The Gaze

Hello Cold World II: The Colors Of Thunder

Chapter 4

The Gaze

 

 

 

While Cinderella was dancing, she was looking around and found someone who was looking her way. He was watching her every move in the arms of another and she couldn't stop looking at him; his intense gaze not only scared her but also hypnotized her. She wasn't paying attention to what she was doing anymore and her partner noticed as he turned his head to the same direction. He watched his brother looking at the princess and his grip around the young woman tightens a little bit as he glared at the other man. He seemed to have got the message since he left the room with the flirtatious lady he was with earlier.

 

Cinderella felt him stiff and looked up at her partner, who was still looking the other way.

 

"Is everything okay?" She asked in a worried tone, feeling that something might be wrong, judging from his hardened look.

 

"Yes, my lady." He looks back at her and shows her his smile, reassuring her that she didn't need to worry about anything

 

As weird as it may sound, she felt kind of safe in his embrace. Yes, she was in a stranger's arms, but it didn't matter at that moment since she was new and afraid and he was making her feel at ease, just what she needed.

 

At that moment, the music changes meaning that they had to stop dancing. Before leaving the dance floor, he excused himself and left the room saying that he had to take care of some business. She watched him leave and when she turned around, another young prince was in front of her. This one looked a little bit familiar. He had a big smile on his face and sported the same suit as the previous one. He had reddish dark hair and was as tall as the previous one. He leaned closer to the lady as he stretched his arm out asking her for her hand.

 

"May you do me the honor of having this dance with me, princess?"

"Of course"

 

They started to dance, like many others enjoying the lively atmosphere the music was helping to provide. He looks at her completely breath taken by how beautiful she looked, he felt his heart skipped a beat as her eyes landed on him, making him lose control as he spills out his deepes thought. "You are beautiful, my lady, a true princess" His grin makes her smile and blush at his words, enjoying the way he was complimenting her.

 

"Th-thank you. You are handsome as well"

 

In the middle of their dance, someone made his way through the crowd and patted on the young man's shoulder, whispering something in his ear. Cinderella looked up, curious to know what was going on only to find a disappointed look on her partner's face.

 

"I'm sorry princess, but I have some matters to attend to." He leans closer to her ear, whispering his last words before he had to leave. "Feel free to look around the house."

 

And at that, he left. She looked at him leaving as she suddenly knew who he was and smiles out of happiness.

 

Looks like I found what I was looking for.

 

She left the room and started wondering around the house. She was fascinated by every element that filled this beautiful mansion her eyes constantly turning left and right, examining every centimeters of the place.

 

As she was walking around, she stepped into a white room, filled with flowers and plants. She was now far away from the party and only silence filled the air. She sat down and blankly looked out the window, feeling calm and serene.

 

 

 

On the other side, the tall young man finished whatever business he had with the lady from earlier. He was now standing in front of that same room where he quietly followed Cinderella. He looks at her as he leans against the door's frame not leaving his eyes and inspects her from head to toe: from her glorious soft looking hair to the side of her face who was reflected by the moonlight outside, to her dress. A beautiful cream colored dress that reached the floor. Looking at her, his expression suddenly slightly softened, somehow. Something in his heart pushed him off the door and started walking towards her. She gets up and was about to leave the room but stops when she sees him at the entrance. She was looking at the young man, with blond golden hair and a mask from the same color filled with tiny decorations: he looked like a god, a Greek god. Without a word, he walks towards her as he strongly kept gazing at her.

 

Still no words were said.

 

She was speechless. The way he looked at her made her heartbeat increase to a faster pace, ready to pop out of her chest at any second.

 

Now that he standing in front of her; he was standing dangerously close. He looks deeply in her eyes as he lifts her chin with his finger while his other hand was in his pocket; he could see fear in her eyes, but also some kind of amazement and shock, while, on her side, she could see a glimpse of sadness in his eyes as it suddenly hit her heart.

 

Why does he look so sad?

 

He gently places his hand behind her neck and leans closer. She didn't know what was going on until she felt something on her lips. Eyes wide-open and non-moving lips, she was startled at his sudden action, but soon forgets everything as she was feeling too weak and lets go,  kissing him back. He suddenly feels a rush of emotions running through him and brings her closer placing his other hand around her waist, while her hands ended up on his chest, no more space left between the two.

 

At the door of the room, someone was watching them. His motherly expression only showing worry. 

He was hoping that she wouldn't be just another one of his games.

 

The young god parts away from the kiss and carefully looks at her blushing cheeks, sweetly caressing one of them with his thumb and smirks thinking that it might move on from there.

At that thought, his phone rings. He answers, knowing he had no choice in the matter and angrily grunts. Before he could answer, he places a last kiss on her lips, lingering a bit and leaves, still without a spoken word to her.

 

She found herself alone in the room, hugging herself to keep the warmth she felt through the kiss. Not only was she left alone, she was also left lost and confused. What the hell just happened? Her eyes were on the verge of tears as she felt a certain pain radiating through that estrange kiss, but held it in.

 

Cinderella didn't want to stay in the room any longer, so she left and found herself outside, in the patio of the mansion, to clear her thoughts. She sits at the table and watches the snowfall through the windows thinking over about whether the kiss was real or just a dream.

 

She doesn't know what time it is.

 

She doesn't know how she got here.

 

She doesn't know how to go back home.

 

But one thing she knows is that her god was definitely one of pain.

 

Feeling tired, she slowly falls asleep on the table, her arm stretched out on it and places her head on her arm, while the other arm is just resting across her lap, slowly closing her eyes and dreaming about the possibility of meeting this sad god again.

 

 

Inside the mansion, the boss just finished his meeting. He sent everybody back to the ballroom so they can enjoy the rest of their night and forget their worries until tomorrow. He needed some fresh air, so he went to the veranda of his house only to find someone sitting at the table. He got closer only to see that it was a young lady who was actually sleeping. Carefully looking at her, he noticed that she wasn't wearing a coat and didn't seem to be completely frozen despite the cold weather. He takes off his suit jacket and places it on her shoulders covering her exposed body to the weather.

 

"Cold or not, you need it more than I do"

 

He sits on a chair next to hers and watches her sleep peacefully while he contemplates on the beauty and the resemblance that reminded him of someone he cherished for a long time, and still does. He caresses her cheek, a small smile creeping up across his face as he speaks out about the sudden nostalgia that was rushing through him.

 

"You've grown up so well, Seonya. How long has it been, I wonder…"

 

As he was left in his own thoughts, one of his men came to join him outside, seeing his boss calmly relax in the cold air of winter.

 

"Ji-Hoon Hyung! What are you doing here?"

 

"Oh, G.O?" As he gets closer, he sees the young princess sleeping on the table, his curiosity getting the better of him. "What is she doing here?"

 

"She was here before I arrived." The younger one leans closer only to recognize the girl from earlier: Cinderella. A surprised expression appeared across his face to find her here, as he's been looking around for the little one.

 

"Oh! There she is! I've been looking for her"

 

"Hmm? You know her?"

 

"She's the one I told you about, the mysterious princess"

 

"Her?!"

 

"Shush! You don't want to wake her, do you? Hey, why do you sound so surprised?"

 

"Hmm, it's nothing. We should probably get her inside"

 

"Sure"

 

Ji-Hoon lifts her up bridal style and walks back inside his mansion with G.O by his side. After a few minutes, they finally reached the guest bedroom of the house. He carefully places her on the bed and covers her with a couple of blankets, keeping her warm. He looks back at G.O who has been eyeing his every move, arching his eyebrows, confused by how caring his gestures seemed to be. "Keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn’t get a cold, and try to light the fireplace please."

 

"Yes Hyung"

 

"Thanks." He gently pats him on his shoulder and was about to walk out of the room when G.O stops him, curious to know where he was going. "My office. I got some phone calls to make"

 

"Okay" He stops him once again before he was completely out of sight, as something was bothering him concerning her and whatever she meant to his boss.

 

"Hyung… Do you know her?"

 

"Maybe… Why?"

 

"Nothing… It's just strange to see you care like that for a stranger"

 

"Don't worry about it . Oh, and don't do anything stupid"

 

The boss left the room. G.O looks back at the sleeping princess, carefully looking at her features. Beautiful. He decides to take her mask off to see her face and gasps as he recognizes the girl from the park. He suddenly remembers the kiss that happened earlier and promises to keep her away from his brother's game.

 

It's not what you think, Seonyul-ah. He's just hurting. But don't worry, I won't let him hurt you

 

He lightly caresses her cheek and works on getting the room warmer, making his way towards the fire place, grabbing onto the lighter.

 

And hopefully you won't fall sick.