1

Black Pearl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Midnight - That was the title of the new painting the king's artist prodigy had been painting for the past three months, and the people waited for it with great anticipation. There was something very magical about his paintings - each and every one of them had their very own charm. Midnight showed Vandigo at night with its bright illuminated streets and water-canals, on which gondolas floated gracefully.

The midnight sky was covered with small sprinkles of stars, but they weren't the main focus of the painting. Two dragons - both painted in the color of liquid gold, dancing over the the arched rooftops of the old, Mediterranean houses, both of them immersed in their dance - were the main-focus. 

Everyone who saw the painting was awestruck. It seemed to be so alive, the dragons would breath and move; the whole painting gave back the night scenery of Vandigo perfectly. 

"If we were to steal this painting, how much do you think we would get?" Among the people who stood infront of the paint - which was surrounded by glass - a tall boy with the black, messy hair and dirty looking clothes stood out. His clothes weren't made out of expensive textiles and weren't ornamented with golden patterns or pearls; his clothes were plain and old. "Not much. They would catch us and then they would hang us."

The girl next to him let out a long sigh and shook her head. Her medium long hair swayed from one side to the other, following the movement of her head. "It was only a joke, Jisu. As if I ever would be able to steal it."

The guy patted Jisu's head while he kept staring at the painting. "If I would have as much money as that guy, you and I never had to starve again," he said absentminded. Jisu sighed again; they talked about this issue dozens of times already but it was something Jongsuk could never let go of. "I know,but at the moment we should worry about something else." Jisu had noticed the glances of the guards towards them and she slowly shoved Jongsuk towards the exit. Compared to him she looked ridiculously short and thin, but she managed to push him without using too much strength.

"Should we make a run for it?"Jongsuk whispered but Jisu shook her head. "Better not. As long as we keep low, those guards shouldn't be a problem." Continuing to push Jongsuk, Jisu also tried to avoid the people who had gathered in the great hall.

More and more people came and made it difficult to walk. They came for the artist, who would introduce his newest artwork. It was a rare occasion to meet the prodigy artist,who was barely seen in public. Some came for the painting, but most came for him and not for his art. What a pity, Jisu thought as she looked back quickly. It was a beautiful painting, as a matter of fact, but unlike many others Jisuk's attention had not been on the dragons.

Her focus had been on the small, nearly invisible details; the dark figures of the people lurking in the shadows, the small leaves on the surface of the water, the hinting shapes of the people behind the murky windows and so much more, so as if the artist had actually been there. "," Jongsuk muttered and Jisu immediately tore her attention away from the painting. Her face darkened and she slowed down her steps.

The guards had crossed their spears in front of the door so it was impossible for anyone to come in... or get out. "What do we do now?" Jisu whispered but Jongsuk only shrugged his shoulders. "I think we have to go through now. They wouldn't let us out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter