아홉

Lighted Fireflies

"Do you believe in fireflies?"

Soo Ra sighs and lays on her bed. She streches out both of her hands and plays with them. She stops when she sees the bracelet on her hand. "Omma." She touches the bracelet and smiles. Memories start to flash back. 

Omma, Soo Na pooped! Soo Ra's mother wipes her hands on her apron and walks to the bedroom. Soo Ra, being the busy body, followed her mum to the room. "It stinks!" her mom looks at her weirdly. "Go away." her mom shoved her away with her hand but Soo Ra stayed there. "Omma, was my poop that stinky?" Soo Ra asked, pointing to the diaper. Her mom didn't answer her. Soo Ra made a face. "Omma, are you listening?" her mother sighed and faced her. She smiled when her mother gave her her full attention. "Was my poop that stinky?" her mother wrapped the diaper with some newspaper before throwing it into the rubbish bin. She shakes her head. "Yes! Soo Na's poop is stinkier than mine!" Soo Ra jumped up and down. Her mom chuckled lightly. "Omma, when will appa come back?" her mother stopped what she was doing upon hearing the word 'appa'. "Soo Ra-ah, what if appa is gone forever?" Soo Ra eyed her mom weirdly. "Why would he be gone?" Soo Ra takes a sweet from the container and popped it into . "Soo Ra, appa is a bad man. Do you understand?" Soo Ra shakes her head. Her mother sighed. "One day, we will leave him." her mom muttered softly. 

Now Soo Ra knows why her dad is a bad man. He put his own children in the orphanage. Worse, he made Soo Ra changes. From a bubbly kid to a person everyone hates. Miss Jung walks pass her room and saw the lights is still on. She opens the door slowly, avoiding to make any noise. When she sees Soo Ra is asleep, she switches off the lights and leaves the room. Bad choice. 

"Appa, where are we going?" Soo Ra asked his father while looking out the window. Soo Na is sleeping. His father remains silence. "You forgot about omma. She is still in the hospital." Soo Ra said. His father didn't answer. "APPA!" Soo Ra shouts to get her father's attention. His father stopped the car all of a sudden, making Soo Na awake. "Get off." Soo Ra  looks out the window and sees an old building. Nothing more. "Where is this?" Soo Na asked, rubbing her sleepy eyes. His father gets out from the car and pulls both of them out. "Appa! Let us go!" his father dragged them inside the building. It is furnished with some old furnitures. It feels eerie in the building. Cold breeze keep blowing from the open windows. "You two are staying here from now on." Soo Na cried. "How about omma?" Soo Ra asked. His father turns his head. "YOUR OMMA IS DEAD!" and with that, he leaves both his daughter in the orphanage. "YOUR OMMA IS DEAD!" the voice keep ringing in Soo Ra's head. 

Soo Ra wakes up with her body covered in sweat. She looks at the clock. 2:57. She sighed. She opens the lights and walks to the bathroom to wash up a little. She doesn't remember closing the lights before she slept. She wipes her face with a towel and walks down. She fills a cup with cold water and leans on the counter. "It's just a dream, Soo Ra, a nightmare." she tries to assure herself but tears started to flow. She wipes off the tears with the back of her hand. Stay strong. She said to herself. She takes a sip of water. "What are doing?" the sudden voice frightened Soo Ra and the cup slipped of her hand. Another broken one. 

Soo Ra turns around and saw Luhan. "Drinking water." Soo Ra squats down and picks up the broken pieces. Soo Ra can't see since it was too dark in the kitchen. A small piece cut Soo Ra's finger and she winced a little. She quickly the finger and continues to pick up the remainding pieces. Luhan grabs her hand and stopped her. She tries to shake off his hand but his grip is too strong. "You are cold." Luhan said and puts his hand on her forehead. Soo Ra turns her face to other side, avoiding him to do so. Luhan sighed and cupped her face. "Are you sick?" Soo Ra shakes her head. Luhan takes the first aid kid from the cabinet of the kitchen and places it on the counter. 

He takes a plaster and holds Soo Ra's injured finger. "I can do it myself." Soo Ra said and takes the plaster from Luhan. Luhan leans on the counter while watching her. When she has a hard time tearing off the wrapper, Luhan snatches the plaster back. After tearing off the wrapper, Soo Ra grabs the plaster away from Luhan again. "Don't treat me so well if you will leave me later." Soo Ra mutters and walks back to her room. She muttered softly but it was loud enough for Luhan to hear. Luhan looks at Soo Ra's back. Even though Soo Ra didn't tell him anything about her past, but he can sense that she is injured, hurt, and is having a hard time healing. 

Before going to sleep, Soo Ra makes sure she left one light opens. She doesn't want the same thing to repeat again. 


Breakfast is simple. Egg and bacon. "The company is planning a trip." Jae Sook broke the silence. Halmonie looks at him, interested at the topic. "They are planning to hike. They say it won't be fun if it's just a simple trip to oversea." Halmonie nods her head in agreement. "Youngsters nowadays are more active. Just do whatever you want, tell them to take a good rest." Jae Sook nods his head. "Since the weather is good these days, I think someday in this week will be good. Anybody wants to join?" LuYoon shakes her head. "I am busy this whole week." Halmonie glares at her. LuYoon smiles innocently. "I promise my girlfriends that we will go shopping." LuYoon shrugged. Jae Sook turns his attention to Luhan. "Since you are the heir, why don't you join us?" Luhan shakes his head. "Come on, it will be fun." Luhan shakes his head again. "Lulu, just go. Don't stay at home everyday and rots." Luhan rolls his eyes at LuYoon.

Jae Sook nods happily. "YoonMi-ah, as the secretary of our company, you can join too." Jae Sook looks at YoonMi. YoonMi hesitated for awhile. "Just go, you need some rest too." Halmonie assures YoonMi. She nods her head. Jae Sook claps his hand. "Soo Ra, do you want to join?" Soo Ra quickly shakes her head. She hates exercising. Espcially hiking. "Let's go. It will be fun." Jae Sook said, trying to persue Soo Ra. She just smiles and shakes her head. Jae Sook sighed. "Soo Ra, you should go to. Try to bond with the people in the company." Jae Sook nods in agreement with halmonie. Soo Ra sighs and nods her head. She doesn't dare to say no to halmonie. Jae Sook smiles. 

Later in the afternoon, Jae Sook tells them that the trip will be on Tuesday. Two days from today. YoonMi quickly excused herself to pack her bag. LuYoon rolls her eyes at her drama. "Soo Ra, don't you need to pack your bag too?" Jae Sook asked. Soo Ra shakes her head and smiles. "I thought girls need long time to pack." Jae Sook raises his eyebrows. Soo Ra smiles weirdly. "I don't need that long." LuYoon laughs, earning a questioning pair of eyes from Soo Ra. Jae Sook nods. Luhan smiles lightly. "How long are you guys going?" LuYoon asked. Jae Sook tilted his head. "Three to four days. Why? Interested?" LuYoon shakes her head. "I got dates." Jae Sook scoffed. 


Soo Ra slips into her sports singlet and she wears a white sweater, just in case the weather is chilly. She wore a pair of sweatpants. She puts her toiletries into her backpack before wearing her black sport shoes. When she walks down, she sees a human christmas tree. YoonMi is wearing a sleeveless top and a pair of tight jeans. "Let's go!" Jae Sook shouted from the outside. Oh, and a luggage. Soo Ra looks at her outfit, then to YoonMi's. They are hiking, right? Before going out, LuYoon hugs Soo Ra. "Come back safely!" Soo Ra smiles and nods. In the car, Luhan sits in the passenger seat with Jae Sook, while Soo Ra sits behind with the christmas tree, YoonMi. Jae Sook climbs into the driver seat and looks back. He is startled by YoonMi's outfit. Soo Ra can tell just by looking at his expression. 

"YoonMi, are you sure you are wearing those?" YoonMi looks at her outfit then nods. "Don't worry. I am really good at sports!" Jae Sook turns back and starts the engine. "If you say so!"


Yeap, sudden update. I told you guys I will be on hiatus till October but then I am sick of studying. So, TADAH! Hope you guys enjoy! :)