Part 3

In The Same Storm

           “Pie, we wanna going to the sea this weekend, will you join?” Boy asked Pie when they’re in the canteen.

            “I can’t, I already made a promise.”

            “With whom? Van?” asked Jean. “Or Kim?” she added in lower voice.

            “Not them.”

            “Then who?” Jean with her curiosity.

            “Are you already having a boyfriend, Pie?”

            Pie is laughing then shakes her head. “Not yet, Boy. I have none.”

            “Just with Van, Pie.” Jane suggested.

            “Ei, I don’t know he likes me or not, Jane, and I don’t think I can like someone instantly.”

            “How about Kim?”

            “What’s wrong with her? She’s just my roommate, Jane.”

            “You don’t like her?” asked Jane again. She’s obviously curious.

            “I do like her, but seems like she doesn’t.” Suddenly, Pie looks sad because she’s remembering about how Kim treated her so cold.

            “Y-you… like her?” Jane totally surprised with Pie answer.

            Pie nod with face full of innocence. Boy is laughing seeing the faces of his friends; one is clueless and the other one looks worry.

            “What?” Pie asked Boy.

            Boy shakes her head. “Nothing. Come on, we need to go to class.”

 

            Pie looked at her wristwatch. “God! It’s already past midnight. I need to hurry up.” She fastens her step.

            “Argh!” she screamed loudly when two men suddenly appear in front of her and the worst is they’re looks drunk.

            As they going near Pie, Pie steps back. Those two men smell the fear from her that’s why they are continue to go nearer Pie.

            This is not good, thought Pie. She’s scare.

            Bruk! Because Pie walking backward, she doesn’t know that there’s a person behind her. She’s frozen.

            Help me… said Pie on her mind.

            “What’re you doing?”

            That voice. Pie hurriedly rotates her body and smile.

            “Kim….” Pie is so relief that she meet Kim.

            Kim take a glance to those two men which stopping their steps and understand the situation. She grabbed Pie waist and force Pie to walks towards.

            “Hey, wait,” one of those men grabbed Kim shoulder. “that girl is ours.”

            Kim let her left hand go from Pie waist and in a flash, she had already take those men down. Pie can’t believe what she has seen. She didn’t know that Kim can fight.

            “Don’t ever dare to disturb her anymore. Ever!” Kim sounds angry then she grabbed Pie’s hand.

 

            “You’re bleeding, Kim,” said Pie when they have arrived at their room.

            Kim looked Pie sharply.

            “What?” asked Pie, innocent.

            “Are you insane? Still out in this late? How’s you if I wasn’t there?” Kim’s really mad. She burst her anger to Pie.

            Pie startled. She wasn’t expected that Kim would mad with her.

            “Sorry, I was so hungry.” Pie has feeling guilty.

            She’s really hates me, thought Pie.

            Kim sighs. “Next time when you wanna go out late, just tell me. I’ll accompany you.” She’s lower her tone.

            “Really?” Pie smile widely. She’s so happy.

            Kim nods. “Yeah.”

            “Thanks, Kim. Now let me take care of your wound.”

            “It’s fine, Pie.”

            “No, you’re not.” Pie goes to the bathroom ad back with a bowl of warm water.

            “I don’t know that you good at fight, Kim.”

            Kim stares Pie with her flat face. There’s no expression at all and Pie doesn’t dare to stares back. Pie takes a medicine on her case and put that on Kim’s face.

            “Done. Goodnight, Kim.”

            Pie rushes to her bed, covers her body with her blanket, and faces the wall. She can felt that Kim still stares at her.

            Damn! What’s wrong with my heart? Why it’s beating so fast? Thought Pie while touches her left chest. And why she must stares at me like that? Oh, God! Thought Pie again.

 

            “Hi, Kim. I thought you’re home,” said Pie as she walks in their room and see Kim on veranda.

            Kim turns her body and faces Pie. “Why you’re here?”

            “Have you forgotten that this is my room too?”

            “I mean, why you’re not going with your friend?”

            “Ah, I dislike sea, you know,” said Pie while watching television.

            “Why?” suddenly, Kim becomes interested then she’s going nearer Pie.

            Pie shakes her head. “Don’t know. I just dislike it.”

            Kim stares her with a doubt. “It’s such nonsense. How could you dislike something when you don’t know the reason?”

            Pie faces Kim with her innocent face. “It’s true, Kim. I hate sea the most, but I don’t know the reason behind it. It just… complicated. Believe it or not, it doesn’t matter to me.” Then she faces television again.

            “Where were you going? Another date with Van?” Kim asks again.

            Pie shakes her head. “No, I was going to the library.”

            “Library and sea, which one you would prefer?”

            Pie’s laughing. “Do I need to answer this? Of course, I’ll go to the library. Silly question, you know.”

            “Can you swim?”

            Pie stares at Kim. “You’re asking too much today, Kim. What’s wrong?”

            “Nothing.” Kim’s lying on her bed.

            She’s so strange, thought Pie. “I can’t swim.”

            “Pie….”

            Pie turns her face to Kim. “Hmm?”

            “Wanna go out with me today?”

            “Seriously?” Pie can’t believe that Kim asked her for going out.

            Kim faces her and stares her. “Yup. So, yes or no?”

            “You’re so strange today, Kim.” Pie’s said what in her mind.

            “Then it’s no, okay.” Kim rolls her body and faces the wall.

            “Hey, it’s not like that. I was just saying what in my mind. Of course, I’ll go out with you. It’s kinda bored just staying at room.”

            “Don’t force yourself.” Kim back acts cold again.

            “I’m not. So, where we’re going?” Pie sounds enthusiast because it’s so rare Kim acts friendly to her.

            “I’m not taking you anywhere. I’m kinda sleepy.”

            Pie come near Kim and shakes her body. “C’mon, Kim, you can’t withdraw your words. Kim….” Pie pouts her lips.

            Kim stares Pie and sigh. “Okay then.” She wakes up from her bed. “Let’s go.”

            Pie smiles happily. “Yeay! Let’s go.”