sir Jirayu, Pie’s lecturer of theater, stares her sharply.

            “Yes, I know it, Sir. I was overslept. Sorry, but can you forgive me today, Sir?”

            Sir Jirayu thinks for second. “Okay, just for today, Miss Manaying.”

            Pie smiles happily. “Thank you, Sir.” She’s come in into class, but before she’s reach her chair, Sir Jirayu calls her.

            “But Miss Manaying, you need to perform now.”

            “But, Sir—”

            “No ‘but’, Miss Manaying. Hurry or out from my class.” Sir Jirayu cut off Pie’s sentence.

            Pie sighs. “Okay, Sir.”

            Pie’s putting her bag on a chair beside Boy which smiles to her. Pie replies with a nervous smile. She also takes a glance to Kim which sits on the chair beside window again and looking far away. She walks forward to Sir Jirayu which waits her with impatient face.

            “What would you do, Miss Manaying?”

            “I’ll sing a song with piano, Sir.”

            “And the song is?”

            “A Thousand Years by Christina Perri, Sir.”

            “Okay then. Go ahead.”

            Pie’s walking to the corner which a white grand piano exist. Pie and Kim are taking theater art major in Blue University. Today, they’re needed to perform, like sing a song or acts. Pie’s choosing to sing a song with piano because piano is her favorite instrument. Pie’s clears and begin to starts.

             “Heart beats fast

            Colors and promises

            How to be brave

            How can I love when I’m afraid to fall~”

            Pie’s scanning her class and a little bit surprised when seeing Kim stares her. Somehow, it makes Pie become more enthusiastic to perform better. She tries so hard not to smiling.

            “I have died everyday waiting for you

            Darling don’t be afraid I have loved you

            For a thousand years

            I’ll love you for a thousand more~”

                Kim isn’t the only one that stares Pie, but also Van which can’t take his eyes. Van’s finding Pie so hypnotizing. God! She’s such a goddess, thought Van.

            Pie’s performance finally ends and she receives applauses from peoples in her class. Pie’s glancing to Kim and extremely happy when seeing Kim also clap for her. ! Why did I get happy seeing her claps for me too? Pie’s thought while walking to her chair. After a few peoples performance, Sir Jirayu calls Kim’s name.

            “Miss Jittaleela, your turn.”

            Kim’s standing up and walks towards Sir Jirayu. Pie stares at her with intensively and not just Pie, but almost all the girls on their class stares at Kim with interest.

            “I’ll sing ‘In the Same Storm’ by Big Baby Driver with guitar, Sir,” said Kim and Sir Jirayu nods.

            Kim sits on the chair which in center of class, pick up the guitar, clears , and begins to strum the guitar.

            “She said she never had a chance

            To look at the sun in different ways

            Ever since she’s been here

            She said she’s never coming back

            Her soul runs like river with no destination

            But I’ll be good for you

            I will sing for you~”

            “Oh my God! Kim’s so handsome,” said Jane with sparkling eyes.

            No, she’s charming, said Pie on her mind. But well, yes, handsome too, said Pie again. Kim is the most handsome girl that Pie had known, even some guys can’t defeat her handsome face. Kim is taller than Pie, her hair is black and short, and if you don’t know her, you’ll think that she’s a guy. She’s so tom. No wonder if there are so many girls that likes her, including girls on their class.

            “You don’t realize

            We’re in the same storm

            You don’t realize

            We’re in the same storm

            Don’t go away my love

            There’s nothing new for you

            Don’t go away my love

            There’s nothing new for you

            If you’re the same

            Everyday is the same~”

            “Is Kim ever had a girlfriend?” asks Pie to Jane and Boy.

            Boy thinks for second. “I think she’s never had girlfriend, but she was have a boyfriend.”

            “Really?” asks Pie and Jane together in shock.

            “Yup, but I don’t know the whole story between Kim’s and her ex.”

            “So, she’s normal?” Jane looks disappoint.

            “Maybe, I don’t really know. She’s so defensive, you know. It’s so hard to made her tells her story.” Boy stares Jane. “So, you really like her, huh?”

            Jane likes Kim? What the—? Thought Pie. She’s also stares Jane, curious with her answer.

            Jane nods. “She’s too handsome to be ignoring, you know.” Jane cheeks are blushing.

            “How about you, Pie?” asks Boy with his curious looks and Jane also stares Pie.

            “Huh? Me? I like her as my roommate, not more than that. I’m straight, you know.”

            “Really? Then will you change your room with me?” Jane is asking with enthusiast.

            Pie’s startled. “Hmm… I’ll like to do so, but why you don’t ask the housemaster first?”

            “Okay, I’ll ask her later.” Jane looks happy. It’ll be good if I can be roommate with Kim, thought Jane.

            I hope the housemaster don’t give her permission to change room, said Pie on her mind. And why I must be bother with Jane? God! Something’s wrong with me. Pie’s shakes her head tries to kick out the thought. When she looks at the front, tries to find Kim, she just realizes that Kim’s performance was over. Kim already sits on her chair again and the surprised thing is Kim glares at Pie with anger.

 

            Van approach Pie when the theater lecture ends. A big smile on his face because his proud with Pie. He doesn’t wrong choosing someone he likes.

            “Hi, Pie, you were so amazing. I didn’t know you can play piano. Are you learning it by yourselves?”

            “Oh, hi, Van. Thank you, I was learning it from my grandma.”

            “I see… then your grandma must be the coolest grandma, right?”

            Pie giggles. “Right, the best grandma I’ve ever had.”

            “Then… lunch with me, will you?”

            Pie’s about to answer Van when she get distracts with crowd in front of class.

            “Kim, I made this for you, will you taste it?” a girl with blonde hair gives Kim a box of spaghetti.

            “This fried rice also made by me, Kim.” A girl who likes a model gives Kim a box of fried rice.

            Kim is surrounds by a few girls and she just stares the girls with her cold eyes. She’s turns her head and finds Pie stares her. Still stares Pie, her right hand take one box that gives to her then walks out from class, leave the girl that goes crazy because her box meal is taken by Kim and other girls just glares at her, envy.

            Pie’s snorted, somehow she felt annoy with that. Van is trying so hard to get back the attention from Pie.

            “Pie… are you still with me?” asks Van.

            Jane gives Pie a light hit on her back and it makes Pie realize. “Huh? Sorry, what did you say, Van?”

            “I was asking you to lunch with me, Pie.” Van repeats his question.

            “Ah, right. Okay, let’s go.” Pie stands up from her chair. “C’mon, I’m so hungry.”

            Van is giggling. “Okay, let’s go.”

 

            “You must be happy, huh?” asks Pie sarcastically as she walks in to her room and saw Kim on her bed, reading a magazine, but Kim ignore her.

            “Why you didn’t date one of those girls? Those girls seem like you very much.”

            Again, Kim ignore her, she pretends not hear Pie and it makes Pie mad. Pie walks toward Kim and take the magazine. Kim glares Pie with anger.

            “What’re you doing?”

            “I’m asking you.”

            “I think your questions not important to be answer. So, give back my magazine.”

            “Not important?!” Pie raises her tone.

            Kim nods with cool, doesn’t annoy with Pie’s high tone. Pie throws Kim’s magazine and walks to her bed, her chest is up and down because of anger.

             “Is Van your boyfriend now?” asks Kim as she reading the magazine again.

            “I think your questions not important to be answer,” says Pie repeat Kim’s sentence.

            Kim giggles. “Vengeance, huh?” she take a glance to Pie who still looks mad. “I dislike them, you know, those girls.”

            “But you were taking one of those box meals?”

            “But I was throwing that box meal to garbage.”

            Pie surprised. “You what?”

            “I didn’t eat from that box meal.”

            “Then why you were taking it? It could hurt that girl, you know.”

            Kim raises her shoulder. “No reason.”

            “You’re so mean, Kim. I wonder why those girls like you.”

            “Me too, I wonder why too.”

            Pie snorts. “Such a player.”

            “Pardon me?”

            “Nothing,” says Pie, lying. “Hey, Kim, have you ever had a boyfriend or girlfriend?”

            “You’re asking too much, Pie. You don’t answer my question yet.”

            “Ah, Van isn’t my boyfriend. Done, so answer my question.” Pie starts become impatient.

            Kim puts her magazine down and stares Pie with her cold eyes and poker face. “What if I say I’ve ever had a boyfriend?”

            “So, you’re straight?” Boy was right, thought Pie.

            “Maybe.”

            “Have you ever like girls or have a girlfriend?” Pie becomes more curious.

            “Nope. How about you? Have you ever had a girlfriend?”

            Pie shakes her head. “I’m straight, you know, and my mom won’t allow me if I had a relationship with girl, more than just a friend, I mean.”

            “So, you’re scared to be a roommate of a tom?”

            “Nope.”

            Kim giggles. “You better watch out your heart, Pie.”

            “It’s impossible I can fall in love with you, Kim.”

            Kim smirks. “You better not to or you’ll be in trouble.”

            Pie is laughing. “Relax, it does not gonna happen. Ah, anyway, your performance was so amazing. I didn’t know you can play guitar and had a nice voice.”

            Kim rolls her eyes. “Oh, please, you didn’t even watch it.”

            “I was watching it, Kim.”

            “No, you’re not, as long as I remembered you were too busy talking with your friend.”

            Pie smirks. “I didn’t know that you paid attention to me, Kim.”

            “I’m not. It just you were too noisy.”

            “Really?” asks Pie with her innocent face.

            Kim nods. “You didn’t know that Sir Jirayu stared at you?”

            Pie shakes her head. “No.”

            “You’re dead, Pie.”

            Pie pouts her lips and that makes Kim’s laughing. “What?” Pie glares at Kim with murderous look.

            “You’re funny, Pie.”

            That sentence. Yam was say it like that too. “Who’s Yam, Kim?”

            Kim’s back to her poker face. “You meet Yam?”

            Pie nods. “On your birthday party.”

            “She’s my friend.”

            “Not your girlfriend?”

            “You’re really asking too much, Pie.”

            “Sorry, I’m just curious because you’re so mysterious, Kim.”

            Kim stand up from her bed and walks out, but before she reaches the door, she stop her step for a while. “Anyway, your performance was amazing too, Pie.”

            Pie smiles widely. She’s so happy to hear the compliment from Kim. Control yourself, Pie, said Pie to herself.