Summer Sadness

You and I: Things That Never Change

 

            “Summer, summer, summer, summer!!!” all the students shouted outside the corridor. Atlast!! Summer has finally arrived. It means, we can all have the good times we want. And I wanted to enjoy this summer.

“Sir Taemin!! What are your plans this summer?” one of my students asked.  “Uhh.. Maybe I’ll go to the beach, or visit my other relatives around Korea. Or maybe go back to America. I don’t know. It depends on the situation. How about you girls? Do you have any plans this summer?” I asked them sweetly. They giggled first then told me all their plans. After they told me everything, I patted their heads one by one, and said, “Your plans are all wonderful. Well, enjoy your vacation girls. And take me in your dreams.” Then I gave my killer smile. They all blushed and squealed in front of me. Oh well. I’m used to their squealing nowadays. “You too sir! Have fun, and don’t forget us!” they said in unison.”I will. Happy vacation!!” I said and waved at them.

 

            The next day, I woke past 9 am, and mom and dad’s on their works now. So, I was left alone in the house. I went down to the kitchen and prepared my breakfast since I said to mom yesterday that do not mind herself on making breakfast for me. I went to the fridge and take out the gallon of milk, and some bananas on the fruits basket. I’m going to do my favorite banana milk shake! And of course, I want it to be extra special, so I put some ice cream in it. Still, my favorite. While doing my milk shake, I eat my fruity cereal. Then, I know that my milk shake’s done, so I pour it to my favorite banana glass. Come to think of it, why do I really like banana? I don’t know why, but since I was a kid, I always liked banana.

            While I was enjoying my breakfast that day, the doorbell rang. Err! Can’t they see that I’m in the middle of enjoying my breakfast? I answered the door, and to my surprise, it’s Soojung and jongin. Oh great! I’m still on my pajamas. When Jongin saw me, he burst out laughing. But Soojung just looked at me.

 

 “Mind to tell me the reason why you’re laughing Jongin?” I asked him. He first wiped away the tears in his eyes before he answered me. “Who the hell will not laugh, if they saw you like that? Just look at you Teacher Taemin! In pink pajamas, with  pink rabbit slippers holding a pink banana shaped glass and a bed hair!” you looked like a.. someone! Then he burst out laughing again. “Well, come to think of it, Jongin doesn’t know your appearance during vacation.” Soojung said chuckling. “What are you two doing in here?” I asked them to change the topic. “We would like to invite you to our vacation galore!” Soojung exclaimed excitedly. “Summer galore?” I asked curiously. “Yup! We’ll go to Jeju Island with our parents. It will be a one week vacation. And we just asked your parents too. And they will come too. So, what’s your decision?” Soojung asked expecting. “I’m sorry, I can’t come.” I said while looking at the floor. They were dumbfounded on my words. “Why?” Soojung asked. Because I don’t want to see you with Jongin happily while I am just staring at the two of you. That’s what I wanted to say, but I know I can’t. “I need to finish my school works. And I’m attending a seminar for a few weeks. It will be out of the country for some time.” I lied. But honestly, I don’t have schedules this vacation. I will be a bored banana for the whole summer. “Why don’t you just cancel all your schedules and go with us? I’m sure it will be a lot of fun. Come on Taeminnie!” Soojung asked me while staring at me with her puppy eyes. “I’m sorry, I really can’t. it’s a tight schedule, and it is really important.” I said with finality. “Fine! Do whatever you want!” Soojung said and stomped out of the house, leaving Jongin and me. Then after five seconds, Jongin chased after Soojung without saying any word. I sighed. “I wish, I can chase you like that Soojung.” I mumbled while closing the door.

Then I received a text message from Soojung after a while.

To: Bestie

From: Soojung Best (Love)

            YOU’RE A BASTARD LEE TAEMIN!! I HATE YOU!!! 100x!

 

I just chuckled and put my phone in silent mode until the rest of the day. And the next day, they all went to Jeju Island, together with mom and dad. I hope they have a great vacation there.

            I don’t know what to do that day, so I just walked outside on the park near our village. It’s really peaceful on this park, so I strolled around taking pictures of the kids on the playground together with their parents. I also took some pictures of cute pets around. And atlast! I’ve thought of buying a pet dog or cat. But then I realized, mom is allergic to furry animals, so I just shrugged and just enjoyed the view of the animals being fed by the pet store owner.

            After two hours of strolling around the park, I ate my lunch in a fast food chain on my favorite dukbokki restaurant. It’s just near the park. I really enjoyed eating the dukbokki alone. But, I’m soooooo booooored!!!! I wanted to do something, but I don’t know what, so I just thought of enjoying myself with the dukbokki. And I need to go out for the whole, so that my parents will not doubt whether I stayed on the house, or is just lying to them. After an hour at the restaurant, I’ve decided to just go home and sleep.

 

            The same thing goes on and on every day. I need to go out of the house and enjoy myself around Seoul. On the fourth day of being alone in the house, I felt strange all of a sudden. I felt dizzy and wanted to vomit. When I checked my temperature, I was shocked to see that I have a fever. But why? Is it because I always eat restaurant foods?? That was a lame excuse. I think it is because of the rain yesterday. It started to rain while I was walking home from the supermarket to buy some bananas and milks. Then I was in the middle of walking when the heavy rain poured. I did not bring any umbrella that day so I ran to the nearest shed as fast as I can. When I reached the shed, I was drenched from head to toe. And the rain just poured stronger just like there’s no tomorrow. When I felt that the rain finally stopped, I rapidly went to the bus stop and rode the bus. I felt cold inside and out. And when I got in the house, my clothes were dry. I felt really sleepy so I fell asleep on the couch, not minding to change my clothes.

            Oh great! Now what? I have a fever now, and it’s pretty high. Then suddenly, mom called. “Yeobeoseyo?” I answered weakly. “Taemin, are you alright? Why is your voice so weak?” my mom asked over the line worriedly. “I’m fine mom. I’m just a little sleepy today.” I lied. I don’t want my mom to be worried. “So, how’s Jeju?” I asked, feeling lonely. “Oh! It’s really great in here! The resort is so fantastic! Oh, we’re having barbecue today. Too bad you’re not with us.” She answered happily. “Yeah. Well, I hope you enjoy your stay there. I have to go now mom. The seminar’s about to continue.” I lied again. “Yeah, sure thing Taeminnie.” Mom said, and she hangs up. After that, I wanted to cry. I miss them!! Arrgghh!! Why do I have to let my emotions take over my decisions? I hate it! Next time, I’ll change that attitude for the best. Then I felt sleepy again, not wanting to eat anything. And I thought of Soojung while happily playing around the shore with Jongin and some kids in Jeju. I hope I can see her like that in person.

Then, the next day, I can’t even stand anymore. I felt cold all over, and my head really felt dizzy. I even vomit three times in a row. Arrgghh!! I hate vomiting! It tastes really awful! After I vomit for the last time, I cried on the bathroom, feeling helpless. I wanted to see mom and dad all of a sudden.

            I was in my crying position, when I heard a car stopping in front of the house. I quickly stopped crying and tried my very best to look outside the window, and to my surprise, I saw Suzy. She quickly saw me and frowned a little when she saw me looking paled. I left a smile before I collapsed on the floor. Before I totally lost my consciousness, I heard Suzy calling me.