Existential Romance

My Best Friend's Girl

*If you feel nausiated easily... I suggest you have a barf bag while reading this chapter... >.< Enjoy!

Jjung and Ssul: Age 18

I was finally out of the hospital and back in school for my final year in high school. I had a lot of catching up to do.

AJ hyung and Luna worked things out and even convinced her parents to let her go with him as long as she wasn’t gone for more than a year. Part of the condition was that she was supposed to visit colleges in different countries and when she got back she would need to decide which college she wanted to go to. Now they were preparing to leave in a few weeks time. I was really going to miss them. Who was going to look out for Ssul and me while they were gone?

When I got back to school, I received a really big surprise. Suz actually looked me up and started talking to me again. Apparently she met someone just before the break ended and after weeks of persistently asking her out, they were now dating. He was quite a bit older than she was and his name was Kim Soo Hyun or something like that. I was surprised that she was already dating someone else. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed that she had already gotten over me but I was also very happy for her. At least I knew that I wouldn’t be rubbing salt on her wound when she found out that I was officially with Ssul.

Even though I was out of the hospital, it took a few more weeks for all my wounds to heal completely but I was finally out of the cast and it didn’t hurt anymore when I breathed. I basically recovered just in time to send hyung and Luna off. It was so difficult watching them leave but they promised to keep in contact with us. Thank god for modern technology… if it was back in the days where we only kept in touch by letter or long distance calls, I wasn’t sure if I would have been able to let them go.

I didn’t ask Ssul out on a date immediately after I got out of the hospital because one: I was still in my cast, and two: I wanted it to be perfect. She was so amazingly understanding; she never brought up the fact that I still hadn’t asked her out. So when I finally managed to set the date up, I was extremely nervous about whether or not she would like it.

“Ssul… do you remember what I promised to do when I got out of the hospital?” I asked her one day after school. We were walking home together.

She turned and looked at me as if I had said something completely unexpected. She smiled.

I slipped my hand into hers and interlaced out fingers. I had gotten really good at that.

“Ssul, will you go out on a date with me this weekend?” I asked her officially.

She pulled me in closer and rested her head on my shoulder. “I thought you’d never ask…”

I wanted the entire thing to be a surprise and a day that she would remember. I didn’t want it to be a cliché but I still wanted it to be romantic. I wanted it to be everything she deserved. All I told her was that I would pick her up on Saturday at 10. We needed an early start.


(The day of the date…)

(Ssul’s POV)

Jjung was being extremely secretive and refused to disclose where we were headed. Since he didn’t mention what I should be wearing, I didn’t want to be too dressy since it seemed like he had a whole day planned. I decided to style my hair with a side twist fishtail braid. I wore a navy satin halter top with ribbons that tied to the back of the neck, white skinny jeans and powder pink flats. I wanted to look y but not overly exposed yet cute at the same time. Was I thinking too much about it? Maybe, but I didn’t want Jjung to be disappointed.

I was so nervous that I got ready early and waited for him in the living room, so when the door bell rang, I bolted to the door and opened it in a flash.

He took one look at me and froze.

“Jjung?” I waved my hand in front of his face.

He tried to be coy about it but I saw his eyes look at me from head to toe. I felt my blood rush to my cheeks.

“Ohmigod Ssul… You look amazing!” he said as he rubbed the back of his head shyly.

If I wasn’t blushing before I was definitely blushing now.

I checked him out as well. He looked so gorgeous I felt my heart skip a beat. He was wearing a white button up shirt, jeans and a black blazer. It made him look so suave especially since I had only usually seen him in his school uniform or casual clothing. We didn’t even coordinate our outfits but it seemed like we were wearing a couple’s outfit. To top it off he had his hair pulled back loosely so his beautiful facial features were evident. Sometimes it made me a little jealous to think that he was more beautiful that I was.

“So… where are we going?” I asked enthusiastically.

He grinned. “No spoilers! I’m not telling you where we’re headed… You’ll just have to wait and see…”

He held out his hand like a proper gentleman and I took it. I yelled goodbye to my parents and headed out. As we walked I held onto his arm like a security blanket. I was so happy I could die. I had my head on his shoulders and he had his resting on mine. He must have been really happy too because he had a rare smile on his face and he was displaying signs of affection in public. He didn’t just do that all the time which made me even happier.

“So… my Dduling, is there anything you want to do today?” he asked. For a moment my mind blanked out because I couldn’t believe what he had just called me. Was that an aegyo? Ohmigod, my heart can’t take too much of this…

I turned and looked at him in disbelief. I guess he was able to read my mind because he just gave me a smirk and repeated, “So?”

I thought about it for a second. “Uhm… as long as I’m with you, I don’t really care… I just want to watch the sunset with you…” I told him.

“Arasseo.”

We got on the subway heading towards Wangsimni but I had a feeling we would get off before that and I was right. He took me to Seoul Forest. I got really excited. Seoul Forest was beautiful. It was like escaping from the city. We headed to the Eco Forest first where we could observe some natural wildlife although I got a little freaked out by the ducks and other birds but because Jjung was there I knew he would protect me.

“Ahhh… Jjungie… the birds…” I squirmed and hid behind him.

He wrapped his arms behind him, holding me close. “Don’t worry. I won’t let them near you.”

I remembered that one time when we were younger, AJ oppa chased away the birds for me but it was Jjung who made me feel safe. He carried me all the way home because I was feeling tired. I was already in love with him then even though we were only 8. That day I kissed him for the first time, the first time I kissed anyone.

After that we headed to the Nature Experience Center which had a botanical garden and flower gardens. It was so beautiful there. But it was funny how Jjung was afraid of insects. This time it was him who clung onto me although he tried his best to pretend like he wasn’t.

“Jjungie, are you alright? You want to leave?” I asked him.

He shook his head. “No, no… I’m fine,” he insisted but he was still flinching.

I just giggled.

After that we ended up in the Arts and Culture Park where we rented some bikes and cycled around. Jjung was actually really good at cycling. He could do it hands-free which, to me, was really impressive. Occasionally we would reach out our hands to each other and cycled side by side. It was so cheesy but I didn’t care. I had been waiting forever to experience a date like this and I was going to savor every moment. When we finally got tired and hungry, we headed to the café.

“Wait for me here,” he told me as we approached the entrance.

I didn’t ask him why, I just did what I was told. A few minutes later, he walked out holding a picnic basket. I was so surprised.

“Did you prepare this before hand?” I asked.

“Are you impressed?” he bragged. “Don’t you know you have the best boyfriend?”

Ohmigod! Did he just say he’s my boyfriend? Seriously… my heart is about to explode…

Then he led me to a quiet spot near the lake. He laid out some blankets where we sat and ate a simple but wonderful lunch. I was so contented I didn’t want to leave so we just sat there enjoying the wonderful view and weather. I laid my head on his lap and he played with my hair. Then we switched and he laid on my lap with his eyes closed, humming the tune of his favorite songs. No one else knew this but Jjung had the most amazing singing voice. His face was so beautiful I couldn’t resist but to trace his features with my fingers; from his temple, down his nose and then along his lips. I was so tempted to kiss him but I resisted the urge. No! I’m not going to kiss him first again… Just then he opened his eyes, giving me a fright.

“We need to go… otherwise we’ll be late…” he suddenly said.

“Late for what?”

He didn’t answer.

“I know, I know… no spoilers. Well, let’s go then…”

He dropped the picnic basket back at the café and we left the park. We got back on the subway towards Dogok where we changed lines and finally got off at Chungmuro.

“Are we going for a movie?” I asked. When we exited the station, Daehan Cinema was right in front of us. It was too obvious.

“Yes. Do you want to choose the movie?” he asked.

“No, I’ll let you choose since you’ve planned the whole day anyway,” I smiled. Like I said before I really didn’t care what we did, I could just sit by the street the whole day if it meant I was sitting next to him.

He picked a romantic dramedy, probably for my benefit. Halfway through the movie, he reached around me and put his arm around my shoulders. There was none of that pretending to yawn rubbish, he just did it confidently. My Jjung has really changed… He’s so cool…

When the movie ended we caught the elevator to leave but instead of hitting down, he pressed the up button.

“Oh, where are we going Jjungie?”

“You’ll see…”

We got off at the 8th floor, the top floor. Stepping out, the view took my breath away.

“Oh, Jjungie… it’s beautiful!” I gasped. We were at the Sky Rose Garden. I had heard of it before but I didn’t realize it was at the top of the cinema. It was just as stunning as I had heard.

“Wait here and close your eyes,” he told me.

“Another surprise?”

“Just do it…” he whined. It was so adorable, so I closed my eyes and waited.

“Okay, you can open your eyes now…”

He stood there, holding a bunch of flowers in front of me. He had chosen a bouquet of red and purple Tulips intertwined with indigo and white Forget-Me-Nots. Together the flowers mean forever, undying, true love. In a garden full of roses, those were the most beautiful flowers in that one moment. The flowers said it all; everything that he felt in his heart for me. I was moved to tears.

“Do you like it?” he asked nervously.

I leapt towards him and flung my arms around him, nearly knocking him over but he caught me. There were no words that could come close to what he had just said to me with just those flowers.

“I didn’t realize you had this in you Jjungie. You really know how to sweep a girl off her feet…” I teased.

“You bring it out of me… there’s no one else who can make me feel this way,” he whispered in my ear. It sent a jolt right to my heart. “Come on… we’re just in time.”

“In time for what?” I was so consumed in the moment that everything else became a blur.

“The one thing you requested from me… The sun is almost setting.”

I focused my eyes on the horizon and he was right, we were just in time. We sat in the garden and watched the sunset in the distance. He noticed that I was feeling a little chilly so he offered me his coat. I put it on and it felt so warm. I could smell his scent radiating from the coat. It felt as if time had stopped and we were the only two people in the world. I wanted the moment to last forever.

The night ended just as the day had started; we walked home hand in hand. His hand was cold so I took it and put it in the pocket of his blazer that I was still wearing. He gave me a smile. I love him so much… I can’t believe he’s mine… (Note: That’s right… he said the exact same thing!)

Halfway home, Jjung suddenly stopped in his tracks and turned to me. “Sulli-ah, are you tired?”

“Uhm… maybe a little…” I thought he had something else planned but honestly I was exhausted.

He stepped in front of me with his back towards me and bent down. “Get on…”

I chuckled. I guess he still remembered the night of our first kiss as well.

“I’m okay, Jjungie…”

“Just get on or would you rather I carried you in my arms?”

When did he learn to be like this? Then I thought about Suzy and I felt a little sad. Was he like this with her too?

I didn’t want him to have to carry me in his arms so I chose a piggyback instead.

“Sulli-ah, I just want you to know that this was the happiest day of my life,” he said.

He couldn’t see me but I was blushing like crazy.

“You know… all the dates I had with Suzy… they always felt just like two friends hanging out.” I was shocked. It was as if he had read my mind. “That’s why I couldn’t ever bring myself to kiss her the entire time we were together, not even on the cheek. But with you… it’s absolutely different. I don’t need anything else when I’m with you.”

I knew it was silly and petty but my heart rejoiced when I heard that.

Soon we were home. He gently put me down and handed my bouquet back to me.

“Can I keep you blazer for awhile?” I asked. I wanted to fall asleep in it.

He nodded. “Just know that even though these flowers will eventually wilt and die… My feelings for you will stay the same forever,“ he said to me.

I really didn’t know what got into him that day but he made me the happiest girl in the world.

“Sulli-ah… Don’t take this the wrong way okay… I want to kiss you really bad but I’m not going to… I don’t want today to be overshadowed by the first time I kiss you, our first real kiss. I’ll do it when the time is right but for now I want you to know that you hold my heart.”

I had to admit that I was a little disappointed. I was really longing for that kiss. But what he said was even better… I would rather have his heart than just his kiss. I smiled and nodded.

“I’m always here for you noona… now and always.” He was teasing me and being romantic at the same time. Only he could do that.

I lifted my hand for a warning smack for him to stop calling me noona but he caught it instead. Then he kissed it. He took a step closer towards me and kissed me on my forehead. And finally he kissed me on both cheeks. Be still my beating heart! I was satisfied.

He sent me on my way, bidding me a goodnight. “Sweet dreams, Dduling… I’ll see you tomorrow…”

I waved shyly and went in. I don’t need any sweet dreams Jjungie… I’ve already lived it today…