The New Guy (Part 3)

My Best Friend's Girl

Jjung, Ssul, Luna, AJ and Chanyeol: Age 16/17/18

I wonder how her date with Chanyeol went…

That was all I could think about all weekend and it couldn’t pass by soon enough. I got to school earlier than she did so I decided to wait for her at the gate. I was really anxious thinking about her and Chanyeol so I paced up and down the gate absentmindedly to clam my nerves.

*Thud* I accidentally bumped into someone.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you…” I apologized as I attempted to regain my composure. Then I looked up to find a girl in a dazed state as well.

She bent down to pick up her belongings that fell when I bumped into her. I hastily bent down and helped her with her stuff. Just like something out of the movies, our hands accidentally brushed and I retracted immediately. When she stood back up, she looked at me and our eyes met. For a second, my heart actually skipped a beat. She was really pretty and even though I bumped into her, she was smiling back at me. I quickly snapped out of it and apologized again.

“Don’t worry about it,” she bowed politely. “I’ve got to get going. Have a nice day,” she bowed again and headed into school.

I watched as she left and wondered who she was. Then I heard Ssul calling for me from behind.

“Jjung!”

I whirled around expecting to see her but it turned out she was with Chanyeol. My heart tightened.

“Oh, Ssul you’re here,” I replied awkwardly.

“Why are you here?” she asked.

“Oh I just got here and I accidentally bumped into someone and then I heard you call me…” I trailed off. “Uhm, anyway I’m going to head in. I’ll see you in class.” I nodded to Chanyeol. I didn’t want to stay and watch them display their affection to each other. I started walking away.

“Wait, Jjungie! I’m coming with you,” Ssul called out.

I stopped in my tracks.

“Oppa, I’ll see you around. Bye,” she said to Chanyeol and the walked over to me.

I was about to say something but she just yanked me by my backpack and dragged me to class.

“Weren’t you waiting for me? Why did you want to leave without me?” she interrogated.

“N-No I wasn’t,” I lied. “I just got here right before you did.”

“You’re such a bad liar,” she grinned. “Let’s go, we’re going to be late.”

And so we headed for class together. I didn’t get a chance to ask her about her date before class started. Ugh, now it’s going to be all I can think about until lunch.


When the bell rang for lunch, all I could think about was how I should ask her about her date. I had been thinking about it since first period and it was driving me nuts. Unfortunately, I had to go get something done at the teachers’ office quickly before lunch.

“Ssul, you’re going to have to meet up with hyung and noona first. I’ll meet up with you guys once I’m done,” I told her.

She nodded and headed off.

I headed in the opposite direction towards the teachers’ office. I was walking down the hallway when I spotted Chanyeol. He was facing away from me and talking to someone.

“So what do you think? Do you want to go out with me this weekend?” I heard him say.

My eyes widened in anger. Isn’t he dating Ssul? What is he trying to do?

“Uhm… s-sorry oppa… I-I’m busy t-this weekend…” the girl responded shyly. I couldn’t really see who it was because Chanyeol was in the way.

“Well, what about next week then?” he persisted.

“S-sorry oppa… I’m just…”

The nerve of this guy! What a jerk! I decided to step in.

“Hey Chanyeol hyung!” I yelled.

He turned around in shock. When he saw it was me, he relaxed.

I could finally see who the girl was. It was the girl that I bumped into earlier. What a coincidence.

“Hey can I talk to you?” I continued.

The girl decided to take the chance and excused herself. “I’m sorry oppa, I have to go now.”

“Wait…” he called to her but she already left. He sighed in frustration. “What is it Jjung?”

“I know this is not my place but should you really be doing this?” I said as calmly as I could but I was furious on the inside. How dare he do this to Ssul!

“What?”

“You shouldn’t be asking other girls out if you’re dating Ssul!” I barked.

He just stared at me with disbelief. “You’re right; it’s none of your business. This is between Ssul and me. Why do you care? Do you like her?”

“Tch! I’m her friend and as her friend I will protect her.”

He sneered. “Is that so? Well, don’t worry. This is not going to hurt her,” he said and then just walked away.

“Yah! Yah!” I shouted but he just kept walking. This is outrageous!

I completed my task as quickly as possible and ran to meet up with the other three. When I got to the cafeteria, I was completely out of breath. I sat down next to Ssul, panting.

“What’s wrong with you?” AJ hyung asked when he saw me.

I needed a second to catch my breath but I just stared at Ssul uncertain of how to tell her about what I had seen.

“Spit it out Jjung,” Luna blurted.

“Chanyeol. (breathe) Cheating. (breathe)” It was all I could get out at that moment.

“What?” they all responded at the same time.

“What are you talking about Jjung?” Ssul demanded.

I finally managed to get my breathing down. “I-I’m sorry Ssul. I don’t know how t-to tell you this b-but…” I hesitated. “B-but I saw Chanyeol hitting on another girl…”

I waited for her response, expecting something dramatic.

Luna suddenly burst into laughter.

It was totally unexpected so I was really confused. I looked at Ssul intently.

“Don’t worry Jjung… it’s not a big deal,” she finally said.

“No big deal? NO BIG DEAL? He’s two timing you!” Am I the only one who thinks this is a big deal?

“You didn’t tell him did you?” hyung said to Ssul.

“What? Tell me what?” I was completely out of the loop now.

“Jjungie, calm down.” She took hold of my hand. “There’s nothing going on between Chanyeol oppa and me. We’re just friends,” she explained.

“But… he… you… this morning…” My head was all jumbled. I couldn’t form a coherent sentence. I had assumed they were dating but it wasn’t true. I let out a huge sigh of relief and my heart lightened.

They all started laughing at me.

“Wait! Am I the only one who didn’t know this?” I was now annoyed.

“I’m sorry but they were asking me about it and you weren’t here… They just found out as well. It was unfortunate that you saw that before I could tell you,” Ssul apologized.

I thought about it and it was really my fault for jumping to conclusions.

“You know, Chanyeol oppa is not a bad guy. He still wanted to remain friends after I rejected him.” She proceeded to tell me what had happened during their date.

“I guess I’m going to have to apologize to him the next time I see him,” I sighed.

“Babo, I know how to take care of myself,” she teased.

“I just thought… with him being your first love and all…”

“It’s true that I had a crush on him when we were kids but it was just a crush. He’s NOT my first love…”

I looked into her eyes to check if she was telling me the truth.

“Definitely NOT!” she repeated.