A Way Out

The Safe House

The dining room felt quieter than it used to be. Or quieter than she used to feel it was, perhaps. Sitting alone on her usual spot, Haejin was having her lunch while looking around wondering if it was always this quiet. It was, actually. It’s just that all this time she’d always been having lunch with her mind occupied with work. Well, ever since she joined The Safe House, this was the first time she didn’t have any work to do, on a regular work day. Or to be exact, the Chief cleared her schedule of the day which was agreed immediately by her team.

She shoved another spoonful of chicken porridge into . Her lips drew a thin line curling upwards as she recalled their bickering when she told him not to bother cooking but he insisted on doing it for her. He had made his special hangover soup and a super-large portion of chicken porridge. It’s to make up for all the meals she’d skipped, he had said when she protested. He even had stayed to make sure she finished the hangover soup. Her smile faded when their conversation in her room flashed back.

 

“Jae, what about Jessica? Have you talked to her?” Haejin was concerned, though it was more to the baby.

Jaejoong was slightly taken aback seeing that sincere concern in her eyes. Heaven knew how much pain it was for her only at the name of Jessica, let alone worrying the baby she was carrying. He sighed, feeling frustrated that she still hurt, that he still couldn’t yet fully protect her.

“The baby is not mine,” he said.

“What?” Haejin jerked back too suddenly that her head pierced. She yelped upon the sudden attack. He wanted to touch her head but she brushed his hand off.

“I’m not following. Explain,” she demanded. What a morning full of surprise, she mentally remarked. A part of her head was grateful for her exceptional ability in taking on shocks, otherwise she’d be dying from heart attack by now.

Jaejoong hesitated, but her eyes didn’t waver a bit. “That night I was too drunk. My friends told me they had to support me to the car because I could barely walk. How could I do anything with her in that state?”

The crease on her forehead didn’t loosen. Her eyes still shot him critical gaze, telling him that she knew there was more to it. He became slightly fidgety at her innocence, since he wasn’t one who talked about his private matters to ladies. You know, those private matters.

“You see, I know my body very well, so…” he tried to phrase it. “I can tell the difference… when I wake up… whether I have, you know…” He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

Haejin grasped his issue and quickly cut him off, “I see. What are you going to do then?”

He tried to act casually to brush off the awkward atmosphere. “I’m looking for the proofs now. It’s not easy, but I’ll find them,” he said.

A suggestion popped up in her mind. “She can have paternity testing,” she said hesitantly. “I’m just letting you know. I’m not saying this for my sake,” she clarified as soon as she saw his eyes widened.

“Is it possible to do in pregnancy? I don’t have to wait until the baby is born?”

“Yes. It can be done in the 10th week of pregnancy, but I wouldn’t suggest it. It’d be better to have it on 14th week or later,” she explained.

The enlightenment gave him a flood of hope like he’d never had before. He held her hand as he looked in to her eyes.

“Will you wait? I know it’s too much to ask, but—”

“I will. And it’s not too much. I’m not going anywhere,” she assured him. She patted his hand that was holding her other one.

Jaejoong couldn’t help the gush of emotions inside him that he folded her in his arms ever so tightly, hoping his gratitude would reach her. Hoping she would feel that he needed her more than he could admit, probably more than she needed him.

“Thank you,” he huffed. Haejin smiled, though unseen by him. For the first time, after all the times she waited and all the times she held back, she encircled her arms holding him close to her heart.

 

That newly made memory brought another smile to her face before she realized it. But again, that smile disappeared as her thoughts went to Jaejoong, who was on his way to meet Jessica. Not even the least bit of jealousy tinged her, for she was truly worried. She felt uneasy. She didn’t want anything bad happened to Jessica, because it might endanger the innocent baby. But if the test result was matched, which meant the baby wouldn’t be growing up fatherless, she would dread the supposedly good news either. Being honest to herself, she was not sure that she’d survive another fall.

♦♦♦

“Oppa! Finally! Where have you been? I waited all night. You didn’t join the breakfast either,” Jessica blurted as soon as Jaejoong entered the mansion.

His other two band members were also there in the living room, sitting without any sign of worry. Yoochun casually greeted, “Hey, hyung. Everything’s good?”

“Yeah,” he replied shortly. Junsu was going to meet Jaeyeon, and he gave his leader a hug on his way out. Jaejoong playfully smacked him on the arm, earning an equally strong hit from Junsu.

“Oh, I almost forgot. Yoochun-ah,” he called when Junsu had left. The called person turned his head, looking attentive.

“We’re going to extend our stay. Would you take care of the administration stuffs? I’ve talked to our manager and the CEO,” Jaejoong said calmly, ignoring the daggers Jessica shot through her eyes.

Yoochun only nodded before heading out. He gave a light pat on Jaejoong’s shoulder as he walked past him. And that left him and Jessica alone in the mansion. He turned to Jessica, who looked upset, if not boiling.

“What was that all about, oppa? Why didn’t you tell me?” she bombarded him in high pitch, which made it even more annoying. But Jaejoong remained composed as he moved to the bar, motioning her to come along.

“Come and sit, Sica-ya,” he said pointing the stool next to him. He heard her scoffed.

“Are you not going to answer my questions now? You’re ignoring me? Is that it?” she ranted at his face, without bothering to sit.

Jaejoong sipped his water. “I’ll get to the point then. Get a paternity test on the baby,” he stated. When he turned to look at her, his face was dead cold and his gaze was twice worse.

“O-oppa,” Jessica stuttered as she felt the anger he held in. Her hands began to tremble, but she hid it with her skirt.

“The test can only be performed not earlier than 3 months of pregnancy. So until then, it’s better if we don’t bump in to each other,” Jaejoong told her lightly, but not the least friendly. He was not the Jaejoong who she could always call at any hour to cry or ask for advice. He was distant. Strange. Rather than despising his treatment, Jessica was saddened by it.

“Jae-jaejoong oppa…” was all she could muster. Her voice was shaking for she was on the verge of tears.

Jaejoong sighed at the sight. He turned away and stared at the glass in his hands. He’d always cared for Jessica, she was like a spoiled little sister who would come to him in ups and downs. They managed to maintain a very good friendship after their breakup, and to tell the truth, Jaejoong didn’t like how things turned out for them either.

He downed the water in one gulp and got up. Standing facing her, Jaejoong spoke a lot softer, “You can stop now, Sica-ya. I don’t know why you’re doing this or who made you like this, but this is not you. At least I know that one for sure.”

Tears was falling from her eyes, but she held the cry. As her head bent down, she closed her lips tightly that it turned white. Jaejoong lightly squeezed her arm before he left. As soon as he was gone, Jessica burst into tears. Though the sobs were still uncontrollable, she took her cell in her pocket and made a call. Her hand was trembling while waiting for the other party.

Yes?” A male voice answered the call.

“Dong Wook oppa, I can’t do this anymore. You have to take the responsibility.”

 


 

23rd chapter! Whoa, I didn't think we'd get this far \(^o^)/

Thank you very much for reading and commenting! To our new family, HristyS, Zee933, and piratess, thank you for subscribing :D

I hope you like this one, do share your thoughts <3