A boy and a girl on the train on the first day of summer

M.B.B.

 

DARA

 

 

 

Flashback

 

Summer starts again.

 

It was rush hour as I boarded the train going home. The train keeps filling up with passengers and it was starting to get crowded. I was feeling nostalgic, recalling a similar train ride 2 years ago.

 

On the next stop, I got pushed into someone, my face slamming into his chest. I composed myself and was going to look up and apologize when I heard him speak up.

 

“Do you kiss all guys on the first meeting, vanilla?” he asked.

 

I looked up and was greeted by the darkest eyes I’ve ever seen, matching his dark tousled hair and wearing a half-grin.

 

I felt my breath catch as my heart thumped faster.

 

 

 

I was suddenly amused by our situation. Could life be any less obvious? Was this life’s way of payback, suddenly turning the balance into my favour?

 

Or maybe it’s true what they say, sometimes you just have to let love go before it could be yours.

 

We were back where we started.

 

“No, just one guy. But I heard that if you kiss someone again they would be yours.” I said, smiling back.

 

 

 

 

I don’t know how long we held each other’s stare but at the next stop a wave of passengers got in pushing me towards him.

 

I smiled just before I pressed my body close to his…PDA be damned.

 

 

 

I was savoring the feeling of being young and in love. The ice princess has finally found her prince…

 

 

The boy with dark hair that matches his eyes

 

The boy I had met on a train on the first day of summer

 

My bestfriend’s boyfriend…

 

 

…and sealed his lips with a kiss.

 

 

No words were needed.

 

 

 

Kwon Jiyong is mine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

This fic was based on the book Sharing Sam by Katherine Applegate. I read it when my friend lent it to me when I was in 1st year highschool and have loved it ever since. Unfortunately I don’t own a copy so when I wrote this story I loosely based the plot on what I remembered and used my own style of writing.

 

I remember thinking back then that the book was unlike any other teen stories I have read. It was way deeper, heartbreaking and thought-provoking. A book is only as good as the message it sends the readers.  When it leaves you thinking, that is the best gift a book could give.

                                                     

To me, it exemplified friendship and love at its highest level. Sacrificing what you are most scared of to lose for friendship. Dara gave up Ji, the love of her life, for Bom knowing that there was a risk of her losing him, in order to make Bom happy.

 

That to me speaks of unwaivering friendship. It got me thinking myself whether I could do the same. And I thought it would be good to share it with you guys, to stir your thoughts and feelings.  

 

Love and life are my two favourite topics to write about and my ideas about them abound.

 

In this story Dara is an ice princess, afraid to fall in love, afraid of the curse but in the end she does fall hard for Ji, only she refuses to admit her love not until she was to lose Ji. In the end, love finds it way back, no matter the trial; it would always be Daragon. 

 

And my view about life being about balance was fuelled by one discussion I had with a friend. And I do believe it’s true, for life to be fair to someone, it has to be unfair to another. It’s like the wheel of fate, there’s an up and a down. For every tear, someone else is smiling; for every heartache, someone falls in love; for every death; a new life is born.

 

I'm wrapping up another apple couple fic in the hope I have touched you readers with this story. It is sad that this will end but then again Daragon love will always continue.