The Rich, The Spontaneous, and The Jealousy

You and I: Things That Never Change

And just like that, a girl named Suzy stole my first kiss. But come to think of it, I haven’t had my first kiss, even though I’m turning 21 this year. Oh No!! What are you thinking Taemin! This isn’t right. I pushed her out of my face harshly. “What are you thinking? Have you lost your mind? Why did you kissed me?” I asked while wiping my lips. “Oh! I’m sorry, but it’s just my way of expressing my feelings for you. And besides, I’ve heard that you don’t have a girlfriend. So what’s the big deal with that? Don’t you like my kiss?” she asked seductively while her eyes are playfully looking at me. “I’m sorry, but I think it’s inappropriate for a girl to kiss a man in the public’s face without feeling humiliated.” I said softly. “Oh! Don’t worry about them. Well, they can only look at us, but they can never complain about us.” She said, while raising her voice for everyone to hear. I guess she has a power among the people in this shop. I can’t help but to smirk on how she acts. She looks like a devil in an angel’s body.

While thinking about her, I forgot about the girl in front of me. When I looked at her, she’s still shocked on what happened earlier up to the point that she became speechless over what she saw. “Hey, Jungie! Are you there? Earth to Soojung, come back to Earth right away.” I said while snapping my fingers in front of her eyes. And she blinked several times before she recovered from her shock. “That’s not a dream right?” she asked softly. I nod. “And who’s this girl?” I heard Suzy asking me, while looking at Soojung. “Uhh.. Do I have to explain? Well, she’s my friend.” I answered, still dumbfounded. “His best friend.” Soojung added. When I looked at her, I saw a glint of frustration in her eyes. What’s wrong? “Oh! So Taemin’s best friend is a girl? I can’t believe it. I mean, don’t you ever felt the urge of liking my sweet Taemin in here?” she asked Soojung. “What? Excuse me Miss Suzy, but Soojung has a boyfriend, and since we’re kids we’re together as best friends, so I guess there’s no harm in finding out that a girl and a boy can best friends. ” I exclaimed feeling defensive. Of course, inside I’m really hurt by my own words. Stupid me! Why do I always have to felt guilty over my own words?

“Oh, okay, whatever you say Taemin. Hey, can I get your number? You know, just for me to have contact with you. And don’t worry! I won’t tell my sister about our acquaintance.” She said sweetly. She’s . “Sure.” I get my phone from my pocket and gave it to her. She entered her number, and even took a picture of her on my phone. I heard Cindy softly snarled. And I took Suzy’s phone and did the same as she did. After that, she bid goodbye to us and left the shop while smiling. She’s really pretty, especially her eyes. But I can see something behind her eyes. I guess she’s keeping a private background. Oh! The curious cat Taemin came back.

            “With just a sweet smile you gave her your number? What a ert.” Soojung said to me. When I looked at her, I saw, irritation and fuming anger. Is she somehow.. jealous? No! it can’t be that. “Why do you look so upset? She did not do anything to you.” I asked while smiling. “I’m not upset! I’m angry! Why are there girls like that one? I mean, have you seen how she looks at you? She’s like peeling you clothes off like a banana. I hate her guts. I think she’s an easy- to- get girl. I think she’s a in itemized attire.” She said with knotted eyebrows. I did not like her words. “YAH! Soojung, what are you saying? Please watch you language silly girl! She’s just being nice to me, and there’s no harm with that. And you’re not the one she kissed. So what’s the problem with that?” Without letting her answer my question, I stood up and leave. But before that, I said something to her, “You should reflect on your attitude today. Once you knew your mistake, that’s the time I will talk to you again silly girl.” Without looking back, I left her in the donut shop. I don’t know what happened to me, but I felt somehow mad at her. I’ve never done that to her, I mean walking out on our conversation. I know I hurt her by my words, but I can’t accept the fact that she’s changing in my eyes as time goes by. And I’m scared to know more about her changes. With that, I took out my phone from my pocket and contact a friend of mine.

“Jongin? It’s Taemin. Can we meet today? Let’s have a drink. Okay, see you then.” I press the end button and load to the taxi. Yeah, you heard it right. It’s Jongin, Soojung’s boyfriend. We became friends after that not so long conversation in the supermarket.

 

                                                                                                       

“What’s the sudden call Taemin? Is anything wrong?” Jongin asked me, while pouring me another glass of vodka. He’s the same age as us, and I can say that he has a very good alcohol tolerance. “Nothing. It’s just that I’ve noticed Soojung is a little childish nowadays. Do you know the reason? I mean, he’s not like that last month. And earlier, she even trash talked about my student’s sister.” I complained to him. “She actually bashed a girl? Wow! That was rarely in scene of Soojung. I mean, she never talked that to a girl. Well, maybe she’s jealous of that Suzy, because she’s thinking that your student’s sister is snatching you away from her.” He said while chuckling. What the hell!! She’s jealous? Never in my mind has that single word entered. Does Jongin actually know what I’m thinking right now? If ever, I wonder his reaction.

            “Hey Taemin, can I say something?” he asked me with a serious tone. “Yeah, sure. What is it?” I asked. He first cleared his throat, and I guess he’s looking for the timing. “Well, since you’re my friend now, I guess there’s no harm on saying my thoughts to you right? Well, I know that you have feelings for Soojung. I can sense that. But, I know that you’re afraid to tell her about your feelings, because you thought that she might get distant from you. And because I came to her life just like that, you’re feeling insecure and more distant to your true feelings for her.” He said intently not leaving my eyes. My jaw dropped to his words. It’s exactly the way I’m thinking that. “I.. I.. don’t know what you’re talking about.” I lied while stuttering. He chuckled a bit with my words. “Don’t fool yourself Taemin. You know your own emotions. And for me, you’re like a glass. You can easily be read. Look, it’s not a big matter to me. I know Soojung has those feelings for you too. But she’s forcing herself not to admit that to herself, because she’s afraid and hasn’t had the courage to accept that fact. Or maybe her feelings for you is still immature. But right when you told me how furious she was with that Suzy, I think the fire is starting to flick in her heart.” He said. “What are you talking about Jongin? It’s not how I imagined you when you know that I have feelings for your girlfriend! I repeat, YOUR GIRLFRIEND!” I shouted feeling queasy inside. The people inside the bar looked at us. What is he thinking? Has he been a masochist?

            “Hey, keep calm okay? I know you’re thinking I’m a big jerk for being a masochist. But, I treasured friendship more than anything. I’m just stating the fact. Besides, if ever we broke up or so, the guy I wanted for her is her best friend. The guy who loves her and will continue to love her up to his last breath. And I know it’s you Taemin. I love Soojung just like how you love her. But I think it will be unfair for her and for me if I keep her with me. She will be hurt, and at the same time I will fool myself for believing that she still loves me although it’s not the fact anymore.” He explained calmly. I understand what he’s saying now, but I’m still confused on his mindset. Is he up to something? AARRGGHH!! I don’t understand him. But at least, I have him as a companion who understands me like an open book. Then suddenly his phone ring. “I’m sorry, I’ll just answer this.” He excused while he accept the call. “Hello babe. What’s up?” he asked. I think he’s talking to Soojung. I can see that his eyes were sparkling. I smiled slightly on his expression. “Yup. Taemin’s with me right now. What? I can’t leave him here. We’re in the middle of good stories. Look Soojung, if anything happened between the two of you, don’t bring it with me. Taemin’s my friend too. I can’t be the pebble between two rocks.” He said while his forehead is somehow knotted. I guess he’s pissed off. Soojung is beginning to be childish again. I heard Jongin sighed. “Fine. I’ll go.” He said then hung up. “I’m sorry Taemin but..” I stopped his sentence. “It’s alright Jongin. Go to Soojung now.” I said while smiling. “I’m really sorry Taemin. I need to go.” He said and ran.

I was left silent in the table. Then I thought of everything Jongin told me earlier. Man! This is crazy!

 

            It’s been three weeks since Soojung didn’t talk to me. Even when our families were having joined dinner, she still ignores me like she’s really mad at me. I know that our parents noticed that, but they just remain silent. And of course, Suzy is calling and texting me nonstop.

To: Taemin Love

From: Pretty Suzy

 

OPPA!!! Can you accompany me to the mall tomorrow? I wanted to ask your opinion about the dress I’m going to wear for the recognition day on your school next week. Pretty please???? (Puppy eyes..)

 

I received her text message, and smiled on how she uses her cute sides on me everytime she’s making a request.

 

To: Suzy Cute

From: Gorgeous Taemin

 

Sure! Good thing it’s holiday tomorrow. Haha.. What time?

 

Then I pressed send.

 

In just a second, my phone received a reply from her.

To: Taemin Love

From: Pretty Suzy

 

I’ll pick you up tomorrow in your house. Be right there at exactly 10 am. I’m excited for tomorrow. Well, see you. I need to get some rest. Beautiful ladies need to be more beautiful than ever. Love lots. (Wink!) Goodnight sweetie!

I left a chuckle on her text. She’s really frank on her fellings. Somehow, I’m comfortable around her. She’s like a dear friend. But I really don’t have special feelings for her. I just look at her like a friend. And by thinking like that, I fell asleep holding my phone.

 

            The next day, I woke up while hearing my alarm clock ringing furiously at my bedside table. “Oh Man!! It’s only 9! Arrgghh!!” I groaned and took the alarm clock and throw it outside the window. Then suddenly a loud ouch was heard outside. I was shocked and get up immediately. When I look out of the window, I saw Suzy looking at the alarm clock on the ground while holding her head. “Oh my goodness!Suzy, are you alright?” I asked while looking at her concerned on her head. Then I saw tears flow down her cheeks. Is she crying? I immediately ran out of the house and ran to her. “Are you alright? I’m so sorry! It’s always my habit to throw the alarm clock out of the window.” I said while looking at her cupping her face. “It’s alright. I’m fine. Don’t worry, I was just shocked of the flying alarm clock.” She said then smiled sweetly. I saw her puffy eyes and red nose. That made me wants to hug her. But why? Then I heard her chuckle a bit and saw her looking at me like it’s the first time she saw a human. “What’s wrong?” I asked curiously. “You looked y on your bed hair. And your pajamas.” She said while laughing. Her cheeks turned red. She’s very blooming. No! She’s really PRETTY. I just scratched my nape and looked at her shyly. “I think you better wait for me to prepare inside. Come in.” I just said while dragging her inside the house. Mom and dad were not there because of their work, which means it’s only me and Suzy in the house right now. When she sat on the sofa, I went to the kitchen and poured orange juice on the glass for her. “Here just for refreshment. I’ll be right back. I’ll just go prepare myself.” I said then right back to my room. I just took an easy bath and choose the clothes I’ll wear. I just chose a red polo shirt and comfortable jeans, and put my sneakers. Just like my usual style. When I went out of my room, I saw Suzy admiring the paintings. Then she saw me and was dumbfounded on the stairs.

“Oh my God! Oppa, you looked hot on your outfit!” she exclaimed then clings to my arm. “Eh? I just wear my usual clothes.” I said while chuckling. “It means, you’re really that gorgeous? I can’t believe it.” She exclaimed. She’s really comfortable to be with. “Let’s go?” she asked. “Yeah, sure.” I said then dragged her out of the house. Just then and then, I saw Cindy passing by. She saw me and Suzy walking out of the house while laughing. When I saw her, I waved to her shyly, but she just looked at me then ignored me completely. OUCH! That hurts Soojung! Don’t you know that?

“She’s the girl with you the day we first met right?” Suzy asked while looking at me. “Yes. She’s my best friend. But right now, I don’t know.” I answered while following her with my eyes. She just shrugged and dragged me to her car.

 

We went to the shopping district where all the malls are glamorous and truly exquisite. We’re now on our fourth shop, and Suzy is still looking for the right dress. While in every shops, she bought one or two items like a dress, or shoes. It depends on the style. The price doesn’t matter to her. She said that as long as you become more beautiful, price is not a problem. I just wait for her while looking at the magazines. Then she snapped me. “Hey, I need your help! What do you think about this dress? Is it fine with me or the details are too lavish?” she asked while looking at herself in the mirror. “Honestly? It suits you, but I think the color and the details are too flashy. Wait here.” I said, and looked around. The sales ladies are looking at me while looking at the set of dresses. Then a cerulean blue dress caught my eyes. It’s details are very plain but it gives emphasis on the dress itself. Whoever wears this dress will surely be an attraction. Especially when a girl wearing this is beautiful and classy. I think it will fit Suzy perfectly.

“Here. Try it on.” I said while handling the dress. She was shocked to me, but she just accepts the dress and went to the fitting room. When she went out, I think I just saw an angel in blue. Her skin matched the dress perfectly. “H.. How do I look?” she asked shyly. “You’re.. beautiful.” Then I heard her scoffed. She’s turning tomato red, then suddenly, she shrieked. “I’ll take this miss. And take all the dress I get earlier. I’ll take them all.” She said to the saleslady. “Wait! All those dress? Are you sure? It cost a lot of fortune.” I exclaimed in shockness. “It’s all right. Because you told me that I am beautiful. I’m very happy right now!” she answered happily while concealing her red face. I just laughed with her cute side again. Then I tapped her head like a kid and went out of the shop. When I turned around, I saw her looking at me while her two hands are in her lips. “I’ll just wait for you outside.” I said then turned around. I think with her child- like attitudes and expressions, I’m beginning to like her, a bit.

 

After two hours of strolling, we’ve decided to eat in a classy restaurant. It’s not my first time in this kind of restaurant, because usually in US I eat in this kind of place with my friends or professors when a fair was done successfully. I took a steak with mashed potatoes and asparagus on the side. It’s my favorite in any elegant restaurant like this. Suzy ordered the same like mine. We’re chit- chatting about the school, about my life in America, about her sister, about my fan club, her pet dog and cat, about our family, and many more. She’s a very talkative and jolly person. She has good sense of humor and very friendly. I did not find a hanging time while she’s talking or telling me stories. I laughed a lot and at the same time, my feeling is starting to nurture. Then suddenly, I remembered Soojung and my undying love for her. It suddenly snapped to my mind and realized I was so mesmerized about how Suzy is fun to be with while my best friend is still furious at me.

We went home after we chit- chat more at the park nearby. She’s really pretty and somehow childish. But I loved it. Although I’m a bit curious about her other side. I think she’s hiding something.

She sends me to my house at around eight in the evening. “Hey, I had a good time with you today. I never thought that I’ll enjoy my shopping with you.” I said honestly. “Yeah. Me too. Thank you for accompanying me.” She said while looking at me shyly. I can’t help it. She really is cute when she’s like that. I tapped her head again. Then went out of the car. “Goodnight. And drive safely okay?” I said before I closed the car’s door. Just then, she called me. “Oppa!” when I looked around, I saw her running to me and kissed my lips. Her kiss is very light, but I felt a butterfly on my stomach. What’s that? Without further do, she left me and yell goodnight to me. Then the car sped away. Just then, I saw Soojung holding a plastic bag. She’s dumbfounded on what she saw and stayed on the corner of the street while looking at me. I can’t help it. I felt guilty because she saw me like that. So instead of approaching her, I walked inside the house while gripping my fist tightly. I don’t want her to see me like that. I felt guilty. Really guilty.

That night, I can’t sleep. It keeps on popping out of my mind. Suzy kissing me, the butterfly feeling, and Soojung. I really can’t sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then suddenly, someone texted me.

 

To: Bestie

From: Soojungie Best (Love)

 

            I saw you and that Suzy girl together early this morning and you waved at me. I immediately regret that I did not even looked at you. When I turned around I just saw your back while getting in her car. Then this evening, I came from the grocery store then I saw both of you in the car. Then I saw her running towards you after you get off the car then she kissed you. I was really shocked with that. I was about to ignore you but you first walked away like you didn’t see me. What’s happening with us Taemin? I missed you already but I think you’re being stubborn and all when you started befriending that girl. Is she your new best friend? I was deeply hurt. I admit that I’m really jealous right now. I hope you reply on this.

 

When I read her text message, I can’t help but to feel more regretful, but at the same time… happy? But why is she like that? Is she really jealous? Deeply, I’m happy because she’s the first one who wanted to reconcile with me.

 

I replied to her text message.

 

To: Bestie

From: Taeminnie Best (?)

 

Let’s talk tomorrow. I’ll go to your house. Take a rest now. And stop pouting. You’re cuter when you pout. Kekeke~ Good night.

 

Then I pressed send.

 

I slept peacefully tonight.