To Mend a Broken Heart

My Best Friend's Girl

Jjung and Suzy: Age 17

I didn’t want to think about Ssul anymore. Every time I did, it would hurt more than the time before. It was impossible to avoid it though when I had to see and be so close to her every day. I didn’t ask her about her coming date with that guy and I didn’t tell anyone about my coming date with Suz. It wasn’t a secret but I just didn’t want to make a big deal of it.

That weekend, I was still feeling heartbroken but I was determined not to let it get in the way of my date with Suz. She may not be Ssul but I really liked her as a person and I cared about her. I didn’t just want this to be my way of getting over Ssul; I wanted to really give it a shot. Suz had offered to plan our date out and I had agreed to it. I felt a little embarrassed that the girl had to do the planning but I wanted to make sure she would have a good time and I was way too inexperienced. She wouldn’t tell me where we were headed but she told me to meet her at the subway station.

“So where are we going?” I asked. I really had no idea what she had planned.

“I don’t want us to feel burdened by this date. I just want us to have fun. So we’re going to a fun place!” she answered excitedly.

“Which is…?”

“You’ll know soon enough…”

We rode the subway and as we drew closer to our destination, I started to piece the puzzle together. “We’re going to the amusement park aren’t we?”

She smiled. “You got it!”

I was so nervous, my hands were sweating. It was the first time I had ever been on a real date. All the times that I “went out” with Ssul, I was already used to her dragging me around, it felt totally different. I shook my head. STOP THINKING ABOUT HER!

“Jjung, we have to go on ALL the scary rides!” Suz said as she dragged me into the park.

I had actually been to the amusement park before so I was familiar with the rides. I was sure I could handle them.

One by one, she took me on all the rides; the Viking ride, the flume ride, the loop, the motion ride… I was surprised that she was game for all the scary rides; I was very impressed. I was expecting her to keep to the mild rides and maybe one or two of the scary rides. This girl is bold! I was really starting to admire her.

“Jjung, you ready for the last ride?” she asked cheekily.

“Anytime!” I responded with confidence. I was really enjoying myself with Suz. Her plan worked. Coming to the amusement park was fun, enjoyable and not burdensome at all.

As we descended from the rollercoaster ride, she was hopping up and down, and laughing in excitement. So this is what she’s really like. She seems so different in school, probably because we only spend an hour or so a week together. I took a good, hard look at her face, her smile, the way her hair fluttered in the wind… dugeun dugeun… My heart began to flutter. Ohmigod!

“Jjung?!” she waved her hand in front of my face, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Y-Yes?”

“I said our date isn’t over yet, I have something else planned,” she grinned.

“Oh… there’s more?”

She giggled and nodded.

We started heading out. As we walked, we passed by couple upon couple holding hands, hugging and doing other typical couple stuff. I peeked at her hand secretly. I felt like holding it but I was too shy. She was walking beside me so I could actually take hold of her hand pretty easily. I flexed and contracted my fingers, wondering if I should do it. Then without even looking she put her hand into mine. Dugeun dugeun… There goes my heart again…

It turned out that she then took me to a multiroom (if you don’t know what that is google it: 멀티방). Man this girl really knows how to have fun. We played some video games, watched a movie and she even managed to get me to sing a few songs with her. She was a good singer too. By the end of the day, I was totally beat but I had thoroughly enjoyed my date with her. I felt like a different person when I was with her.

As I dropped her off at her house at the end of our date, I couldn’t help but wonder if it would have been the same if it was with Ssul. I wondered what she was doing with that guy. It made me upset again.

“Uhm… so I really had a good time today. Thanks for going out with me,” she said shyly, for the first time that entire day.

“I did too,” I replied.

“So… I guess I’ll see you in school?” she waved goodbye.

“Hey Suz,” I stopped her. “Do you want to do this again some time?”

She smiled and replied, “Anytime…”