16

Black Pearl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun was strangely thoroughly with tidying up his own mess and he put everything back where it belonged. Of course he didn't clean up like Jisu would but he did what he had to do and that was proper work. His face looked serious in the dim light but his eyes were completely empty but it was a different kind of empty from before. This kind of emptiness was not threatening, it was simple emptiness without any meaning.
“Didn't I say that you should lay down on the bed? Why are you still standing?”

His snap startled her and Jisu sat down immediately. Her gaze wandered towards the pillow, where she could see the handle under it. The cold and sharp feeling still lingered on her skin and she didn't dare take a deep breath. “I'm sorry, sir” she muttered silently, which only earned her a darting gaze from Baekhyun. “How many times have I told you not to call me 'sir' in private?”

With a rather angry sigh, he carelessly threw the rag away, before he took off his shirt and put it away as well. The scar looked scary in the dim light, and Jisu tried everything to not stare at it.
“It's ugly, isn't it?” Baekhyun suddenly asked and turned towards her. Rather carefully he placed his hand on his chest. “My bones were completely crushed and I was on the verge of death. Call it luck or not, I survived.”
Jisu didn't know if he was sad or angry. There was not even a ray of emotions in his voice.

“Some people like scars,” she answered, avoiding a personal answer. “Hah, they sure do, some of them,” muttered Baekhyun. He disappeared behind some statues and thick foliage and seconds late Jisu could hear water running.

“Can I ask you where did you get that?” Jisu eventually dared to ask. “None of your business,” was the cold and unemotional answer. Silently sighing, Jisu eventually laid down on the bed and closed her eyes for a moment. Of course he would answer like that. He was right. It was none of her business.
Still, that wound wasn't a wound someone would get from just being at a closed up place like the Artisserie.
No, that wound looked like he got stabbed by someone with something relatively large, and the fact that his bones had been shattered and broken let Jisu think that it maybe even could have been a dragon.

“That's way too farfetched,” she muttered to herself. “What is way too farfetched?”

Water drops fell on her skin, cold but refreshing. Rough fingers traced over the place of her neck where the knife had been a few minutes ago. Startled, Jisu opened her eyes and wanted to sit up but she couldn't. Baekhyun sat down on her legs immediately, pressing her down with his weight.
“Just lay down. So, did I scare you?”

A bitter laugh nearly came over Jisu's lips but she held it in. “Is that a serious question?”

Baekhyun cocked his brow and put his hand back to his side. “Why do you have a knife under your pillow?”
In Jisu's ears her voice sounded strangely out of breath, partly because of the incident from before and partly because of other things.
He was handsome, really handsome but he definitely had a screw loose. “I am the king's prodigy. Do you think my life is peaceful?”

Since Baekhyun spend a lot of time with Jongin, he surely also knew things – secret things – others didn't know and those were secrets many people probably would like to know.
The king's enemies were also his enemies. “No. It's only reasonable that you have something to guard and defend yourself. But... there are enough guards here.”
From one moment to the other Baekhyun got down from her and sat down next to her. “You are too naïve. Assassins can get past the guards easily. Don't tell me you haven't noticed the other scars

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter