A boy on the train on the first day of summer

M.B.B.

 

DARA

 

 

Flashback

 

 

Being petite has its disadvantages especially when you’re on a commuter train during rush hour. I was pushed to the far side of the train, my back against the glass. I was hugging the shopping bags in front of me to prevent myself from getting crushed by the incoming passengers.

 

I was busy observing the other passengers as the train filled up. Watching couples whisper to each other, holding hands, having their sweet moments. I often wonder whether I’ll become one of them, a PDA couple. But being an ice princess and having no sweet bone in my body, it was probably a not ever thing.

 

On the next stop, a wave of passengers entered and I was suddenly aware that a boy about my age was pushed to stand in front of me. He was wearing a hood over his black tousled hair and had earphones on. I noticed that he was wearing a silver stud earring on his right ear. He looked a little scruffy. I never really noticed guys before, not even the cute ones in our class, but his presence seemed to beckon my attention.

 

He must have felt me staring and looked up at me. The instant he looked up, I felt my breath catch. He had thin lips which curved into a half-grin and he had the darkest eyes I’ve ever seen and I felt those eyes on me. I don’t know how long we held each other’s stare but suddenly another wave of passengers entered and pushed him towards me.