You and I: Things That Never Change

You and I: Things That Never Change

It’s been ten years after I went to America, and now, I’m back here in Korea. A lot has changed since then, our neighbors are different, and the little store ten years ago is now a grocery store, but with different owner. Even our house has changed a lot, especially its structure. Everything changed.

 

            “Taemin, why don’t you visit Mrs. Jung? I’m sure she’ll be delighted to see you after 10 years. And I’m sure Soojung will also be very glad to see you.” My mom said after I went downstairs.

When I heard her name, my heart skipped a bit. She still has that effect on my system. Well, I’m talking about my childhood best friend Soojung. I left the country when I was 10 years old, and Soojung is 9 years old then. But I can still remember how she laughs, how she pout her pinkish lips, how she whines everytime I , and how she cried a lot when I told her that I will be studying abroad. And right now, I don’t exactly know how I’ll act in front of her. I wonder what she looks right now.

 

            Soojung’s house is right beside our house. The house also changed a lot. I’m hesitating to push the buzzer. Well, I’m shy to face her, after that cry she had for me ten years ago. I.. I don’t think I can do this. Not now! I’m starting to walk away but suddenly.. “Yes sir? Can I help you?” !! I guess it’s Mrs. Jung. Oh no! I can’t escape now. Just face the reality Taemin. When I turn around, it’s Mrs. Jung, Soojung’s beautiful mom.

            “Hi, Mrs. Jung. It’s me, Taemin.” I greeted. She gasped when she heard my name. “Oh My Goodness!!! Is that really you Taemin? I can’t believe it. You’ve grown up a lot now! And very handsome eh. Come inside.” She said tugging me inside their house.

            When I entered their house, I saw that a lot has changed on how their interior design looked like. But it’s still welcoming and cheerful to the eyes. I reminisced on the ambiance and how Soojung and I played along this house, how we watched Teletubbies on their television, how we cooked our first cake, cupcakes and cookies together, and how we played along the pool and into the pool.

 

            “Taemin? Is that really you?” a girl said. Double ! My heart! Please, stop beating too much. I think I’ll have a heart attack right now!! AHHHHH!!!!

“Taemin? Are you all right?” she asked. I need to look at her. I turn around and Alas! I saw her. Her eyes are still expressive as always. Her complexion is now as fair as a snow. Her hair is wavy and ebony black. Her skin is very sleek, and on the first sight, you’ll think that it’s very smooth and soft. And she smiles. Triple ! That smile makes my knees tremble again. It’s the same smile, but this time, she’s glowing and is very lovely.

“Hi Soojung. It’s been a long time.” I greeted smiling. I was still shocked on her appearance when she suddenly hugged me tightly. “I missed you a lot!!” she said in a very happy voice. Then in just a snap, my nervousness fades away, and I’ve got teary eyed. I hugged her back and mutters “Sorry..” She let go of me, and looked at me intensely. “What for?” she asked. “For leaving you for ten years. I remembered that I promised you back then that I will never leave you, but then I left you.” And I burst into tears. “Aww.. you’re still the Taemin I knew. You’re still a cry baby. Look, you don’t have to say sorry. And besides, you came back. That means you never left me. Now, get yourself composed before mommy sees you like that. You know what will happen if she caught you crying.” She then wiped the remaining tears in my eyes and cheeks. I felt her palms. It’s very soft and very gentle, as usual. And yes, I am the cry baby between the two of us. She wails, whines, or pout, but I never saw Soojung cried in front of me, for seven years I became her best friend. She’s always the one telling me to stop crying everytime I have injuries, or when our teacher scolds me for being naughty inside our classroom. And then we’ll buy ice cream in the nearby ice cream vendor, and then we’ll laugh out loud when we spill the ice cream on our dresses. Then, there came mom and Mrs. Jung scolding our messy shirts. But in just a sweet smile from me and Soojung, their anger was lost. Those were the days before I left for America. I can still remember our last conversation the day before my flight to America and her tears that kept flashing back to my mind since I went to America;

We’re in my room playing chess. “Uh.. Soojungie?” I muttered. “Shhh.. I’m concentrating. I will not lose to you right now Taeminnie.” She shushed me. I became silent, and just stares at her. I hope my eyes will not get teary eyed. I don’t want to leave Soojung. My sweetest Soojung. I can’t take it just to imagine that I will never hold her hands again. That I will never see her smiles, or even hear her laughs about my corny jokes. I can never see her again. And then the silent sobs were released from my mouth. Soojung was taken aback when she saw me crying while staring at her wide eyed.

            “Taemin? Why are you crying?” she asked me while standing to get to my side. I harshly wiped my nose from the leak it made, but then I can’t control my emotions. I burst out, and cried out loud. Good thing that mom and dad is not in the house right now. “Soojung, I’m sorry!! I’m sorry!! I’m sorry!!” I repeatedly burst out. “Why are you apologizing? Did you do something wrong? Taemin, it’s fine, you know that I can’t take it when you cry like this.” She said, while comforting me. “No! Soojung, I.. I can never see you again. I will go to America tomorrow with dad. I will study there, and I will never see you again.” I said while crying as loud as I can. Soojung stopped tapping my back and she fell silent for a few minute.

My crying stopped, and only sobs were heard around the room. And for the first time in our seven year- friendship, I saw her tears. She did not look at me, and just went out of my room running. She left me in my room silent and shocked to see her tears flowing from her cheeks. I followed her up to her house. I can’t take it to see that tears on her beautiful eyes. I entered their house and ran to Soojung’s room. I knocked a few times, “Soojung.. please let me talk to you. I don’t want to leave the country with a burden in my heart. I don’t want to leave you like this. Please Soojung, let me talk to you for a moment.” I plead on her with tears welling up my eyes. Then she opened the door. She gained her composure and is now looking at me with a shy look. “I.. I’m sorry for running out of your house.” She said while looking at the floor. Without a word, I hugged her tightly and cry on her shoulder for a while. She did not scold me or say something. We just stayed in that position for how many minutes I guess. I was wondering if she’s crying. If she is, I don’t want to see her tears. Those tears are very delicate, that no man can be allowed to see that. And after a few minutes of silence, I finally lose her from my hug. She is now smiling at me, and wiped my tears away. Those hands are really soft.

            “I’m sorry if I did not tell you a long time ago. I just can’t imagine that I will leave you alone. If I only have a choice, I will choose not to leave the country. But my dad needs to take me to America because of Grandpa and Grandma.” I said. “I know, I know. Taemin, please don’t cry. I love you that I can’t take it to see you crying like that.” She said. It’s those comforting words that I want to cry again. She’s really my precious best friend.

“Hey, Taemin. Promise me one thing. Promise me that you’ll never ever ever ever forget your best friend. I am your one true best friend. Get it?” she said cupping my face with her hands. I just nod. And I hugged her again. But this time, I am happy to leave the country, because I know that Soojung will be strong even when I’m not around. I’m very sure of that.

            At 2:00 am, I and my dad left Korea. With a burdened heart, I left Soojung waving for her farewell. It’s the saddest goodbye for me. But what makes me sadder is the fact that Soojung accepted my farewell to her, while my heart shatters from loneliness. She’s really brave.

 

“Hey Taemin! What happened to you? Cat got your tongue?” Soojung asked, staring at me. “Huh? Uhh.. no! Of course not. I just remembered something.” I said. “Pfft.. I’m sure you remembered the day you left right? Uh- huh.. you still can’t get over it?? Boo- Hoo, still a cry- baby.” She said laughing. Her laugh is really a lullaby to my ears. “Yah!! I’m not a cry- baby anymore!” I yelled while smiling. She just continued teasing me. Ahh!! She never changed.

 

AN: I think all the chapters will be short. I wrote this story since last year, and I felt a little sad with this story. I don't know why, but everytime I write this story, I can't help but to shed tears. Maybe because I'm really not into stories like this. Well, happy reading. Ahh.. I reversed the setting. I mean I sent taemin to US while Soojung stays in Korea. hahahaha