The New Guy (Part 2)

My Best Friend's Girl

Ssul and Chanyeol: Age 16/18

(Ssul’s POV)

I still couldn’t believe that Chanyeol oppa was back. It had been so long but he still had his boyish charms except that he was now taller and got better looking. I still remembered our memories from the past. We had known each other since I could remember. Our parents were already close friends when I was born so Chanyeol oppa and I basically spent almost every waking hour together when we were kids. When I first found out he was leaving, I was about 8 and I remembered crying my eyes out because I would no longer be able to see or talk to him. For the first few weeks, I remembered asking my parents when he would return at least once a day. Eventually, my young mind became preoccupied with other things and he became a memory. I hadn’t even thought about him for years.

When he just turned up out of the blue at school, I was really lost for words. I had no warning what so ever and he just came up to me like we hadn’t lost any time between us. I felt sorry for Jjung, AJ oppa and Luna unni. In the midst of all the excitement I kind of ignored them during lunch. I hoped they weren’t too mad. I know for a fact that Luna unni was totally fine with it. Later that day she told me that she thought Chanyeol oppa was really cute. It was funny though because she kept comparing him to AJ oppa but every time she would conclude that AJ oppa was better. AJ oppa was his usual cool self; he didn’t speak much at all. And as for Jjung, well I was kind of worried about what he thought. Chanyeol oppa wouldn’t shut up about him being my first love and I had never even mentioned him to Jjung before. He left not too long after I met Jjung so there was really no reason to mention him at all. Besides we were just kids back then, it didn’t mean anything.


I was really excited to catch up with Chanyeol oppa. He had asked me to bring him around and show him my favorite hangout spots since he’d been away for so long. It had been awhile but there was a time when I thought of Chanyeol oppa really highly and he took care of me like a real oppa. Just having him back made everything just a little bit better.

“So oppa what do you feel like eating?” I asked as we were deciding on dinner after a long day of walking around town.

“I’m totally craving Korean food. Since I came back, I’ve only wanted to eat Korean food,” he responded enthusiastically.

“Hmmm… What about seolleongtang (ox bone soup)?”

“Yes! Good choice.”

We went to a little stall that was hidden in an alley, my favorite spot for the dish. The ahjumma there makes the best seolleongtang; it was very savory and hearty but with a hint of sweetness. You could tell that she put a lot of love into the dish. I had been going to that stall for a few years now so the ahjumma knew me well.

“Oh, Sulli-ah. It’s been awhile. How are you and how are your parents?” greeted the ahjumma as we entered the stall.

“Hi, ahjumma,” I bowed. “I missed your soup a lot. My parents are well.”

“Who is this? Is he your boyfriend?” she asked.

“Hi, I’m Chanyeol,” he greeted back. “I’m not her boyfriend… yet.”

I shot oppa a look for him to stop being cheeky.

The ahjumma laughed. “I see… Well Sulli-ah, he’s a handsome one. You should hold onto him. Is it just the two of you today? Where are your other friends?”

“It’s just us two today ahjumma,” I smiled.

She sat us at a table in a quiet spot.

“We’ll have seolleongtang for two with extra kkakdugi (radish kimchi) please,” I ordered.

The soup came out quickly which was a good thing since we were both starving. Chanyeol oppa seemed to have really enjoyed the soup because he was eating as if the hadn’t eaten in a few days.

As I watched him eat, I couldn’t help myself but laugh.

“What?” he wondered.

“It’s nothing. You just haven’t changed at all,” I continued laughing.

“But you’ve changed so much my Ssul. You’re a lady now,” he chuckled.

I couldn’t hide my embarrassment. My face must have been red as a tomato.

We started reminiscing about our childhood together and all the good times we had as kids.

“Anyway Ssul, I know this is really sudden since we’ve only just met again after so many years but I wanted to ask you something,” he said seriously.

His sudden change in tone came as a surprise to me so I sat upright and stared at him intensely. “Hmmm?”

“I don’t know if you knew this but even back then I kind of had a crush on you. When I was away, I thought about you once in awhile and when I saw you again at school the other day I knew for sure that I like you still. So… will you go out with me?” he confessed.

I was caught completely off guard. I started to choke on my food and coughed hard. “What? Eiii… stop joking around oppa.”

“I’m not joking here Ssul. I’m serious. I really want you to go out with me.”

I hesitated. Why is he saying all this all of a sudden? How could he have had a crush on me?

“If you need time to think about it, it’s fine. I know this is really sudden and you might be confused. But I just want to assure you that I am being serious and I know that you used to like me too,” he said confidently.

“Listen oppa, I’m flattered that you want me to go out with you. You’re such a great guy and I absolutely had a crush on you when we were younger… BUT… we haven’t seen each other in so long. You may seem the same but I’m sure you’ve changed. I’ve changed. I’m not the girl you used to know…” I reasoned.

“It’s okay, we can take the time to know each other again…”

“It’s just… I’m sorry oppa… I don’t really need to think about it. I don’t feel the same about you,” I concluded.

I could see that he was a little hurt. He gave a smile but his eyes were betraying him. “Are you dating someone else?” he asked earnestly.

“No…”

“Do you like someone else?”

“N-No…” I stuttered. Honestly, I was uncertain if I should tell him the truth. “I’m sorry oppa. I hope we can still be friends, after all, we have so much history together.”

“That’s okay. Thank you for being honest with me. I understand. I definitely want us to remain friends.”

I was lucky. Chanyeol oppa was such an understanding guy and any girl would have been lucky to have him but just not for me. I wanted someone else…

As we ended the night, Chanyeol oppa was a complete gentleman. He paid for dinner and walked me home.

“Thanks for today. It was really fun catching up. You want to do this again soon?” he asked. “Just as friends of course,” he added.

I smiled. “Sure oppa. Sounds good. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight Ssul. And if you change your mind about what I asked earlier, just let me know,” he joked.

I just sighed. Why is it that the only guy who isn’t interested in me is the one I want to ask me out the most…?!