Not Yet The Happy Ending

The Safe House

It had been weeks after the incident and things still wouldn’t quiet down. The case was all over the media, causing quite a national shock. Not to mention with Jaejoong and Jessica involved—meaning they had to admit that they were once a couple—surely it had been one of the biggest issues ever occurred in the history of Korea’s entertainment industry. The investigation process was still going on; JYJ members, Lee Dong Wook’s crew, Girls’ Generation members, to The Safe Team received their summons. As they all wanted this to finish soon, not one of them ever missed the interrogation sessions despite the tight schedules—not even JYJ who was embarking on an Asia tour.

Fortunately, the guest in The Safe House still kept on coming. The information about The Safe House team being actually involved in the case was not released to the public—only that the case happened in The Safe House. But most of the celebrities and their agencies knew the truth, and the fact that it didn’t hold them from coming was really to be thankful for.

This morning, at 06.00, Haejin was making her way to the kitchen. Yes, it was weird considering that she could barely handle 7 AM, let alone an hour before that. Her feet led her to the counter on autopilot—recently-found autopilot—and took the apron that was prepared by the housemaids.

“You’re cooking?” An unexpected voice made her jump from shock and reflexively spun around. She looked positively discombobulated when that smile she knew all too well greeted her.

“Jae! What are you doing here?” She quickly looked at her watch thinking maybe she got the time wrong. But she didn’t.

“Wow, I feel welcome,” and his famous smirk.

Haejin blinked and laughed after. “Sorry,” she chuckled as he made his way to her. She instinctively gave her cheek when he bent down and dropped a chaste kiss there.

“Seriously though, what are you doing here so early? You didn’t say anything about coming on the phone last night,” she asked while preparing some ingredients.

“I’m leaving for tour tomorrow,” he answered moving to the other side of the counter to give her more room.

“I know, you told me that. You also said you wanted to rest today.”

“That I did, but then I missed you. I wouldn’t be able to rest properly anyway, so… here I am.”

She inclined her body across the counter and he naturally bent down to meet her lips halfway.

“Ugh, we’re so cheesy,” Haejin grimaced after pulling away.

They laughed.

“How’s your lunch with Jessica yesterday? Is she alright?”

“The food was fine, but she was not. At least I made her finish her steak,” he said.

Haejin stiffened at that last information—she couldn’t help it. Come on, let’s be honest. Can you really, like really, really relax knowing that your boyfriend is the only one who can make his ex-girlfriend do something even when she doesn’t want to? The fact that Ms. Blast-from-The-Past is not so over the past is not helping either. Her concern for the lady was sincere, though. Haejin was just grateful that he was playing with some peppermint leaves and thus missing her reaction.

Haejin tried to brush off the small twinge in the left area of her chest every time he said Jessica’s name with gentleness. She believed that he loved her—really, she did—she was just still learning to accept that Jessica was a soft spot for him and would probably always be. But she never said it was going to be easy.

Damn right it was not.

“She was suspended indefinitely from both Girls’ Generation and her own solo activities. Typical SM,” he snorted. “Are you listening?”

“Yes. Go on,” she replied without looking at him. The poor chicken had turned into minced pieces that almost looked like baby food.

“Her boutique is not doing well either. Fans are still buying, even more than before, but most of major fashion lines have stopped supplying her products in their stores.”

“If it were me, I’d go all the way in this case since I'd already lost so much,” Haejin commented genuinely, aware that Jaejoong had put the herbs down and focused on her.

“She thinks that way too. What about you? You’re really not going to press any charges?” asked Jaejoong rather incredulously.

“No,” she said. “I know it sounds silly, but it’s for the sake of The Safe House. Our crew has been on those paparazzi’s most wanted people list ever since we were established. There’s no way in hell I’m going to give them that pleasure,” she explained.

The look on his face still hadn’t eased. “Besides, the prosecutor would charge him for that anyway. Abuse charge at the very least,” she offered a smile.

A courtly smile. To him. The same smile she always gave the guests or any other professional acquaintances—for courtesy.

As she was pouring the chicken broth into the saucepan, she could feel his scrutinizing stare on the back of her head. She was sure she didn’t give away anything; she was confident about her proficiency in the art of pokerface.

Jaejoong realized that some seconds had gone silent, but he didn’t do anything about it. He chose to observe the woman in front of him. The beautiful woman looking beautiful in apron, his head loudly corrected. Yes, yes. And that woman was his; heart, body, and soul. Yes, he knew that. The male factor of his head was about to jolt into life at the word body, but his common sense—teaming up with his conscience—forced that hormone-driven part of his mind to shut the hell up.

There was something different with Haejin, he sensed, but he couldn’t pinpoint it. He could only sense that something was troubling her. Something she wasn’t telling him. And it meant whatever that was, it wasn’t easy for her to handle. She does not talk about problems and feelings—that much he knew.

He walked over to her side, paused for a heartbeat, and leaned to press his lips softly on her temple. It was the only way to reach to her without talking that he knew how. Haejin closed her eyes upon the gentle touch, unconsciously holding her breath. He stilled where he was, breathing in her floral scent. His lips curved into a smile when he heard a soft exhale.

“I love you, Park Haejin,” he whispered.

Her eyelids shifted open though her body still unmoving. The words sank in, deeper than the few times they’d ever been said before. Slowly, she turned her head without pulling back, letting his lips brushed across her forehead.

After lingering for a second she pulled away only slightly. Only enough to have a clear look of his eyes. And her reaching up to his lips was her reply.

The kiss was slow, intense. Conveyed feelings that were too overwhelming to be formed in words. His one hand held her face, his thumb lightly caressing her cheek. While the other one was placed on her waist, emanating heat that reached beneath her skin and further. His tongue languidly grazed over her lips and she parted them. Warmth filled as he thoroughly explored every corner. Her fingers curled around his arm, clutching as ruthless butterflies began their assaults inside her.

Haejin was starting to feel breathless when he fought for dominance and won dexterously. She broke away in need of air, and she was sure he could use some oxygen too. Their breaths mingled together—though it sounded more like pantings.

His hand on her waist ran up her back as the other stayed on the side of her face, his fingertips ended in her brunette lock. Jaejoong breathed in the floral scent that only belonged to her. He stepped closer.

Their lips were only a breath away when they heard footsteps and distinct chatters coming from the back yard. Haejin was the first to snap up and put a distance between them.

“Oh, good morning, Haejin agasshi. Jaejoong-ssi,” greeted someone who appeared to be the head housemaid, Mrs. Nam Mi Sun.

“Good morning, ahjumma,” Haejin and Jaejoong replied almost concurrently. Haejin recovered first as her face had gone back to normal, both in color and temperature, while Jaejoong was still halfway taming his heartbeat.

“You’re very early, Jaejoong-ssi. Any special occasion?” Mrs. Nam asked. Her maternal nature carried out in her voice.

Jaejoong had always liked Nam ahjumma during their stay there. “No, ahjumma. Just want to see Haejin, tomorrow I’m going to leave for Asia tour.”

Some wrinkles appeared on her face as she formed a genuine smile. “That’s great! I take it that I should expect Junsu-ssi and Yoochun-ssi anytime today?”

“Yes. They’re probably going to be here soon though,” Jaejoong said glancing at the clock on the wall. At his side, Haejin froze for a split second—too fast for anyone to notice.

“Why, I need to tell the chef to make your breakfast! I have a special menu in mind for you boys.” Her face lit up from delight as she spoke, like a mother anticipating her sons.

Jaejoong let out a small laugh. “We missed you, ahjumma,” he said honestly but in playful manners.

“Oh I’m sure you do.” The elder woman chuckled patronizingly. “Okay, I have to go. I’ll leave you two kids then.” With that, she was gone.

They broke out laughter as soon as Mrs. Nam left the kitchen. Embarrassment was there for a little while, but it quickly dissipated as they laughed it off. Haejin was slightly blushing when she turned her attention back to the soup in front of her.

Not making any effort to stop smiling, Jaejoong too turned his attention to the soup. After a few seconds he actually registered the liquid dish.

“Is that a hangover soup?” Haejin nodded—gears in her head already turning.

“For who?”

Her answer only came after a brief, hesitant silence. “Siyoung.”

The name alone was apparently enough for Jaejoong to understand the whole thing. He looked apologetic when he asked, “How is she?”

“Coping.” Haejin was not lying—he just didn’t need the details. She bet he already had a guess anyway, judging by the frown on his face. And the sigh he just let out.

“I’m sorry. It must be hard on her. Yoochun is…” he tried to find the right word to provide clarity without bringing bad impressions upon his brother, “not very himself, lately. Your sister is not the only one miserable because of him.”

Haejin caught the meaning beneath the polite words and nodded silently. Despite the concerns for Yoochun, she reached his hand across the counter and gently pressed it meaning to comfort.

“You’re very sweet, Jae. But it’s all okay. Yoochun is, and I know Siyoung will be, eventually. We should let them figure it out.”

“How bad?” Jaejoong wasn’t letting it go.

Haejin shifted in reluctance, but his worries were so genuine that she gave in. “It’s pretty bad.”

As she had predicted, his head hung low while his fingers raked through his now blonde hair. “I should’ve at least told her not to fall for him. I saw it coming but I didn’t do anything to prevent this.”

“Jaejoong, hey.” Touching his arm she sought his eyes. “You can’t tell one to love or not to love the other. It doesn’t work that way. Well, I’ve been there, done that. Remember?”

Had he not known any better, he would’ve wondered how she could touch that subject so lightly; as though it was piece of cake for her; as though she was talking about some other person. Fortunately he did know better, and for her big, giant heart he respected her.

And got her point, too.

“Yeah, I do. I guess I’ll have to trust your judgment and do just like you said,” he smiled.

“We can watch from the sidelines if you’re worried. Now tell me about your tour,” Haejin said after giving an assuring smile.

Somewhere between him describing the stage lighting and her brewing peppermint tea, a very hangover Siyoung came in to the kitchen and got a not-so-pleasant surprise—much to her discomfort.

“Jaejoong-ah! You’re here.” The shock was unmistakable. Then the panic of course would follow.

“I am. And uh—”

“Surprise! Did you miss me?” Junsu’s high-pitch broke through the kitchen—beating Jaejoong to his point.

Colors left Siyoung’s face as her body turned rigid. Oh holy Hera, I beg for your mercy. He can’t see me in this st—

“Good morning, guys.” Yoochun’s deep voice entered the room.

 


 

Thank you so much for the love and support! They really do mean a BUNCH :)

And for cassielf20, Dina-501, and HristyS.. Big BIG hug! Thank you :*

I hope you like this one, happy reading. Have a nice day (or night), lovelies!