Contradictory

The Safe House

Jaeyeon pressed the bell on the front door. She almost jolted when Junsu appeared opening the door for her.

“Good evening, Junsu-ssi. We’re… going to have dinner, would you and the guys join us?” she stammered. She couldn’t even bring her eyes to look at him.

“Of course! Come in, I’ll call the other two,” Junsu swung the door wider, letting her in.

“No, I’ll just wait outs—,” she didn’t get to finish her line as Junsu already took her wrist and pulled her in. “Wait here,” he said after she sat on the sofa. He gently squeezed her hand before leaving upstairs to get his hyungs.

Jaeyeon let out a long exhale as Junsu disappeared. She patted her chest, trying both to calm her frenzy heartbeat and catch her breath. The hand where Junsu left his touch felt numb, while her face felt like burning.

She really jolted this time when he heard their voice going down the stairs. She immediately straightened her back and tried to act as natural as possible. Standing up, she forced a smile when the guests showed up in front of her. The gentlemen then let her walk out first, and so she did.

She was about to feel relieved as she thought they didn’t notice anything, but her stomach suddenly fell as soon as Junsu spoke, “You look cute when you’re blushing, Jaeyeon-ssi.”

Jaeyeon only hoped to stuff herself into a hole until they left The Safe House next month. She quickly covered her face with both of her hands as she felt too embarrassed that her face would look like a boiled lobster. Seeing her unintentionally cute reaction, Junsu suddenly felt a rush in him, giving the courage to pull her hands. His action made Yoochun and Jaejoong had to hold back their laughters while nudging each other, as they didn’t get to see the duckbutt Junsu do that every day.

Junsu chuckled when he saw Jaeyeon didn’t dare to open her eyes. He then lightly lifted her chin, making her hesitantly opened her eyes. “I told you, it’s cute. Now let’s go,” he said.

The four of them headed to the main house, and Jaeyeon could only look at the walking path along the way.

♦♦♦

“Ah, Jaejoong, Yoochun, Junsu, you’re here. Come, come, have a seat,” Chief welcomed them as they showed up in the dining room.

“Thank you for accepting our request, Chief,” Yoochun bowed sincerely, as he didn’t think that the Chief and the girls would really let them joining in every meal, every day. Chief embraced his shoulder as if telling him not to worry about anything.

Jaejoong who was already walking to the table looked around the room, searching for something. No, searching for someone, actually. Okay, searching for Haejin, to be exact. He was about to ask Jaeyeon when he heard a voice from coming from the kitchen.

“Oh, everybody’s here. Good evening,” the girl he awaited for greeted everyone. She moved towards her usual seat, followed by Jaejoong sitting next to her. She smiled to him, and he didn’t understand why it felt overly pleasing to get a smile from her.

The housemaids came in with the dishes on their hands. The chef was the last on the line, because he would need to shortly explain the menu. A set of grilled beef, sautéed veggies, and mushroom sauce were placed in front of each one of them.

“Today’s dishes are grilled beef with mushroom sauce and sautéed vegetables. The dessert will be lime sorbet, and the beverages are according to your orders,” the chef finished the routine before excusing himself back to the kitchen.

Always a fan of spicy foods, Jaejoong couldn’t help but to feel a bit disappointed to find nothing spicy in the dishes. But he shrugged it off, since it wasn’t anything significant.

“Excuse me, Sir,” a housemaid interrupted him. “As for you, we serve black pepper sauce to add spicy taste,” she pointed his sauce.

His eyes widened. “How can you…” he sputtered.

“Miss Haejin ordered this specifically for you, Sir,” the housemaid innocently replied, which made Haejin stopped chewing. She mentally palmed her face and immediately put that housemaid on her first agenda tomorrow morning.

Jaejoong was stunned. He turned his head to the girl beside him, who already managed to keep eating in silent. He searched for her eyes, but she never turned to him. With a smile across his perfect face, he called, “Haejin-ssi.”

It earned him her attention, which was what he wanted. He immediately caught her eyes as soon as she turned her head to him. “How did you know?” he asked.

“It’s all over in the internet. It wasn’t that hard,” she replied casually while putting a slice of beef into .

He was about to ask another question but she cut him off first as if already knowing what was in his head, “It’s our job to make everything suit to your liking. And since you never request for anything specific, I have no other options but to find it out myself, right?”

She made one convincing smile, but he wasn’t convinced at all. He could sense there was more to it than what she said. After taking a quick glance over the table and assured the others weren’t paying attention, he swiftly moved closer and whispered right on her ear.

“If you say so, then I’ll believe it,” he breathed, sending shiver down her spine.

…Or so he thought. Haejin lightly chuckled and nodded, while whispering ‘okay’ to him as if they were just talking casually. Jaejoong was dumbfounded. He—yes, he, Kim Jaejoong, the man with flawless charm and intoxicating voice—just breathed on her ear, which meant they were close enough that he could smell her tender scent. He even could feel her little strands over his nose! They were that close, shouldn’t it at least make her tremble??

Until he finished the dinner, and for the rest of the night, she was the only one occupying his mind.

 


 

Thank you for reading :) Do share your thoughts lovely readers :D