You're My Best Friend

You and I: Things That Never Change

The next day when I woke up, all I thought was last night’s text message from Soojung. She admitted that she’s jealous of Suzy. Daebak!! So I went downstairs happily while humming the three bear song. That’s my and Soojung’s favorite song when we were children.

It’s weekend so I don’t need to rush to get ready for school. I’m just lingering around lazily while preparing for my heart to heart conversation with Soojung later.

“Looks like someone’s happy today, right dad?” Mom said smiling while preparing the  breakfast. “Annyeong haseyo mom. Is it bad to be happy for quite some time?” I greeted while giving mom a back hug. I swayed her playfully, and she just chuckled. “Daddy, your son is turning 6 years old again. Could you scold him for me? You know I can’t resist him while doing this.” She said to dad while pointing at me. And I saw my dad smirked. This means we’ll make fun of mom. Ahh.. The usual sweet mornings with my parents. “Mommy, you don’t want me to turn sweet to you? I’m sure dad is thinking just like me. You don’t want two of the most handsome guys in your life being sweet with you?” I asked sweetly while doing my dying pout. (Hey, I never showed it to anyone, even Soojung. It’s just between me, my mom, and my dad. Because I know when I exposed my killer pout, every girl in the neighborhood will went head over heels to me. Bwahahaha! What a confidence you have there Taeminnie!)

Then the usual naughty and saultry father and son tandem teased mommy to death. We kept on laughing non- stop for a couple of minutes and decided to eat our breakfast happily. It’s really fulfilling to have your family complete and happy without worries in life.

            And now is the time to face my best friend. I went to the Jung’s house and started to press the doorbell. After two doorbells, I heard the answer machine beside the gate. “Good morning Mrs. Jung, it’s Taemin. Is Soojung there?” I said to the speaker. “Oh, Taemin, come in. The gate is open now. ” I heard Mrs. Jung answered. I entered the gate and saw Soojung on her bedroom’s window looking at me. I waved at her and smiled, and entered the house.

            “Good morning Taemin. Soojung’s upstairs. Just go to her room. I’ll just go to the supermarket.” Mrs. Jung said while going out of the door. “Take care Mrs. Jung.” I waved at her, and closed the door. I went upstairs and went straight to Soojung’s room. When I get there, I knocked three times before switching the knob. I peeked inside and saw her looking out of the window. She just got up and looked like a child with her messy bed hair. She never changed, I thought.

“Hey.” I greeted. She turned to look at me and greeted back, “Hey.” There’s an awkward silence between the two of us and no one dared to talk. I looked at the floor, while she kept on staring outside the window. Just then, I saw a very familiar item on the far corner of her bed. “WHOA!! It’s.. It’s.. It’s a banana pillow!!!” I screamed. I went straight to the pillow and took it. “IT’S SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!!!!” I yelled. I really love banana. Any type of banana, as long as it’s a banana, it doesn’t matter. “Where did you get this bestie? I want like this too!!” I asked her while hugging the pillow tightly. I am blushing for so much anticipation with that banana pillow. When I looked at Soojung, she’s laughing like a kid. “I knew it! I knew that when you see that pillow you’ll go crazy and head over heels with that.” She said while laughing. “Yah!! I’m asking you where you bought this pillow. I want like this too!! Why do you keep on laughing??” I said while stomping my feet like a child. She can’t contain her laughing, so I wait for her to stop while tapping my foot on the floor. At last! After 2 minutes of laughing she stopped. She’s wiping her tears, and walked through me. Without further notice, she hugged me like there’s no tomorrow.

“Yah Banana boy, sorry if I became childish in front of you the last time we’re together.” She said while hugging me. I was so shocked on her actions so I stayed still in her embrace. “Are you still mad at me? I said I’m sorry.” She asked. Maybe because I’m not reacting on what she said earlier. “Ani! I’m not mad anymore.” I answered while shaking my head. “Then why aren’t you talking?” she asked again. This time, she let go of me. “Because.. I felt guilty too. I mean, about the words I told you last time in the restaurant when Suzy came. I’m sorry.” I said while looking down the floor. “You don’t have to say sorry about that. I became rude at that time because I don’t like girls who jump on a guy without hesitating. I know it’s what you called liberated, but I don’t really like it.” She said. She’s saying that while staring at my eyes intently with a knotted forehead. I laughed with her face. “Your forehead is knotted like an ageing woman. You’re not beautiful at all.” I said while laughing. “Mwo!?! I’m always beautiful. Even when I aged.” She said proudly. “Hmm.. Arasso, arasso.” I just said while nodding with eyes shot. She throws at me the banana pillow I left at the bed earlier when she hugged me. When I saw her throwing the pillow I easily catch it and hugged it tightly. “Thank you!! Now, this banana is mine. Whoohoo!!” I said while jumping around the room. “No it’s not yours! Jongin gave that to me.” She said. When I heard it, I suddenly stopped jumping around, and made a sad face. She looked at me confused. I can’t be like that so I eye smiled at her and smiled. “Then maybe I will ask Jongin to buy me a pillow like this too.” I said then chuckled. “Yah! Are you his boyfriend? You can’t ask him like that.” She said while giving her cute pout. “Hmm.. For your information he’s my boy best friend. And there’s nothing wrong with that.” I said and stick out my tongue. She just rolled her eyes and sat on the edge of her bed.

 

“Hey. Is Suzy your new best friend now?” she asked and looked at me. “Why did you ask?” I asked her, testing her. “This past weeks, I noticed that she’s always with you. She even picks you up in your house. Where were you going then?” she asked me. “Well, anywhere. She’s fun to be with. We’ve gone to the amusement park, to the malls around Seoul, in Gangnam district, and sometimes we’ll just have a road trip around, not knowing where to go.” I narrated happily. In part of my mind, I suddenly missed Suzy. But why? Am I beginning to like her? Then Soojung scoffed. “So, is she your girlfriend now? I mean, I saw you yesterday morning hugging her, and then I even saw both of you kissed last night. Is she your girlfriend now?” she asked. Did I saw a glint of somewhat.. jealousy? Ani! It’s not that. Maybe it’s because she doesn’t like Suzy. I shook my head. “Nope. She’s not my girlfriend. That morning when you saw us hugging, it’s because I threw my alarm clock outside the window and hit her in the head. When I went down, I saw her tears, so I hugged her. Then the last night’s kiss, it’s really nothing. I was also shocked to what she did. But then, she always took advantage of me, especially when I’m in good mood.” I explained. Then unknowingly, I noticed her eyes somehow relieved. Ahh!! Lee Taemin, you pabo! Don’t expect!

“And, my answer to your question, she’s not my new best friend. You will remain in the throne. Don’t worry too much okay? We’re just closed friends, nothing more. She’s nice to me, so I’m nice to her. And besides her sister is the president of my fan club, so I don’t want to frustrate her.” I said while smiling.

 

Then I saw her smiled. At least I know that she’s not anymore concerned about her position as my best friend. “Arasso. You’re still my best friend.” She smiled again, but somewhat; I saw something on her smile. Is she frustrated? But why?

Even when a lot of friends come and go, Soojung and I will forever be the bestest friend in the whole world.

I looked at her and smiled sweetly, “So, is the banana pillow mine now?” I asked expectantly. She chuckled, “No! Buy your own pillow.” Then go to the bathroom while smiling. At least we reconciled.