Starting the schoolyear with me holding my breath

M.B.B.

 

 

DARA

 

 

Summer’s over.

 

It was the start of senior year. I was excited to see Bom again. We were not able to see each other yesterday, after just coming back, but she called me to say we’d meet at the school and tell me everything. I also said I have some news for her. She sounded tired so I agreed, so she could get some rest.

 

 

 

I was getting impatient waiting by the benches at the back of the school near the football field. It was still 15 minutes before the bell. I was lost into thinking what could be keeping her and anxious of what happened to their visit in Japan.

 

Then I saw her smiling as she approached me, a huge smiled plastered on her face as if corn was suddenly announced as the menu for lunch. It’s ridiculous, I know, Bom and her love of corn. Corn is about one of the few things that she likes and I don’t care much about.

 

“What’s up Bommie? You look like you have really good news. Are they serving corn for lunch?” I .

 

“Yah! Stop teasing me. But I hope they do.” She said before continuing. “Anyway, you wouldn’t believe it!”

 

“Believe what?” I asked with my eyebrow shooting up.

 

“I met a boy!” she proclaimed.

 

“Woah! That fast?” I asked. “Last night, you said you were just going to tell me what happened in Japan. Now you met a boy? Is your Mom, okay?”

 

A sudden streak of unease was etched on her face but was gone in an instant. I also noticed that she lost some weight.

 

“Yeah, Mom’s doing fine. Nothing serious and nothing to worry much about” she said, smiling a little.

 

“I’m glad to hear she’s okay. And I’m glad you don’t have to worry about her.” I said and held her hand to show my concern.

 

“So what about this boy? How did you meet him?” I asked curious who the guy could be.

 

“I think he’s new. I haven’t seen him here before. I bumped into him as I was going to my locker, and he helped me pick-up my books. He seemed surprised when he saw my surname Park and said he knows another girl named Park” she said.

 

“But you and I are the only Park girls in school?!” I was confused and curious who the boy could be.

 

“He’s dreamy. He’s got this blonde hair that falls over his eyes. And his eyes! Oh you should see them. You could get lost in those eyes of his. And his lips! The way he smiles could make your heart flutter. And he’s also going to be a senior! I hope we’ll be classmates. I think I’m already in love!” She gushed.

 

“Are you finished with your monologue?” I asked. All the talk about this guy is hyping me up. Could a guy be that irresistible, to make Bom sound lovesick?

 

“Yeah, yeah, I’m stopping now. You’d find out for yourself” she said.

 

“How?” I asked.

 

“Because I invited him to follow me here, so I could introduce him to my bestfriend.” she said.

 

“Wait, there he is. Come on, Ji!” she hollered.

 

“Ji?”

 

A golden-haired boy with messy hair, appearing stylishly unkempt, approached us. He had the dark eyes and a side-grin that could make any girl’s heart flutter.

 

“Kwon Jiyong, meet my bestfriend, Sandara, the other Park” Bom said.

 

I was holding my breath, not because I was mesmerized by him. That too, but because my bestfriend has said she loved him.