Happy Anniversary

You and I: Things That Never Change

            The next day, I was fully loaded with school works. I need to do my record book and plan for the coming sports festival. And I think I cannot come to Melanie’s rehearsal. I know that she’ll go to our house later, so why do I have to leave my works?

 

Suddenly, my phone rings. Careless, careless, shoot anonymous, anonymous. No one who care about me.. “Yeobeoseyo?” I answered. “Hey Minnie, it’s Jongin.” Jongin said over the line. I wonder why he called. “What’s up?” I asked while filling my planner. “Is Soojung with you right now?” he asked. What? Why is he asking if Soojung’s with me? “No. She’s not here. Why? What happened?” I asked back feeling nervous to where she might be. “I don’t know either. We’re supposed to go home together, but then our coach in soccer called us for a quick meeting. I told her to wait for me at the gate, but when I went there, she’s nowhere to be seen.” He answered. I know from his voice that he’s somehow in panic. “Have you tried to contact her? Or haven’t you asked the guards where she might have gone?” I asked a little panicky too. “I’ve tried to contact her, but her phone’s unattended. I also tried to contact her mom, but she said she’s not home either. When I asked the guard if she saw Soojung, he said Soojung went with a guy. So I called you, because Soojung will never go with other guys, except you.” He said, with a gargled voice. I quickly packed my things and hurriedly left the school. “Where are you right now? I’m on my way.” I asked while walking faster. “I’m here at the park near our school. I’m still looking for her right now.” He answered. “Wait for me there.” I said and hung up.

 

I quickly went to the park and saw Jongin feeling depressed or something. When I reached his place, I saw a glint of tears on his eyes. Was he crying? “Hey.” I tapped his shoulder. “I still can’t contact her. Taemin, I’m so worried!” he said then cried on my shoulder. So Soojung is Jongin’s weakness. Just like me. “It’s unnecessary to cry like this Jongin. Come on, let’s find her.” I said and quickly grabbed his things, and drag him out of the park. We’re like brothers if you look at us. Jongin is crying, while I am dragging him and carrying his bag like what a big brother can do.

I think I know where Soojung might went, and with whom. Jongin’s elder brother, Jongup. I remembered when Soojung told me about their third year anniversary two weeks ago. I think she’s planning something special for him. Even I, who felt envious of Jongin was excited. And I can’t spill out the truth to Jongin, because it might ruin the surprise. When I looked back, I still saw him crying while covering his eyes with the back of his hand like a little kid who dropped his ice cream. Sometimes he’s like a baby, just like me again, despite the mature appearance we portray. I wonder if we’re twins on our former lives. We really have a lot of similarities, and we even have similarities on our face. In short, we really looked like twins.

 

I dragged Jongin to the amusement park where we three loved to go on our bonding these past few months. “Why are we here? Do you think Soojung will go here without us?” Jongin asked me while still sobbing quietly. “I just felt that she’s here.” I answered. I was right after all. I saw Soojung standing on the other side of the flower garden. She’s smiling happily while pointing her index finger on her lips, which means I need to keep quiet. I slightly nod and lead Jongin to the bench nearby. “Wait here. I’ll just buy you water. I know you’re thirsty of too much cry you made.” I said and ruffled his hair. I don’t know why, but I really felt like he’s my younger brother, since I don’t have any sibling of my own.

 

            I went straight to where Soojung’s located and quickly gave him a hug. “Are you goofing around? You don’t know how Jongin cried like a little kid out in the street earlier. It’s really shameful to drag him like that. What’s running to your mind?” I asked her while poking her forehead. “I’m glad you remembered my plan. Thank you Minnie.” She said and hugged me again, not even answering my question. I just sighed and tapped her head. “Go to him now. I’ll just go and buy him some water. I know he’s thirsty.” I shooed her away. She just nods. I walked through the nearest snack store to grab some water. I don’t know, but suddenly I felt like not going back to the place where I left Jongin. Because I know what I will see. But I have to be brave to face the truth that Soojung will never be mine. Before a tear fell down my eyes, I quickly wiped it away and breathe heavily.

 

            When I went back to the bench, my heart shattered to pieces when I saw the most lovely but the most hurtful scene I’ll ever see. I saw how Soojung walked happily to Jongin. She called his name, and Jongin quickly looked to where the voice were coming. When he saw her, he quickly got up and run towards her. He was crying again but smiling. When he get near her, he quickly grabbed her hand and gave her a big hug. I saw how she laughed between their hug. When Jongin released her after a few seconds, he first poked her forehead like what I did earlier and tangled her hair behind her ears. He cupped her face and kissed her on the lips. OUCH!!! My heart cried. Then the tears I’m controlling earlier flowed to my cheeks. It still hurts. I thought I can forget my feelings for Soojung because of Suzy, but I guess it’s just a pure mistake. Maybe I just forgot my feelings for Soojung for a while, but it will appear again on the most hurtful way it can show you. Just like how it showed me Soojung and Jongin’s sweet moments right now.

Instead of running away, I found myself walking towards their direction while gripping the bottled water tightly to control bursting out my feelings. But I just let my tears flowing down my cheeks. “Wow! That’s the sweetest scene I ever saw. I thought those kind of scenes doesn’t exist on the real world.” I said while smiling. “Taemin? Are you crying? Why?” Soojung asked when they looked at me. “Oh! I was touched by the scene so I can’t help but cry.” I lied. When I looked at Jongin, he’s looking at me with his eyes telling me his message. “I knew it! You have feelings for her. I told you!” That’s what I can read on his eyes. Suddenly he smiled at me sweetly. Aiisshh! This kid is really something, I thought.

“Happy Anniversary oppa!” Soojung exclaimed, then kissed his lips lightly again. OUCH Times 2!! “Happy Anniversary, jagiya.” Jongin greeted back, and kissed her forehead. I slightly coughed fakely, and the couple looked at me and smiled.  I gave Jongin the bottled water and left quickly. “Where are you going?” I heard the both of them asked me back. “I’m leaving you guys now. Enjoy your quality time together. Congratulations on your anniversary.” I said and smiled. I waved at them and turned around. The same time, I let my tears flow rapidly down my cheeks not minding people around looking at me consciously.

Isn’t it ironic? I am in love with my best friend, but my best friend is in love with my other best friend. But my guy best friend knows about my feelings for her girlfriend, but doesn’t mind it, because he cared for me as his friend. Aiisshh!! It’s complicated in other words.

 

I was spacing out when I didn’t notice a girl running towards me. “OPPA!!!” I heard a girl squealed excitedly. I was shocked to hear such a voice. When I looked to where the voice is coming from, I saw Melanie running towards me. I’m still at the amusement park at that time, and I am wondering what she’s doing here. Then I saw some of her co- members walking behind Melanie. I can recall their faces properly. She’s with Juliane, just like Melanie, half- American half- Korean, Tia, the most beautiful of them, she’s half- Korean and half- American, but I guess she has other nationality, Jaeyoon the most clever of them all, and somehow, the pure- blooded Korean, and lastly is Min Soa, the coolest among them, and seems to be their leader. They were all Korean but lives in America for their own reasons.

 

I quickly wiped away the tears on my cheeks, and wear my shades. Then I smiled to them and waved. “What are you doing here?” I asked them, while I hug them one- by- one. “We’re here to enjoy our stay in Korea for some time. Since our rehearsal was dismissed earlier, we decided to visit the amusement park.” Tia answered while rolling her hair. “Oppa, how about you? I thought you’re busy right now?” Melanie asked me while clinging on my arms. Before I answered, I noticed how Min Soa scoffed when she saw how Melanie clings to my arm. I just slightly tapped Min Soa’s head, and answered Melanie. “I just brought a friend of mine here in the amusement park.” “Is that friend of yours that Soojung again?” Melanie asked. “Nope. It’s my other friend, Jongin.” I answered. Before I burst out again, I’ve decided to give the girls a tour around the amusement park. At least I enjoyed myself for a while.

 

 

AN: I imagined the y Kai. I giggled imagining that. hahahaha..

       And now I would like to introduce Chocolat! Consists of Min Soa, Jaeyoon, Julianne, Tia, and Melanie.