I Have A New Crush Now Oppa, and He's Really Cute!!

You and I: Things That Never Change

Saturday finally arrived, and it’s the International Dance Competition day. Today’s the TII- day. Or This Is It day for everyone. I brought mom, dad, Soojung and Jongin with me to support Melanie’s group, and of course to support our own Korean group. Our representative is the group NU’EST, consist of five cute guys with a really good dancing and singing skills. I know three of their members, JayR, their leader, Aron the hyung among them, and Baekho, my student. I’ve found out that the other two members were Ren and Minhyun. They are I guess the visual and the maknae of the group. They also had their 6 back- up dancers. Two girls, Minli and Sora, together with the four boys, Eun Chong, Sung Gi, Tae Joon, and Kyung Joon. All those backup dancers came from our school. It means, they’re not just group of dancers, but also part of the elite society.

 

            After 30 minutes, the competition finally started. There were 16 groups before NU’EST come up the stage to perform. They performed three songs. The first one is Hello which they danced fluidly and gracefully. The second song is Face. The song has a lot of angst and action, but has a very good step and concept. And lastly, Action, their final song which gather a lot of applause from the audience. Then after them, it’s Melanie’s group’s time to perform. They wear a really cute outfit but on the other hand have the iness and sultriness attached in it. They also performed three songs, the first song is Syndrome, which is full of cuteness and electronic steps, the second is I Like It which has a lot of popping steps, and last but I guess the best is their Black Tinkerbell which is consisted of high notes, and y dance and when they ended the song it’s really graceful. Melanie’s high- pitched voice covered the whole stage, which gave me goose bumps all over. They’re really powerful, and at the same time very hot. They are just high schoolers but you’ll see the maturity and professionalism on the stage. That’s their group, the Chocolat. When they ended the song, everyone gave them a standing ovation from the audience and from the judges. Even Soojung and Jongin was star- strucked by their power. After they bowed down, they all looked at our direction and waved. Melanie even gave a flying kiss to me and my parents. But when she saw Soojung beside me, she suddenly frowned and left the stage.

            “What was that? Did she frown at me?” Soojung asked me shocked. “I think so. I don’t know.” I answered. But in my mind, I guess Melanie’s jealous of Soojung, that’s why. I excused myself to go to the backstage, since Melanie gave me an exemptional visitor’s pass. When I entered the backstage, I immediately saw Baekho and his co- members. “Taemin- hyung!” Baekho approached me with a wide smile as always, with his very gorgeous eye smile. “Hey, congratulations to your performance. It’s daebak!” I congratulated him while giving him a big hug. Baekho’s like my little brother. He’s the closest to me, among my male students. Sometimes, he calls me hyung when we’re in no professional setting, just like today. “How did you get here? I mean, are audiences allowed to go here?” Baekho asked me. “Ani, I was given a visitor’s pass by my dongsaeng from US.” I answered. “Mwo!? You have a dongsaeng in US? Is it one from the Chocolat?” Baekho asked excitedly. “Yup.” I answered. Just then, I heard Melanie’s shriek. I was shocked to her shriek. When I found her, an unexpected scene was witnessed by my eyes. Melanie’s on the verge of falling, and Ren, one of Baekho’s co- members is holding her waist by his left arm, while his other hand’s on Melanie’s head. While Melanie was holding his nape with her two hands, and her eyes locked on Ren’s eyes. They are having a stare battle, and everyone’s paused for their mini scene. Then someone coughed, it’s Aron. And then the awkward silence earlier was now filled with teases from the people around. I was really shocked to see that, but I laughed really hard on that scene. It is the first time I saw Melanie’s face turned scarlet red. Then she saw me and run to me. She hid her face in my chest to hide the humiliation she had back there with Ren. “Oppa! Not you too! Stop laughing like an insane person. It’s humiliating me more!” Melanie told me while still hiding her face to everyone. “I’m sorry Mel. It’s just that..” I can’t hold my laughter. I really burst out laughing hard until my stomach aches. “Aigoo! That was daebak! That’s more entertaining than the performance on the stage.” I still chuckled, while wiping my tears.

Melanie’s pouting to me, when someone tapped her shoulder. And it was Ren. When Melanie saw him, she turned red again, and looked down the floor and cannot even look at Ren. “Gwaenchana? You didn’t get any bruises right?” Ren asked her, his eyes were filled with concern. “A..Ani! I’m really fine. Thank you for your concern.” Melanie answered now smiling, but her cheeks still pink. “I’m glad to hear that. By the way, I’m Choi Min Ki. But you can call me Ren. I’m the maknae of NU’EST, the Korea’s representative.” Ren introduced himself while smiling sweetly. When I looked at Melanie, she was astounded by Ren’s stares. “I’m.. Melanie Lee. I am the maknae of America’s representative, Chocolat. Nice to meet you Ren. Oh, and by the way, you can call me Melanie.” She introduced, and gave her cutest smile ever. This time, it’s Ren’s turn to be astounded by her smile. After that introduction, Ren left us and go to his co- members who were waiting for him. And Melanie stayed by my side silently. I glanced at her, and saw her looking at Ren from the far corner of the room. I just shrugged and ruffled her hair softly. 

            The performance of all the groups from 30 different countries was a success. And tomorrow, the announcement of winners will be announced. Melanie and her co- members went with us to celebrate the success of their performance this day. Of course, Soojung and Jongin’s with us too. We went to the Kebab restaurant to introduce the Korean foods to the five young ladies. And they really enjoyed it a lot. But since the incident at the backstage, I’ve noticed that Melanie’s spacing out. So when I had the time, I dragged her outside and walked at the garden just behind the restaurant. We’re just walking slowly, enjoying the cool breeze of the spring weather.

            “Hey. You had a great performance earlier. Congratulations Little Lady.” I started the conversation. “Thank you oppa. Earlier, I thought that our performance will be nothing compared to the other groups. At the backstage, I noticed how prepared they get, especially with their costumes. But when it comes to us, we just had a concept, and we’re responsible to choose the costume which we think is the best.” She explained while her voice is starting to get lively. That’s the Melanie I know. “Are you kidding me? Even your attires were daebak! I’ve heard a lot of boys behind us reacting to the max about how y you five were. I’m just controlling myself not to snarl at them.” I said while feeling proud. “Oppa? Are you proud of me?” Melanie asked shyly. “Do you have to ask that? Of course, I’m very proud of you. I never thought that you’ll mature like this in such a short time. And come to think of it, it’s been six months since I left America. I also missed America.” I said while reminiscing about those happy times in US with my friends. Then Melanie hugged me not like how she used to. But more of soft and caring hug. I hugged her back and rest my cheeks on her head. “Oppa. Can I confess to you something?” Melanie suddenly broke the silence. “Hmm? Yeah, sure. What is it?” I asked. Before she answered, she first let go of me and looked at the pond below the bridge we’re walking to. “Well, I had a new crush now oppa. And he’s really cute.” She said while covering her cheeks which are turning pink. I laughed at her confession. I knew it. I knew that she’ll have a crush on Ren after that incident. “Wha..what’s wrong? Why are you laughing oppa?” Melanie asked me while stomping her feet. “Aigoo! My little baby princess is having new crush huh? To whom?” I asked, acting innocent. “To.. to.. to.. Ren.” She answered shyly. I laughed harder because of her answer. “I knew it! You’ll fall for Ren after the performance. Melanie, how about me? I thought I’m your crush?” I asked while smiling at her sweetly. “Aniyo! You’re not my crush! Remember, I will marry you someday, so just wait for me. But right now, just let me dream of Ren.” She explained then daydreamed. That’s it. She’s still a baby for me. I pinched her cheeks until it turns red. “OPPA!! That hurts a lot!!” she squealed while holding her cheeks. Then she chased after me while laughing. We’re like the old times back then. Everytime I , she’ll chase after me around the place. And that’s what we’re doing right now. Well, somehow, I missed Melanie and her bubbly character.

            After the moment we chased each other, Melanie faced me with a very serious face. What’s with the sudden change of emotion? “Oppa! Have you fell in love with that Soojung friend of yours?” she asked me seriously. “Wha.. What? Why did you ask me that suddenly?” I asked her while stuttering. “Well, it just happened that I did not enter the house that time you’re talking with that Soojung. I saw how happy you are while you two were talking. And you never talked to me like that.” She said while looking at the pond. “That’s because she’s my best friend since we’re little kids. What made you think of that thing?” I explained while blushing. “Oppa. You know that it’s alright to me if you fell in love with her. I mean, you know that I only daydream of you and me as husband and wife. I know from the very start about your first love. Because of everyday we were together in America, Soojung never skipped your words. Soojung’s one of the toughest girl I knew, Soojung’s really pretty. Soojung never cried in front of others, so on and so forth. Since then, I knew that you probably fell for this Soojung girl. And back then, how I wished I was in her position. It will be a great feeling if that happened. Me and you together. It’s a dream come true. But right now, I think that’s all. And oppa, she’s really pretty. Too bad she has boyfriend now.” She said while smiling. This is the first time I saw Melanie giving way to my feelings, and understanding me. “But I’m still more beautiful than her. It will never change.” Then she chuckled. Well, she never changed.

 

            The next day, the announcement of winners was announced at the same venue. And as I expected, Chocolat won first place, next with NU’EST. It has been a tight fight, but I guess the judges were really star- strucked on how mature and at the same time, preppy the Chocolat was. And like yesterday, I went to the backstage to personally congratulate them. Tomorrow, Melanie and her other members will go back to America, and this will be the last time I’ll spend time with them. When I went to the backstage, I saw a lot of emotions filling the room. There are groups who are consoling each other because they did not get any award. Others were quiet and some were spacing out. Others were regretful because they did not give their best. And others were really happy for the awards they got. When I faced left, I saw NU’EST and approached them first. When Baekho saw me, he ran to me and hugged me. “Hyung! We got second place! It’s really jjang! We never thought that we’ll be second best.” Baekho exclaimed excitedly. “Wae? You’re really great. You shouldn’t doubt your ability. Oh, by the way, congratulations guys!” I turned to the whole NU’EST crew. “Kamsahamnida!!!” they all exclaimed. I left them after 2 minutes, and went to Melanie and her other members. When Melanie saw me, she ran to me just like how Baekho ran earlier. But she did not hug me. IT’S A MIRACLE!! Melanie did not hug me. “OPPA!! We got first place! Can’t you believe it?” Melanie exclaimed in English. “I know. Congratulations girls!” I greeted to the Chocolat members. “Thank you oppa!!” they all shouted happily. And then, as I expected, Melanie’s new crush, Ren is approaching us with a very cute smile. When I looked at Melanie, she’s hiding her face while blushing. “Hey, Melanie congratulations to your group.” Ren greeted happily. Melanie just nods and turned around. I was shocked to what she did, so I made a move. I circled my arms around Ren and Melanie. Their shoulders were lightly touching, and I saw how Melanie and Ren stiffened from their position.

“Oppa!” Melanie scoffed silently. I just made a laugh and looked at Ren who’s also blushing. “I guess you two should need to have a heart to heart talk outside.” I whispered to them. And they both looked at me furiously. “What did you say oppa? Why do we have to talk like that?” Melanie said, cannot be able to hide her scarlet red face. And Ren just scratched the back of his head while blushing. When Ren looked at me, I signaled him to ask Melanie out, and winked at him. So Ren walked towards Melanie and talked to her. “Can we talk outside? Actually, I wanted to tell something to you since yesterday.” He asked while shyly looking at Melanie. Then as I expected, Melanie nods and went with Ren outside the backstage. Then I went to the other Chocolat members.

And that was the last time I saw Melanie that day. They did not come with us because they’ll have their group’s own celebration. But Melanie suddenly called me while we’re on the taxi, together with mom and Soojung. “Yeob..” before I continued my word, Melanie squealed in delight over the phone. My ear hurts because of that squeal. “OPPA!!! You wouldn’t believe what happened earlier!! Oh my gosh! My heart is thumping loud right now. As I am saying, Ren just confessed his feelings for me!! OH MY GOSH!! He’s really straightforward. When we went out, my heart’s palpitating like crazy! And..” and she continued talking while I just listened to her never ending giggles. I am laughing with her reactions over the phone. I can imagine her doings right now. I know that she’s holding something soft right now and smashing it like a sadist. Well, that’s Melanie after all.

 

The next day, they went back to America, bringing their trophy and a huge smile. Melanie hugged me for two minutes while I am telling her to be a good girl. Then Ren came holding a pillow. When Melanie took the pillow, it has Ren’s face and Melanie’s face attached while there was stitched word Melaren under their faces. I laughed hard because of that, while Melanie giggled like a child while blushing. Ren has an artistic side eh? Then Melanie kissed Ren’s cheek before she ran towards her other members. She waved at me and Ren and shouted, “Taemin oppa! Saranghae! Ren oppa! Take care, arasso? Call me if you want, I’ll be waiting!” she exclaimed while waving goodbye.

 

            After their plane take off, I walked out of the airport with Ren. I circled my arms around his shoulder and smiled. “So you liked Melanie from the start huh?” I asked him. “Ne, hyung. I find her really pretty and bubbly. And she’s really a smiling person. I also found out that she has an attitude, but that didn’t stop me from liking her. And hyung! She also confessed her feelings for me. I am glad when she confessed too.” Ren exclaimed happily. I laughed with him, and talked more about Melanie and other stuffs.

            I am envious with these kids. They can easily confess their feelings for each other without hesitation. Unlike me who never say a word of love for the person I love from the start.

 

 

AN: I put N'UEST members here. YEY!! hahahaha.. actually I don't know if there are any competition like what I wrote. Well, let's just imagine it that way. Kamsahamnida!!!