Moving

Forgotten Memories

Two years had passed, and everything was getting worse and worse. You were starting to forget certain english words so you couldn't speak in sentences anymore and had to speak Korean instead.

It was freaking you out, you knew you were starting to forget your step-father and siblings, it wouldn't be long until you started forgetting your mother, how to talk, how to walk...how to move. You would be a vegetable, and then nothing. The thought made you cry.

You were in your room packing everything up to move back to Korea where everyone hoped you would begin remembering things. But somewhere in the back of your mind you knew it was hopeless.

The next day you were boarding the plane. They didn't ask you any questions because your mother had told them about your disease. You wouldn't really be able to answer any questions in english, soon you were going to forget the language altogether.

While you were sitting on the plane you were fiddling with your iPod trying to find a song you liked. 'Maybe I'll listen to same SNSD music that Jessica unnie sent to me.' You think to yourself while finding 'Run Devil Run'. Your mother looks over at you in worry.

"______-ah, are you alright? You seem a little pale." She tells you in worry.

"I don't remember planes all that well." You tell her looking down. "It's making me nervous."

"You'll remember soon. We're taking off now." She tells you smiling.

You nod to her and then turn and look out the window in awe. Everything was moving so quickly, you loved the feeling in your stomach. You start chuckling as you get up into the air and then you relax.

Your mother smiles at you remembering the first time you went on a plane when you were four. It went exactly as it did just now, and it made her cry. It was thirteen years ago, and you didn't even remember that. You soon begin drifting off as you realize how tired you are. You were hoping not to have the same nightmare you had been having ever since you were told about your disease. But you knew it was very unlikely.

The next thing you knew, your mother was waking you up, telling you the plane was about to land. You smile at her in thanks and then look out the window again. It was dark outside, night thank god. You were happy you'd get to go to sleep soon.

When you got of the plane and went to arrivals you saw Mr. Jung waiting for you waving. Your mother waved back as you noticed Jessica and another girl you didn't recognize. You knew it wasn't Krystal. "Jessica unnie! You're BLOND!" You say excitedly.

"Oh yes, do you like it? I had it done for a while now! Oh, this is my good friend Tiffany, she's also from SNSD." Jessica tells you smiling. She was warned about your condition and she was happy you still remembered her even with blond hair.

"Hi!" You say smiling. "I'm ______, it's nice to meet you!" 

Tiffany smiles at you sweetly and then says, "It's nice to meet you too!" You look at Mr. Jung and give him a hug. He smiles at you and then greets your mother.

"Where's Krystal?" Your mother asks in confusion.

Mr. Jung looks down and then tells us she didn't want to come. 'Oh, so she still hates me? No big deal, I hate her too!' You think shrugging it off.

"Umma, are we going now?" You ask hopefully. You were starting to get a headache from all the noise. She looks at you and then nods while grabbing her suitcase while Mr. Jung grabbed yours. "How is living in SM?" You ask Jessica smiling.

"It's nice, you get to meet a lot of new people, and there is almost always something to do. You should come visit when your packed in." She tells you excitedly.

"But I wouldn't want to impose." You tell her knowing.

She shakes her head at you and tells you that everything would be alright. You wanted to believe her, but something told you that something bad was going to happen. But you didn't know why you had that feeling. You decided that it would be good if you stayed with her for a bit and agreed.

Jessica gives you a hug before parting and Tiffany smiles and waves. As they leave you turn to your mother sadly. "What do I do if I meet someone who knows me, but I don't remember them?" You ask quietly.

"Just tell them you don't remember them." Mr. Jung tells you smiling. "Because that is the truth."

You look down and nod. As you walk out of the airport you notice a huge commotion over on the other side of the parking lot. Girls were going insane because they say SHINee walking down the street. You look at the girls in confusion and then get into the car waiting for you.

You saw a young man with blond bangs look over at you in surprise. You look back at him in confusion and then just smile.

"Sweetie, what are you smiling at?" Your mother asks you in confusion. You point out the window to the young man and your mother gasps.

"What is it?" You ask in confusion. You didn't know him, but did your mother? She looks at you and then shakes her head and smiles. Your mother got out her cell phone and began calling someone.

"I just saw your son." Your mother says to Mrs. Kim, Jonghyun's mother.

"Did you? That's right you're back in Korea! You should come visit us, I believe Jonghyun is coming back for the weekend, him and _______-ah can catch up! I'm sure it will be fun. We haven't seen you two in four years!" Mrs. Kim tells your mother excitedly.

Your mother looks over at you and sees that you aren't paying attention and then continues on in a low voice. "________'s sick." She says quietly.

"She's WHAT?"

"Remember the disease that Jay had?"

"Yes..."

"_______ has the same disease."

"Is that why she hasn't written to Jonghyun in two years?"

"Yes, it seems like she's forgotten all about him!"

You look over at your mother in shock as you see her crying while talking on the phone. You weren't paying attention because you were listening to your iPod and couldn't hear a thing she was saying.

"Umma, is something wrong?" You ask in confusion.

She shakes her head and smiles at you. You believed her, you couldn't think of anything that would upset her at the moment. Maybe she was crying from happiness. You went back to your music and zone everything out again.

Once your mother knew you weren't listening she continued her conversation. "She doesn't remember anything from when we lived in Korea. She only remembers that we did. She doesn't even think we lived in a house here!"

"Cho, what do you mean? I thought Jay's started progressing that bad over ten years! How long has ________ had it?"

"Two years."

"Omo..."

"Two years ago they told us that she would only have five years to live after her seventeenth birthday."

"Wasn't that just recently?" 

"Yes, in July."

"Cho, why didn't you tell me about this before?"

"I couldn't bare to tell anyone. You don't understand, soon she isn't even going to remember who I am. They said by the time she was nineteen we'd be lucky if she could even SPEAK anymore!"

"This is horrible!"

Your mother wipes away her tears while looking at you. She was so proud of you. You always tried your hardest at everything you did. And now everything you learned, you were forgetting. It made her so sad, she didn't understand why it had to be you and not herself. Why did it have to take effect so quickly? It wasn't fair.

"Neh. But I think if her and I came...maybe she'd remember something. When she was younger she was always at your house with Jonghyun."

"Well we'd love to see you two again."

"Thank you, I'll call you again to arrange a date."

"Oh, just come tomorrow."

"Alright! Good-bye."

You look over at your mother waiting for her to tell you something. You sit there for a moment in confusion as she doesn't say anything.

"Umma?" You say smiling.

She looks over at you in surprise and then smiles back. "______-ah, guess what we're doing tomorrow!" She says to you excitedly.

"What?"

"We're going to the Kim's!"

"....?"

"Remember Jonghyun?"

"Aniyo."

"He was a good friend of yours when we lived here. And we're going to have dinner with their family tomorrow."

"Aniyo."

"WAE?!" Your mother gave you the puppy dog eyes. "PLEASE!"

"Fine." You say giving into your mother's look. In those cases you felt like the parent, and that look was just one you couldn't say no to. 'This is going to go...really bad.' You think to yourself sadly.

 
************