Breathe Again

The Safe House


“Can’t sleep?”

The question and the approaching steps interrupted Yoochun who was nursing his third glass today—and it was only noon.

“Hyung,” Yoochun breathed. “Yeah, sleep doesn’t come easily these days.”

Jaejoong helped himself a cup of herb tea that Haejin left for them and took the stool next to his younger brother. The younger shot him an amusedly questioning look at his choice of drink. Jaejoong grinned sheepishly, to which Yoochun chuckled and nodded his head a few times. A comfortable silence took place as they drank slowly.

“Hyung, can I ask you something?”

Jaejoong smiled as he was expecting it. “Of course.”

“If this happened to you, what would you do?” Though that question too, was predictable, still Jaejoong had taken some time to choose his words carefully.

“If you asked me three months ago, my answer would probably be the same thing you’re doing now, to leave her. Disappear from her world forever. I would say she deserves more than a dangerous person like me,” Jaejoong said calmly, staring at his half empty teacup.

Yoochun had to double take his brother’s answer as he turned facing him. For the many years he had known Jaejoong, he understood that his eldest bandmate always held on to his beliefs, to what he thought was right for him. He stayed with his ways, no matter how everyone else saw it. To hear him changing his way of seeing things struck Yoochun. His tired eyes now lit up with curiosity, even wonder.

“But after what I’ve gone through these past months, I can’t say I’d still do the same. When I had to stay with Jessica, I got to know how it was like without her. How it felt like not being able to go to her, to hold her, while she was just a reach away from me. I couldn’t even tell her I love her,” Jaejoong smiled sadly, the hint of despair was still very present.

“And knowing how much she loved me, had been loving me, that made everything almost unbearable. I can safely say those days were one of the most painful times in my life and I do not wish to experience it ever again,” he added before gulping down the remaining tea in his cup. Yoochun followed the gesture as he took a swig of his own.

Realizing that he was sinking too deep into the subject, Jaejoong straightened up on his stool, a much happier smile tugged on his lips. “So if you ask me now, my dear dongsaeng Yoochunie,” he said sweetly intending to lighten the mood, “The answer is the exact opposite. I would not leave her side,” Jaejoong told his brother with certainty.

“But she could get hurt with you around,” Yoochun countered, back to his somber mood.

“She wouldn’t be any safer with me away.”

There Yoochun was floored. The words hit him like a damn good slap right in the face. It was only after a few heartbeats that he managed to use his voice. “Good point.”

“Of course it is,” Jaejoong raised his eyebrows proudly, making Yoochun snort. They both laughed—Yoochun laughed. Finally. It probably wasn’t so funny, but the feeling of a burden with weight of a tank being lifted from his shoulder brought out an euphoric laugh he couldn’t stop.

The eldest waited patiently for his dongsaeng to stop laughing, until the laughter started fading into chuckles, and then it was just a smile. A real one. Jaejoong had a smile on his face too, getting off his stool and gave Yoochun a hug. The younger returned it heartily, as if he needed to thank him more than just saying it. “Thank you, hyung.”

“We’re brothers. It’s what we do,” Jaejoong patted his back, giving all his support through the small gesture.

“You know what to do,” Jaejoong told him when they parted.

♦♦♦

A girl just walked out of the Meeting Room when Yoochun entered the Main House. A manager of a celebrity, granted. He knew Siyoung would be there for the whole morning handling mansion booking, courtesy to Haejin. It was the perfect time since no one else left in line, but instead of going straight to her Yoochun stayed where he stood. He took in her fatigue figure and mentally berated himself.

“You’re a lot skinnier,” was the entrance he chose.

He watched her shoulders stiffened, her hands stopped mid-air, until she turned around slowly though her shoulders were still very much tensed.  She met his eyes, oh, those eyes he missed too much for his own good. There was water glistening on them, though.

“Yeah, I think I lost some weight,” her voice was croaked.

“Too much weight. And sleep too, I can see,” he tried not to wince as he referred to the awful bag under her eyes.

 “Who do you think caused it all?” she blurted though it came out more like a squeak. Siyoung laid the issue out, cutting all kinds of preamble he might have or haven’t prepared. She found that she didn’t care. Her heart was broken, so she thought she was qualified to do at least that much.

“I’m… sorry, Siyoung-ah,” he took a couple of steps forward, “for everything.”

Siyoung had walked quickly to meet him halfway, tears had started falling. “Why did you disappear? What happened? Did I do something wrong?”

“No, not at all,” Yoochun said instantly, “Don’t ever think that.” He took her hands off his arm only to hold it in his. His hands covered almost all of her smaller ones. He brought them close to his heart, needing the strength emanating from their joined fingers.

 “I was protecting you. At least trying to. I thought it was the best thing to do.”

Siyoung sighed exasperatedly. “How on earth being on the other side of the city would do us any better than—”

“I know. It was stupid, I’m sorry. I am truly sorry, Siyoung-ah. I really thought I was protecting you, giving you the better life you deserve.”

Her eyes softened as she looked at him. “You didn’t think it would kill me faster than whatever danger you thought was approaching me.” It was a statement, not a question. Warmth had filled her eyes and a smile was there first before it went down to the corners of her lips.

“I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I will do anything to make it up to you.”

A pair of light hazel eyes shone with hope, and a trace of agony. “Anything?”

“Anything.”

“Give me a hug?” Her voice cracked.

Yoochun felt his heart broke again as he watched her smile sadly. Both of his arms found their way around her thin form and he heard her sigh, “I missed you very much.”

“That means you forgive me?” He said after a moment of silence, face buried in her hair.

“You never have to ask,” she said smiling on his shoulder. He pulled away slightly as his hands touched her face. Gently, he leaned down and let their lips touch as he whispered those three words.

♦♦♦

“About damn time!” Jaeyeon huffed with her hands thrown in the air. Nodding in agreement stood Junsu, Jaejoong, and Haejin beside her. They watched their beloved ones making up over the glass window, feeling mutual relief.

“Now now, folks… Instead of watching our friends making out senselessly, I’d rather be kissing my girl myself. We don’t have much time left,” Junsu said which he got a good slap on the arm from said girl.

Both Jaejoong and Haejin groaned. The latter whined something like ‘too much information’.

“I can’t stand your mushy mode, Junsu-ya. I have to go before my fingers wrinkle permanently. Jaeyeon-ah, see you later,” Jaejoong said and took Haejin’s hand.

Jaeyeon and Junsu watched them leave, hand in hand, laughing. Jaeyeon let out a sigh. Her man looked at her frowning, “What is it?”

She looked back and shook her head slightly. “I was just thinking about them, about us. I can’t help but worry about my sisters.”

“Why so?” Junsu asked as he pulled her to his side, started to walk away from their spot.

“Because they both loved them first, and they love them more. I don’t mean I don’t trust your bandmates though,” she replied while her hand naturally folded around his waist.

Junsu nodded, understanding where her thought came from. “I won’t say they’re flawless, but at least I'm sure that they will do their best to love your sisters. It’s been a century since the last time I see them fall this hard for someone.”

A wide smile bloomed on Jaeyeon’s face. “I hope so. I feel better now that I know it,” she uttered but then suddenly putting on a firm face, “You too, don’t you dare hurt me! I won’t let you off easily.”

The infamous eu-kyang-kyang flowed through the air making her laugh along. “Okay. Don’t go easy on me. I won’t leave until you forgive me anyway.”

He kissed the top of her head as they walked the path each other’s arms.

 



There you go, another chapter. I can't tell you how happy I am to know that you are still staying here. I'm so sorry T_T
As usual, for supergeneration09, DeeDee_24, cherryaizawa, endlessly_sweet, Jjimjnah, and khjANDkjj4eva, thank you so much for subscribing!
And for the comments, you make me even happier. Especially the amazing people who always leave their words and support every time. Thank you.
And of course, for you, who are reading this. Showering you with rainbows!
Until next time, annyeong! :)