Tango In The Countryside

The Safe House

Breakfast was a lot quieter. With the absence of three, the chattering and laughter were scarce. Metal utensils clinking, flips of newspaper page, and yawns mostly dominated the mornings. Not a bad thing, though—because the air was nicely breathable.

“Everything’s fine, my dears?” Chief asked behind his newspaper.

Responses were a quiet ‘yeah’, a mutter of ‘all good’, and a sleepy nod from the youngest. Chief didn’t have to put his newspaper down to see their comebacks; he knew them too well he could almost see them without really looking at them. And their half-asleep answers brought smile to his face, as it meant they were fine. No father rejoiced over their daughters’ tears.

“Good. And maknae dear,” he said as he folded the newspaper, “You have two days off, yes?”

Haejin nodded, “Yes. I’m going to the countryside again, Jeolla this time. There is a village where the nearest hospital is still 45 minute drive.” She took a sip of her milk tea, wincing when the hot liquid poured down .

“That’s not good. Are you going to stay there until tomorrow?” asked the chief concerned.

“Yeah, I’m going to bring some important meds. I’ll see if I can have other heavy tools delivered there,” Haejin said while rubbing the sleep off her eyes.

“Just don’t forget to get enough rest, dear. And keep us informed,” Chief reminded, pressing on the last words. Haejin again nodded.

“Like for real, Haejin-ah. Text us like two or three times a day. You always said you would but you never remembered to,” Jaeyeon chirped in. Siyoung, next to her, already setting her firm eyes on the youngest, her look implying the exact same thing Jaeyeon said.

“Ugh, I knew it you’d bring it up. I’m sorry, you know I have a short-term memory problem. I’ll keep a reminder on my phone this time, okay?” Haejin’s pitch turned slightly higher and her lips puckered in a pout like a five year-old—only happened on times like this, when she felt like being scolded. Youngest will be youngest, right?

“Good. I’m expecting three messages a day,” Siyoung instructed in a very calm voice. Haejin groaned lazily once again before nodding to both of her pleasantly nagging sisters. Chief smiled inwardly seeing his little flowers.

The day almost went on like any other one, before one of the receptionists came in. “Chief, you have a guest waiting. It’s miss Jessica Jung from Girls’ Generation.”

They all stopped in motion, attentions were directed at the receptionist. From her back, entered the said person in a modest outfit and simple ponytail. She’s a lot skinnier and still lack of colors on her face, but she looked far better.

“Hi everyone, I’m sorry I came without notice,” Jessica smiled apologetically.

Chief was the first to rise from his chair and went over to her. “It’s okay, kid. How are you feeling?” Chief gave her a fatherly hug that Jessica welcomed so gladly.

“A lot better, thank you Chief. I’m actually here to talk about something important, and it’s going to be a bit long. Is it possible?” she asked, looking over to Haejin and the other two.

“Of course, please come and join us. Have you had your breakfast?” Haejin smiled genuinely, at the same time looking slightly alarmed, suspecting the topic Jessica was going to bring up.

“No, I rushed here first thing in the morning, so…” she trailed off. Chief called one of the housekeepers to take her orders. “I’ll have porridge please. Thank you,” Jessica said. She lightly hugged Siyoung and Jaeyeon as greetings before moving to Haejin’s side, hugging her a little tighter, and settling on the chair next to Haejin.

“Tea?” Haejin asked, though her hands were already reaching for the tea cups and sugar. Jessica chuckled weakly as she whispered ‘thanks’. The porridge came shortly.

“I guess I’ll just get to the problem. Oh, before I begin, if anyone needs to leave or has things to do, please feel free to. Don’t let me get in your way,” Jessica assured them and got friendly smiles in return.

“It’s about the… father of the baby,” she said with noticeable agony in every word. Haejin put the tea in front of Jessica and gently squeezed her shoulder.

“I have decided to bring this to the court. The investigation has started and they’d call you both. I thought I should give you a heads up. The jerk is actor Lee Dong Wook," Jessica said carefully. The sharp gasps and shrieks were all she'd predicted, so unsurprised, Jessica waited for the awful truth to sink in before she continued.

“We had a relationship once but it was over. We just got… carried away when we met again after a few years. It was supposed to be a one night stand,” she sighed as she took another spoon of porridge into . It suddenly tasted bitter.

“I’ve told the police that he intended to frame Jaejoong oppa, also that Jaejoong oppa had been staying here when all of this happened. So they might show up here and to question you for details. Well, mostly you, Haejin-ssi, because I told them that you’re Jaejoong oppa’s girlfriend and you were with us along the way,” Jessica explained.

“Sure, I’m glad if I can help with anything,” Haejin said attentively, if not cautiously. “Have you told Jaejoong about this? The police would likely look for him first, I believe.”

“Yes. I’ve called him yesterday,” Jessica finished her porridge.

“Where is he now? Lee Dong Wook, I mean,” asked Jaeyeon, looking dead serious. Being one of the top lawyers in the country had sharpened her intuition very profoundly.

“In the US. The police and immigration office had confirmed it a few days ago.”

“Okay. Now I’m afraid I have to go, but thank you for letting us know. Keep us informed about this, Jessica-ssi. And if the police needs anything regarding Jaejoong, you can give them my contact. I’m his lawyer,” Jaeyeon smiled. Jessica looked relieved and nodded enthusiastically.

With that and a light hug for Jessica, Jaeyeon left the table. “Well, I guess I’ve spilled everything out. You guys must be busy, I won’t take your time any longer,” Jessica took the last sip of her tea and stood up.

“It’s alright, really. Thank you for letting us know beforehand,” Haejin also rose from her chair and hugged Jessica tightly, patting her back with genuine affection.

“Thanks to you too. I’ll get going then. Thank you, Chief,” she hugged the big daddy before she left The Safe House. Chief’s warmth reached to Jessica, and she was glad for it. I love it here much more than I should, she thought as she drove away.

“Alright, that’s settled. I’ll get my things and be gone too,” Haejin walked over to Siyoung and smooched her cheek. “Love you, sis,” she said. “Three messages,” the eldest reminded.

Haejin rolled her eyes when she moved to hug the chief. “Love you, Pop.”

♦♦♦

After several hours, Haejin reached safely in the Jeolla and was welcomed right away by the village chief. He was a man in his thirties, she guessed, looked very humble that Haejin felt comfortable already. The man escorted her to a car he'd prepared to take them to the village.

Just as the car drove off, her cellphone started ringing. She rummaged her bag and looked at the screen.  Her lips curled up as soon as she saw the caller ID. “Hey, Jae.”

“Hi, love. Where are you?”

“I’m on the way to the village with their chief. How’s your day?”

He paused for a good two seconds. “I just got a phone call from the Gangnam Police. They summoned me to come for interrogation tomorrow.”

Haejin noticed the brief silence and the change in his tone, though she could tell he was trying hard to sound calm. “Are you nervous?” asked Haejin softly, hiding her concerns.

She could hear him chuckling faintly on the other end. “Am I that obvious? Yeah, I’m very nervous. Are you going to laugh at me?” he spoke on a little lower pitch in the last question.

Haejin blinked once and her laugh broke. “Of course not, you silly. I’m laughing now because you’re just too cute. You’ll do well darling, don’t worry. Trust me.” Haejin tried to give him comfort, silently wishing she could be by his side and give him a hug.

A long heave was heard from his end, but it was lighter. “I miss you. When are you coming back?" He sounded more at ease.

“Tomorrow evening. What about you?” she asked absently as she enjoyed the modest yet relaxing scenery through the glass window.

“I have a script reading tomorrow morning. We can have a late supper, if you want. What do you think? You're going to be very tired. Do you think you can make it?”

Her face lit up with a smile and pink shades on both her cheeks. “Of course. I think I'll be alright, depends on the food, though. Are you cooking again?”

Jaejoong chuckled lovingly. “Yes, my love. See you tomorrow night, then. Text me, okay? I love you.”

“Okay. I love you,” she ended the conversation as well. Haejin switched to messaging application on her phone and started typing a text to both of her teammate. She typed, Text number 1. I have arrived safely. Send.

She grinned mischievously as she finished and sent it. They only said they were expecting for three messages, didn't they?

“We’re here, miss,” the man interrupted her thoughts. She quickly tidied up her bag and hopped off the car. She thanked the driver for helping her with the heavy luggages as she stood in front of a modest two-leveled building, or house, maybe. It’s the largest house in the village, and they were using it for a clinic.

The villagers were surrounding the clinic as they never had a doctor visitor, and obviously had never been treated by an internationally acclaimed doctor, free of charge. That went for the medications, too. Haejin went on to enter the clinic, but couldn’t get through. Five pairs of eyes sparkling with excitement and curiosity lined up at the entrance, stopping the young doctor on her feet and looked down. They were only as tall as her thigh, so she kneeled while those eyes followed her movement.

“Hello, how are you?” Haejin asked in a very gentle yet cute demeanor—something she hardly showed to people. Kids were her soft spot.

The curly little girl smiled and threw her short arms around Haejin’s neck, or what she could reach of it. Haejin was startled but chuckled right after, enjoying the warm welcome. She lifted the little girl as she stood up and walked in to the clinic. The little cutie pie settled very comfortably in her cradle until she finished inspecting the place, while the other four was trailing her like baby ducks.

After the welcoming ritual was done and her temporary practice space was all set, Haejin went out to enjoy the view, the air, the quietness. She was thinking of taking a walk for a bit when she saw a man outside the clinic, coughing pretty badly. Her feet had jogged a few steps toward him when she stopped midway.

Wait a second. Wait a second. Isn’t it..?

Holy crap.

 

“Good afternoon, Sir,” Haejin approached, holding her composure.

The man coughed once and tilt his head, giving her a confused look. “Good afternoon.”

“Ah, I thought so. Actor Lee Dong Wook, right?”

 


 

Hi guys! I know, I know it's been forever, and I'm sorry. >_<

Thank you for still staying, and for our new subscribers... mimisada, minjee4236, MivlaShun, infinite007, munaali, and chunnea. Welcome to the family! Thanks for everybody who comments or reads, it means a lot.

I will finish this story, that I can promise you. So even if it took a while for me to update, please bear with me, okay? I'll do my best ^^

I hope you like this chapter, feel free to share your thoughts!

Lots of hugs sent your way :D