Remember

Forgotten Memories

WOOOO CHAPTER FIVE !!!

************

You heard footsteps coming towards you from outside. “Did you find her?” You hear a voice ask in worry.

“Aniyo.” You hear Jonghyun say slightly annoyed. “Why did she run away anyways? It’s not like I really DID anything!”

“You pretty much told her you didn’t want to see her.” The other voice says obviously.

Jonghyun shrugged and continued looking around for you. He didn’t say anything but he was really worried. The last time this happened you were gone for a day. ‘She has to be somewhere around here! But she probably won’t come out even if I call to her.’ He thinks sadly.

You sit there listening to the two young men having a conversation about you. You didn’t want to go out and be glared at again, you didn’t like it when he glared at you. It made you feel...small, hurt, and just plain sad. You were silent, you tried to hold your tears in, but you knew it wasn’t going to last for long.

You sniffle and then you hear a little gasp. Jonghyun walks over to the slide and examines it. ‘She can’t still fit in there..’ He thinks in confusion. He looks under the slide and finds you sitting beside your hiding place. “Found you.” He says smiling.

You stare at him in complete shock and then look away with tears going down your cheeks. You had to tell him that you didn’t remember him, you knew it was the right thing, but you didn’t know how to say it.

“I’m sorry for upsetting you. I didn’t realize I was being so mean.” He says to you trying to get you to come out. He remembered when he used to come and find you here when something bad happened. He never forgot about this place, after you stopped writing he would come here to think whenever he could.

“You look different.” You say thoughtfully. You were acting, and you knew you could until it came to a point when he started talking about what you did when you were children. At that point, there is no way you could remember anything.

“People change in four years.” He says smiling.

“Yeah, some of us change a lot. Who’s your friend?” You ask thoughtfully.

“Oh, that’s Key. From the group I’m from. SHINee, remember.” He tells you knowing while Key waves at you smiling. You wave back politely and then decide to start going back. But you soon realized, you didn’t remember the way.

Jonghyun looks at you in confusion and then starts leading the way. ‘She used to always remember how to get to my house from here...’ He thinks slightly annoyed. He shakes his head and Key notices.

‘He must be getting annoyed...’ Key thinks sighing to himself.

“Um, I’m sorry I don’t remember the way. It’s been a long time. I don’t even remember how to get to my old house from here...” You say looking down ashamed.

“_________, it’s right beside my house..” Jonghyun tells you worriedly. He knew something was wrong. If you didn’t even remember that you were neighbors, something was VERY wrong. 

Your mother never told you. You were slightly annoyed now. How could she not tell you that Jonghyun used to be your neighbor? You felt so embarrassed. Truth be told, if someone told you to go to your house right now, you wouldn’t be able to get there. Usually you can memorize roots and other things easily, but after you got this disease, EVERYTHING was starting to fall apart.

You didn’t talk the rest of the way to Jonghyun’s house. You were upset at yourself and even considered just leaving and telling your mother to take you home.

“______, where did you go?!” Your mother asks worriedly the moment you step into the door. You stare at her and then shrug.

“Just the park down the street.” Jonghyun tells her nodding.

Your mother gasps and then comes up to you. You try to motion to her to be quiet. Jonghyun noticed this movement and started to get suspicious. Something was going on here, and it was really starting to bother him. It seemed like even his mother knew and decided not to tell him.

When the two of them were in the kitchen, Jonghyun pulled his mother aside. He stares at her for a moment and decides on whether to ask her or not. In the end he decided not to, but his mother noticed the look on his face and she just HAD to tell him. He also had the right to know, you were his best friend, and it wasn’t fair to him or you.

“Jonghyun, I have to tell you something. But before I tell you, you have to promise me something.” She says to him warningly.

He nods and then waits for his mother to tell him. She sighs and then looks over into the next room where you were looking at pictures. “I promise.” He says sternly.

“Alright. Jonghyun, do you remember that disease that ________’s father had?” Mrs. Kim asks knowing.

Jonghyun nods in confusion. He remembered all of that, it was a bad time for you. It made him upset thinking about it. He decided to push it out of his mind. ‘What does this have to do with _______?’ He thinks. He looks at his mother and waits for her to continue. She looked as though she was going to cry, and he didn’t understand why.

He knew that when your father passed away it took a big toll on everyone, but he didn’t realize that it was something that his mother still got so upset about.

“__________ has the same disease. That’s why she hasn’t written to you in two years. That’s why she doesn’t remember anything! Jonghyun, she’s forgotten everything about her childhood!”

He stands there in shock. “You’re kidding, right?”

Mrs. Kim shakes her head and then notices you at the door. You had heard the whole thing. You wanted to run away again, but you knew you couldn’t. Jonghyun looks at you with sad eyes. You look at him with hopeless ones. You tried your hardest and you still couldn’t remember him at all!

You realized that there was no way to get your memory back. You wanted to accept it, but nothing in your brain or body would let you. They kept telling you to continue fighting no matter what.

You watched as he stared at you in horror. You didn’t want to see that expression on his face. Your heart started hurting the moment you saw it. You felt the tears coming to your eyes. You could tell he wanted to run away, but his legs wouldn’t let him move. “Jonghyun...” You begin but were cut off by your mother.

“_________, what’s wrong?” She asks you seeing the upset look on your face. She then looks at Jonghyun’s expression and gasps. She then understood. You wipe the tears that had fallen loose and look at the ground.

“You should have told me.” Jonghyun tells you hurt.

“How was I supposed to tell you when I didn’t even remember who you were!?” You ask trying not to cry. The pain you felt in your head was unbearable. It hurt you to even think. You didn’t know what to do or say. You were hurting all over and it made no sense. You couldn’t even remember who he was, and anything that hurt him was hurting you.

He was caught off guard by your words. You blew up in his face because you were so frustrated. His friend, Key soon walked in and looked around the room and felt awkward. Jonghyun looks at his friend and then walks out of the room with him. “Eh, where are we going?” Key asks in shock.

“We’re going back home.” Jonghyun says anger taking over him.

“I thought you WANTED to see __________!”

“That was before she didn’t remember anything about me.”

“Huh?”

“Nevermind, I’ll explain it later.”

You watch as Jonghyun and Key walk from the house. A pulse was sent through you that caused you to run after them. Once you caught up to them you called out to him. “Jonghyun, WAIT!” You yell to him knowing he could hear you. You were starting to cry, you didn’t want him to leave.

As you were running you trip and fall on a crack in the sidewalk. You felt pain shoot through your leg as you sat there for a moment in shock. You get up, ignoring the pain, knowing the only thing you had to do was stop him. You start running again, they had gotten so far ahead. The pain soon became unbearable as you collapsed to the ground.

“KIM JONGHYUN! YOU ARE THE MEANEST BEST FRIEND IN THE WORLD!” You yell at him and then cover your mouth in shock.

From hearing those words he turned around and stared at you. You sounded like a little girl, or well you sounded like you did when you were younger. He walks up to you and only stares at you. “Mianhe! I didn’t mean that, it just came out!” You tell him sorrily.

“You used to say that to me when I was being mean to you.” He tells you smirking.

You look up at him and nod. You sort of remembered a time when you yelled that. Maybe it was because this seemed like almost a rerun of that time. You look down at your ankle and try standing, but it hurt too much.

“What’s wrong?” Key asks coming up to the two of you.

“I twisted my ankle when I was running.” You say in embarrassment.

“Over that crack back there?” Jonghyun asks pointing.

You nod and then cover your face so they wouldn’t notice you turning red. ‘Why am I so embarrassed?’ You think in confusion.

Jonghyun sighs and then tells you to get on his back. You stare at him in shock. There was no way you were getting a piggy back from HIM! Sure you two used to always do them before but you haven’t done them in four years and it would be awkward. ‘Wait, how the hell do I remember that?’ You think in shock.

You thought it was just a fluke until you got on his back and had felt safe. ‘Maybe coming back to Korea was a good idea.’ You smile to yourself at the thought.

“Well it HAS been four years.” Jonghyun tells you obviously.

“Did I say that out loud!?” You ask in complete shock.

Key looks at you and nods. You stare at the ground in embarrassment. Why does this always happen to you? But then you realized, you were starting to REMEMBER him!

*************