Gravity's Turn

The Safe House

Haejin froze for a split second, trying to register the scene before her eyes—Jaejoong sitting on the bedside while a girl with golden hair lying sick on the bed. By the time he noticed a presence and turned around, she already managed to look normal.

“Haejin-ah…” he stood up. His face showed guilt, and she didn’t like it. But again, she pushed it aside as it wasn’t the issue right now.

“What happened?” Haejin asked as she moved closer to the girl, intending to reach her forehead. An invisible fist just smacked the pit of her stomach when she took a closer look at the girl and recognized her as… Jessica Jung of Girls’ Generation.

“She said her stomach felt bad. She had been vomiting all night, although she barely ate anything,” Jaejoong said from Haejin’s back, which hid her shocked face.

The fatigue-looking body on the bed slightly moved, and it brought Haejin back to her senses. The golden haired lady slowly opened her eyes, revealing a very tired look. Haejin was the first person her eyes made a contact with.

“Jessica-ssi?” Haejin called her name, helping her to recollect herself. Those dimmed eyes widened at the name, although it was hardly noticeable.

“I’m Park Haejin, and I’m a doctor. How are you feeling?” Haejin asked in a tender voice.

Jessica tried to clear before opening . “Something’s wrong with my stomach, doctor. I keep vomiting even though I didn’t eat anything. I feel nausea all day, and it gets worse at certain times,” she weakly explained.

Just when Haejin was about to talk, Jessica suddenly clasped . She was going to vomit again. She got up and stood but immediately limped as the whirling sensation struck her head. Jaejoong quickly caught her weight and helped her to the bathroom. Meanwhile, Haejin took her smartphone and called the Medical Unit.

“I need a stretcher in mansion number one, immediately. And prepare a room for the patient,” she instructed before hanging up.

“So what is it?” Yoochun approached with a calm voice. Haejin lightly shook her head as she said, “I’m still not sure. It can be digestive problems, hormonal, stress, or even possibly bulimia. We have to take her to the Medical Unit first.”

At the moment when Jaejoong came out of the bathroom with Jessica in his arms, a nurse appeared on the door and informed the stretcher was ready. Haejin turned around to Jaejoong who was still supporting Jessica with his body and said, “Jaejoong-ssi, do you mind carrying her downstairs?”

He only shook his head and swiftly moved his arm to Jessica’s waist while the other arm was placed at the back of her knee as he lifted her. He walked right behind Haejin who was few steps ahead, and the rest followed shortly. They headed to the Medical Unit immediately after Jessica was laid on the stretcher.

Jessica was brought to the room they had prepared. With the help from the two nurses, she was all set in a minute. Haejin stood on her side with a tablet in her hand, which she always used for keeping the patients’ records. The others decided to wait outside the room, only Jaejoong stayed with Haejin.

“Jessica-ssi, when did this start?” Haejin asked while checking her body temperature, heartbeat, and blood pressure.

“I guess… About 2 days ago,” she replied.

“Do you feel anything aside from the nausea?”

Jessica knitted her eyebrows together, thinking. “I feel dizzy a lot, and I get tired easily. Also, I think my stomach is cramped,” she told her while rubbing her flat belly.

Again, for the second time already today, Haejin froze upon hearing her answer. One did not have to be a doctor to guess those symptomps. It came to her awareness about the next question she should proceed, but she was unsure whether or not she could handle the outcome. Still, she carried on her duty as any doctor would do without losing her focus. She could feel her breathing started to shudder. The corner of her eye caught a glimpse of a man's presence, which none other than Jaejoong. Before getting to the initial question, she decided to make sure, “I’m going to ask you a personal question, is it okay with you to have a male presence?”

The answer was unexpected for both Haejin and Jaejoong. “It’s okay. As long as it’s Jaejoong, it’s fine,” she smiled heartily, bringing a slight pink tint on her pale cheek.

Due to those minor mental attacks she encountered earlier, Haejin managed to take on that one. She nodded and went for the question that suddenly sounded dreadful, “Have you had your period this month?”

Jessica looked around. “Do you have any calendar? Ah, there it is,” Jessica found the calendar on the table next to her. Her eyes searched the numbers on it and gasped. “Oh! My period is already 2 days late!”

Haejin had to bite her lower lip to suppress the sudden twinge on her left chest. She still managed to give a calming smile when Jessica turned to her with worried eyes. “Wait a second, please. I’ll get you something,” she lightly squeezed Jessica’s shoulder.

A pair of faltering eyes met her gaze at the moment when she turned around. Again, she felt that twinge on the same spot. As much as she wanted to know the cause to that distressed look of his, she needed to put her utmost attention at the moment for the patient. She walked past him to the door and went straight to the Medication Room. Her head was partly blank by the time she reached there. She opened the glass cupboard and saw what she looked for. Pregnancy test pack.

She grabbed two packs and immediately returned to the room. Stopping in front of the door, she winced from the sudden pain striking her left chest. She walked in to the room after shortly pressing the aching spot. The two people there were still on the same position just as how she left them. Only, Jaejoong looked even paler, pretty much contrast to Jessica whose face started to color.

“Here,” Haejin handed the test packs, earning widened eyes from Jessica. “You know what to do with it, right? I suggest you to use both of it, just to be confirmed,” Haejin said and then helped her up. She would help her to the bathroom as well, but Jessica told her to wait.

With Jessica going to the bathroom, that left Haejin with Jaejoong. For the first time, an awkward silence took over the two. Haejin was focusing on typing Jessica’s medical record when Jaejoong hesitantly stepped closer. Her hand was slightly shaking, though she tried her best not to. He was about to open his mouth when his eyes noticed it.

“Haejin-ah…” his voice cracked. She tightened her jaw before plastering a smile on her face. “The test packs are quite accurate. If it’s negative, then we’ll have to go to the hospital for a check on her digesting system,” she spoke unintentionally faster. He still held his anxious eyes on her, not liking the feeling to see her shuddering.

Before he could say anything, sound of door closing was heard. They both darted their eyes to the bathroom. Jessica came out, her face was rather unreadable. She walked past Haejin and sat on the side of the bed.

“How’s the result?” Haejin asked as her heart thumped fiercely against her chest.

Instead of answering, Jessica handed her the test kits and shifted her gaze to Jaejoong. Haejin looked at the two kits on her palm, both showing… double lines.

“Guess you’re a father now, oppa,” Jessica looked at the motionless man standing in front of her. His eyes went blank along with his mind, as if the soul had been ripped off his body.

 


 

Guess it's a bit surprising, yes? Thank you for reading and commenting, beautiful readers <3

And thanks to theoetha, xavi26, and JessGivsBesitos for subscribing :D

Let me know what you think of this chapter! ^^