DRAMA... Club (Part 2)

My Best Friend's Girl

*Still contains references from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Jjung, Ssul, Suzy, Luna, and AJ: Age 18/19/20

(Suzy’s POV)

I sighed in frustration. This is not the reaction I was hoping for. I thought everyone would find it interesting too. What’s the big deal anyway? Aren’t those two a couple? Even Jjung had doubts about the change. But the scene did really need something…

“Hey can I speak with you in private?” AJ oppa suddenly came up to me.

“Is it about the kiss?” I knew it would be but I just wanted to double check.

He nodded.

“Fine. Let’s go outside. Everyone take 5! Jjung, can you please go find Luna unni? We need her back. Just tell her to come back and talk to me.”

AJ oppa and I stepped outside to somewhere quiet.

“Don’t tell me you hate the idea as well? I thought you wouldn’t have a problem with it,” I said to him.

“It’s not that I hate it… It’s just that I think it’s a little unnecessary and I really don’t want there to be any conflict between any of us,” he answered truthfully.

“I see. I’m sure I can deal with Luna unni though. Just leave it to me,” I reassured him.

“To be honest, I don’t feel really comfortable doing it. The truth is, I haven’t kissed Ssul yet and I really don’t want the first to be in front of everyone. Please, try and understand that,” he confessed.

I thought about it for a second. I could understand how he felt. Jjung hasn’t kissed me yet either and I wouldn’t want it to be in a play in front of the entire school. “I understand. Why don’t we compromise? How about something like you TRY and kiss her but since she doesn’t love you back, she pushes you away at the last moment?”

He hesitated for a second. “I think that would work. It has enough suspense to make things interesting in addition to making Hermia feel the jealousy that you intended.”

I smiled. “Exactly. Good, we’re agreed. Let’s go back in and make the announcement.”

When we returned to the room, Jjung had succeeded in convincing Luna unni to return. I was about to announce the change when Jjung pulled me aside.

“Hey I don’t think we should include the kiss…” he said in a hushed tone.

I wasn’t even going to do it anymore but he seemed really concerned about the kiss so I wanted to know why.

“Why? I really think it will make the play more interesting,” I provoked.

“Uhm, well it would really upset Luna noona. It just wouldn’t be good for the group dynamic if there was a conflict amongst the cast,” he explained.

What he said made perfect sense but I knew that wasn’t the real reason why he didn’t want the kiss to happen. It was because of Ssul. In a way, I’ve known that he had feelings for Ssul for awhile now. I didn’t at first but I managed to put the pieces together. Besides, it was pretty obvious the way he looked at her. There was always a longing in his eyes. I had hoped that being with me for this long would have changed his heart. I liked him… I really liked him… no, I loved him. Even though I knew deep down in my heart, I didn’t want to let him go. I wished and hoped so hard that he would love me back one day but even until now, he hasn’t completely given me his heart and I guess he never will. Maybe it’s time for me to let go.

I looked into his eyes that were filled with desperation. He really didn’t want the kiss to happen. “I understand. Now let’s resume practice. But before that I have an announcement to make.”

I walked back to the center of the room and cleared my throat. “Listen up everyone. I’ve thought it over and after speaking with a few people, I’ve decided to revise what I said earlier about the kiss…”

“So we’re not doing the kiss?” Luna asked hopefully.

“Not exactly. This is how it’s going to go. Hermia follows Lysander who’s gone looking for Helena. When he finds Helena he tries to kiss her. However since Helena doesn’t love Lysander, she pushes him away right at the end. But from afar, Hermia thinks that they kissed and gets jealous. Is that better for everyone?” I didn’t bother waiting for an answer. It was a rhetorical question. “Good. Now let’s run through the scene once with the change.”


(Jjung’s POV)

We rehearsed for another two weeks. The play began to come alive the more we rehearsed. The tension between AJ hyung and Luna was high but it meant that the chemistry between the two of them on stage was off the charts. And then it was finally the day of the actual play. We were all really nervous especially me. It was the first time I had ever done anything like this. We were all in our costumes and make-up waiting for the audience to arrive, watching the clock count down. And then, showtime!

Mid way through the play, it seemed like everyone was enjoying it. So far we hadn’t made any mistakes and everything was going smoothly. All our hard work was paying off.

It was almost at the end of the play. Puck finally fixed the mistake he had made and Hermia was back with Lysander and Demetrius was with Helena. At the end the guys were supposed to give the girls a kiss on the cheek. Or at least that was what we had rehearsed for. But when it came time to do it, AJ hyung kissed Luna ON THE LIPS! Everyone was shocked but the audience really enjoyed it.

During the curtain call, we all received a standing ovation. The crowd really loved the play. As we bowed, I tried checking for Ssul’s expression but she was all smiles and waving to the crowd. When the curtain closed, Luna immediately ran off the stage.

I pulled hyung off to the side.

“What the hell were you doing?!” I yelled at him.

“I-I don’t know. It just happened…” he tried to explain but he couldn’t give an explanation.

“Didn’t I tell you about not hurting Ssul? I said as I grabbed his collar.

Just then, a hand reached out and grabbed mine.

“Don’t Jjung!” barked Ssul.

“But Ssul… he…”

“It’s okay... I’ll take care of it myself,” she said and dragged AJ hyung out the door.