Mr. Bastard and His Knife

The Safe House

 

“Good afternoon, Sir,” Haejin approached, holding her composure.

The man coughed once and tilt his head, giving her a confused look. “Good afternoon.”

“Ah, I thought so. Actor Lee Dong Wook, right?”

“Wait, I know you. You’re the girlfriend of that punk! You ruined my plan!” He flipped out, his hands jerked out full force to her neck, squeezing the life out of her.

 

BAM!

Right, that is not an option. Haejin shuddered at the mental projection of how things could turn out. She almost forgot that she never knew whether or not he had seen her face. Which now that she thought of it, he most likely had. He must not see me here, she decided.

With that, she swiftly went back in to the clinic, the gears in her head turning in attempt to form an urgent plan. She yanked her phone out of her pocket and called a number, praying that the person was around to answer. A song she couldn’t care to remember accompanied her until a soft voice greeted her on the other end of the line.

“Yes, Haejin-ssi. What’s up?”

Haejin released a breath she didn’t even remember holding. “Thank God. Sica-ssi, where are you?”

“Gym, working out. Why? Is everything okay?” The light voice carried genuine concerns.

“Not sure yet. You need to call the police. Lee Dong Wook’s departure is fabricated. He never left the country.”

“What?! Are you sure?”

“I’m looking at the bastard as we speak.”

She heard a sharp gasp. “Now no need to get panic, Sica-ssi. He still has no idea I’m here. Inform the police. I’ll send you the full address and direction right after this. Stay in touch, okay?”

“I got it. Be careful, Haejin-ssi.”

“Thank you,” she said before hanging up.

Just as she said, she sent the address and a direction as specific as she could. Then her fingers flew over the screen in search of Jaejoong’s number, but stopped once they’d found it. For a brief moment she contemplated, weighing the possible ends of this thing. His fondness of worrying and being protective made her come to a decision. She decidedly slipped her phone in her jeans pocket and headed out trailing the fugitive.

The walk was quite far through a few farms, some small ranches, and after a bridge over a small stream, there was a more secluded area where the houses were, she estimated, only about fifteen, tops. Haejin only got to observe as much as the size of each house’s farm and the crops planted there when Lee Dong Wook’s steps fastened.

Haejin stealthily paced up in a good distance. Lee Dong Wook made a turn, walked ahead, and another turn. And there Haejin stopped. He realized. So instead she took a few steps back soundlessly and found a hiding spot behind a wall. Both hearing and sight sharpening, she shifted by the wall and stood still at the end of it.

Vague sound of footsteps alerted her. She closed her eyes and let her ears did the projection. The soft thuds were coming closer and her eyelids flashed open as her muscles tensed. And she started to count.

Five. Four. Three. Two. One.

Her fist collided with a jaw in the exact time and angle she had predicted. The man fell face first on the ground. From the look on his face as he rolled around, he obviously did not see that coming. He rose up to his feet groaning, hands touching his face rather softly.

“Oh dear. Did I damage your million-dollar-treatment face?” Haejin sneered. He shot a glare at her which she responded with both hands up in mock surrender and an apologetic face. If one didn’t know any better, they could be passed as buddies.

Lee Dong Wook already got his cool back as he put his hands in his pocket. “You’re smart. Sica should’ve told me that.”

“I’m flattered, thanks.” She deadpanned—flat as she sounded.

“Aren’t you curious as to how I knew you were following me?”

“Not really, but you’re going to say it anyway,” said she with that I-know-your-crap-so-let’s-just-get-it-over-with look.

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes when she saw his grin. “It’s your shadow. When I caught a glimpse of a female shadow, I knew it wasn’t the locals. All women in this area are working at this hour.”

Haejin raised her eyebrows in amusement. “Who knows you have good observations. Now, why don’t we talk about more important things?”

“About what exactly?”

“About the scenario where you be a good citizen, turn yourself in, and confess all horrible things you’ve done.”

The man laughed maniacally, eyes going incredulous on Haejin. “Just why do you think I would do that?”

“Other than the fact that you should? I don’t know, maybe try to be a man for once in your wasted life?” she spat.

A low whistle was blown through his lips. “So fiery. But I have to tell you, lady…” His stare hardened, “Not a chance. I’ll disappear soon.”

“Not if the police catch you first.”

The tension in the air was screaming danger as his eyes darkened. “You think the police can get here in time? Faster than I can kill you?”

“You wouldn’t. You’re too much of a coward for that.” She had the good grace to form an empathic smile.

His patience wore out—emotions started overwhelming him as he reached for his knife and held it up at her.

Haejin didn’t flinch despite the close distance between her and the knife; instead she formed a slightly patronizing smile in her calm demeanor. “Still don’t think so. See it for yourself, buddy. Your hand’s trembling.”

“Don’t push it,” he snarled.

“Look, I’m not here to fight you. And you don’t want to kill anyone. You’ll be charged for abuse and conspiracy, yes, but not murder. That’s already a bit of relief. If you kill me now, you’ll be in jail for the rest of your life.”

There was a very brief moment of silence as her words sank in—before his clouded mind taking over again. “Like I believe you. No luck here, missy.”

Haejin sighed exasperatedly. “I’m not a damn cop, Lee Dong Wook-ssi. I’m not persuading you to cooperate with the system here, I’m merely laying the facts. This can end without anyone getting more hurt.”

“Haejin-ah!” An exclaim splitting the air shot her ears.

Jaejoong?! What the

It happened in a blink of an eye; Haejin had turned to the voice, Lee Dong Wook seized the moment to jump and lock her arm, and now she was trapped in his grip with a knife on . The next second she heard movements rustling and guns cocking.

“Nobody moves or she dies!” The actor-turned-convict yelled while distancing both himself and his hostage from the police officers that had just arrived. Haejin mentally chided herself for getting distracted.

“Drop your weapon!” An officer holding him at gunpoint shouted.

“Listen to the police, Dong Wook-ssi. It’s over. Nobody has to get hurt,” she willed him to oblige.

“Shut up!” He practically shouted right on her ear.

“Lee Dong Wook, drop the knife and put your hands where we can see them!” The police sternly ordered.

“Lee Dong Wook-ssi.” Her voice was quiet and if he was paying attention—which he most likely wasn’t—a thick warning was lying beneath her low tone.

The stubborn bastard deserved the label, though. He tightened his arm, leaving almost no room for her to breathe. She felt the cool metal of the knife made a contact with her skin.

And that was the last straw.

In a split second, she gripped his wrist and twisted in just the right angle, making him swear and drop the knife, all the while she swiftly slipped out of his grip. Almost gracefully, she swung his wrist down to the back. Before he could even register what was happening, his body somersaulted and landed mercilessly on the ground.

Mr. Bastard groaned as the pain kicked in all over his back. Haejin glared triumphantly. To say she looked like she wanted to beat him senseless was definitely understatement of the year. She took the knife on the floor that was briefly forgotten.

Jaejoong unconsciously tensed and if the collective intake of breath was anything to go by, the police officers sensed the same thing too. He never pictured Haejin as a murderous type. Even using the word and her name in a same sentence sounded incomprehensible. Yet there he was, watching Haejin—his Haejin—holding the blade and it positively had looked more lethal in her possession.

The knife was held loosely as Haejin stood straight again. She took one look at the man on the ground who was glaring at her hatefully. The next second her hand split the air and the sharp metal flew downward at full speed as he screamed.

The whole room gasped. Nobody was breathing for the following couple of seconds.

When the pain didn’t strike in after another second, Lee Dong Wook slowly opened his tightly shut eyes. Peeking as his eyelids were slowly lifted, his sight searched for the knife that he was pretty sure he heard it hit something. He pushed his eyelids further and found the damn object.

It was stuck to the ground, with the blade dangerously close to his manhood. His eyes bulged out in horror, though slightly relieved it was still half an inch shy.

A police officer rushed toward them with a handcuff or they’d have a manslaughter case on their hands. The click sound from the metal piece circling his worthless wrists could only satisfy Haejin so much. She approached him, staring down at the man that had started all this bloody chaos.

“The knock down was for framing an innocent man. And that,” she pointed the knife in between his thighs, “was for all the damage you’ve cost me.”

 The police officer and his partner forced the criminal to stand up and dragged him away. Haejin was about to close her eyes and heave in relief when she remembered Jaejoong. As if on cue, sound of footsteps was caught by her ears. She turned and saw him striding towards her; his face was far beyond worried.

“Jae, I’m sor—humph,” she was engulfed in his arms flattening her face on the chiseled chest. Her hands instinctively reached around his back and locked tightly.

He buried his face in her hair, breathing her signature floral scent. One of his hands cupped the back of her head as the other pulled her tighter. Haejin softly patted his back; a wordless comfort and reassurance that she was there, safe and sound.

After a few silent moments, he pulled away rather reluctantly. Still holding her arms, he used the time while he was recovering to look into her eyes. Only to look at her looking back at him. Haejin couldn’t hold her laugh—and it helped lightened up the mood. She tiptoed and planted a peck on his lips. He was slightly startled before chuckling. He felt better.

“Let me see your neck.” Jaejoong had reached her chin and tilted up before she could respond. His eyes examined her neck area thoroughly, directing her chin from side to side. A low grunt came from the back of his throat as he saw a pink line on the spot where that bastard put his knife on.

“I’m fine, Jae.” Haejin said softly, already knowing why he made the sound. Jaejoong cleverly ignored her and went on with his inspection. He released his chin and moved to catch her wrists. His eyes scanned both hands as well and placed them back on her sides once he was sure she was not any more scathed—but not before leaving a kiss on her pulse.

She smiled. “Told you I’m fine. How did you get here so fast?”

“The police helicopter. Why didn’t you tell me anything? You could’ve text, at least.”

“You get worried too much.”

“You never thought things like this,” he pointed at her neck then to the rest of the chaotic scene behind him, “might be exactly the reason why I do?”

Haejin sighed. “I know, I know. I’m sorry.” She was fidgeting; he could tell that what she was about to say was uncomfortable for her, meaning something related to feelings.

“It’s a new thing for me. I’ve been taking care of myself for as long as I can remember. I guess I haven’t quite grasped the idea of having someone to do that job for me.”

Jaejoong nodded as he stepped closer and kissed the top of her head. With an understanding smile, he pulled her to his side and walked them to the car. “We’ll get there, love. Now are you hungry?”

“Very. Let’s grab a lunch on our way back.” Her smile was lighter and thankful for the change of subject.

“I’m glad this is all over. I haven’t had a decent sleep recently,” he confessed. Haejin hummed her assent from his side; her mind was replaying the whole dramatic events that had happened.

“I can’t say I’m grateful that you missed, though. That son of a is sure better off without that thing,” Jaejoong said with disgust at the end.

It broke her out of her reverie as she looked at him genuinely perplexed. “Uh… I’m not following.”

“The knife,” Jaejoong pointed out matter-of-factly.

Her eyebrows were knitted together in the middle. “I didn’t miss.”

“You didn’t?”

“No. You think I’d let myself commit a crime for that bastard? Even though I most definitely would enjoy detaching ,” said she shrugging her shoulder casually. Jaejoong gawked at the woman he thought he knew well enough.

“What exactly did the chief train you girls for? Assassinating?”

She smirked. “Who says I got that from Chief’s training?”

Kim Jaejoong loved his woman, for sure. But he was also fully aware that he was just an ordinary man not better than some. He would inevitably make a mistake in the future. A man can worry when it comes to that matter.

“Haejin love. You don’t master castration, do you?"

 


 

Ugh, yes I know it's been ages. My apologies.

Thank you for everyone who is still sticking around, and for our new subscribers charlin, mellow_dy, emi_martini, and for the lovely comments, thank you very much!

I am glad you guys liked it. It means a lot :D

Hope you like this one as well. I'd love to know your thoughts!

See you next time lovely readers :*