Whisper

The Safe House

The dim lit room slowly brightened by the sun peeking through curtains. The temperature was always set unusually low, since the owner preferred it that way. This time it felt different, it felt warm. Haejin stirred slowly, enjoying the unfamiliar comfort enfolding her. As she turned around, her body found the heat source. She snuggled closer against the steady figure. Fitting her face on the crook of a neck, she breathed in the mild musk.

 

…wait. Mild scent? Neck?

She forced her eyelid to open though the idea of going back to slumber seemed much more appealing. The blurry vision slowly became clearer, until a form of a neck and a jawline were unmistakable. A gasp escaped her lips as she instinctively jerked back in shock, but couldn’t move an inch away for an arm was firmly locking her back. She lifted her face and met a sleepy smile there.

“Good morning,” that husky voice flowed through her ears, confirming that it wasn’t a dream. She flinched back abruptly, and the alcohol took its toll on her head.

“W-what… How… Why…” she stuttered as thoughts jumbled in her pounding head. Jaejoong chuckled, his hand moved to her temple and gently massaged it.

“I should’ve caught you drunk sooner, you know,” he said. Frowning, she recollected the memories from last night. Meanwhile, Jaejoong kept massaging her temple as he patiently waited.

All of a sudden, Haejin covered her face with her hands. Knowing she must have remembered everything, he laughed heartily seeing her embarrassed. He pulled her closer and stifled his guffaws on the tip of her head.

“What did you want to say?” her voice was muffled. Jaejoong pulled away, giving enough space between them. She still refused to lower her hands and peeked through them instead.

“This won’t do,” he said. He got up without releasing his grip, naturally bringing her to get up along with him. After a sigh, she eventually put down her hands.

He fixed his eyes on hers, letting the tensed silence filled in for a moment. Then, he took in one long, full breath as he mentally braced himself.

“I am not letting you go. I want us,” he said. Certain and steady, without even the slightest hint of hesitation.

Haejin was motionless, her mind went blank. All sound but his breathing felt distant. She could hardly feel the solid base she sat on—she could hardly feel anything at that moment. Even her pounding head was ignorable. It wasn’t a request, because he didn’t ask—he stated. And Haejin was aware of that, though words still failed her.

“So you’re going to see my face pretty often now, Park Haejin. You better get used to it, because I have no plans on leaving you in the next decade,” he smirked.

Haejin blinked—finally responding. Her brows slightly creased, either from confusion or doubt, she herself didn’t know better. She searched for lies but the look in his eyes only emphasized his words. Seeing her tentative daze, Jaejoong grew impatient. He abruptly bent forward and pecked her parted lips. That worked, at least, since she gasped while her body stiffening.

“You can at least say something,” he faked a pout.

This time she chuckled—the most expressive, heartfelt chuckle of hers that he’d ever seen. Even more to his amazement, her eyes sparkled and pinkish shade tinted her cheeks. But he didn’t get to enjoy that rare view, for she suddenly was reminded of something.

“I saw you in my dream the night before,” she said, slightly embarrassed for admitting it.

A smug grin was drawn on his face as he raised his eyebrows. “You dreamt of me?”

“Oh, quit that face,” she groaned. “I didn’t dream of you, I only saw you there.”

“What’s the difference?” he teased.

“Well, technically, dreaming of something means the whole dream is about it. You only appeared briefly, so I wasn’t dreaming about you. I only saw you,” she insisted, which made him cracked a big laugh.

“Okay, okay, you only saw me. What was I doing there?” he asked while not trying too hard to hide his grin.

“You whispered something to me, but I didn’t know what it was. I couldn’t remember,” she looked slightly upset.

Jaejoong suddenly realized something. The laughter disappeared, but soon replaced by a knowing smile. “It wasn’t a dream. I really did whisper something in your sleep,” he confessed.

Haejin was stunned. “Really?” her voice raised in surprise. The smile on his face was an enough confirmation.

“What did you say then?” she asked, though sounded rather demanding. She had been wondering about it to the point where it became a bother.

He scooted closer and bent a little. Then just like that night, he whispered, “I love you.”

She turned her head and met his gaze—it reflected what he just said. A smile graced her lips and quickly grew into a grin.

He still felt her smile when he bent to give her a proper kiss, like he had always wanted.

 


 

Thank you for reading and commenting! Hi carmey89 and chaejyj, thanks for subscribing ^_^

Sorry for short chapter, but I can't help not to give both of them their own moment :p Do share your thoughts, I love you!