다섯

Lighted Fireflies

"Do you believe in fireflies?"

"Halmonie! You said you will give me time before you arrange anything!" Luhan shouted. Jae Sook patted his nephew's shoulder and Luhan sits down on the couch again. Halmonie nods her head reculantly before givinh any reply. "You are already 20, you are at the age of marriage," halmonie sips her tea before continuing "You know what the media wants. I arranged this for your own sake." Luhan scoffs. "For my own sake? There is only the company in your eyes." With that, Luhan left the living room, leaving the rest of them shocked. LuYoon stood up and chased after her brother while Jae Sook shook his head and left the living room with a sigh. 

"Yoon Mi, bring me to my room." Yoon Mi nods her head and holds onto halmonie's hand. Soo Ra is the only person sitting in the gloomy living room. All the tears she tried to fight flow down without her notice. Suddenly, everything make sense to her. Why halmonie wanted Yoon Mi to teach her, why halmonie was so strict to her, and finally, why she was the choosen one. With the rest of her energy, Soo Ra stands up and walks to her bedroom. She takes the photo from the nightstand beside her bed and holds it in her embrace. It is a photo of her and her mother before her mother is dead. She was only 5 that time. With a wide grin plastered on her face. 

"Soo Ra, which flavour do you want?" her mother asked her, kneeing in front of her to make sure both of them are at the same eye level. Soo Ra looks around the ice cream shop and finally points toward a strawberry cream cheese one. Her mother smiled and paid the old man money. After the ice cream once, Soo Ra holds the ice cream up high. "Omma, do you want some?" her mother only shakes her head and smiles. She knew how much her daughter love strawberry. After walking awhile, Soo Ra stopped at a photo booth. "Omma, I want to try this." Soo Ra points her little pinky on the photo booth. Her mother nods her head and they both went in. "Kimchi!" both of them smile and the camera took a photo of them.  

Soo Ra wipes of her tears with the back of her hand and puts the photo back on the nightstand. She takes out a pink blouse and a pale peach flowy skirt from her closet and walks into the bathroom. After checking the temperature of the water, she walks into the shower room to take a shower as if it can wash everything away.


Miss Jung knocks on Soo Ra's door and waited for any reply. "Soo Ra-shi," Miss Jung knocks on the door once again. "I am going in now." Miss Jung twists the door knob carefully and opens the door ajar. She looks around the room and finds Soo Ra sleeping on her bed. Miss Jung walks toward the bed and shakes Soo Ra a little. She turns a little but isn't awake. "Soo Ra-shi, it's dinner time," Soo Ra flinched and opens her eyes. "I am sorry for disturbing you but it's dinner time already." Soo Ra rubs her eyes and nods her head. After washing her face, Soo Ra looks at the reflection of herself at the mirror and smiles lightly. *You can do it.*

Soo Ra walks to the dining room with small steps. Everyone is already at the dining table, eating. "What took you so long?" halmonie asked with an angry tone. "I am sorry." halmonie shakes her head, earning a smirk from Yoon Mi. Soo Ra sits beside LuYoon, which happened to be the seat opposite Luhan. The maid serves her a bowl of rice and she started eating. LuYoon takes a piece of chicken and places it on Soo Ra's bowl. She then looks at Soo Ra and waited for any respond. Soo Ra eats it in one bite. The taste of almond fills Soo Ra's whole mouth. "Is it delicious? It's chicken cooked in almond, it's my new recipe. How is it?" 

Soo Ra gives her a faint smile and continues to chew the chicken slowly. She is alergic to every kind of nuts. Almond, walnut, pecan, cashew, hazelnut or macadamia. Everything that relates to nuts will make her skin insane. Rashes and red spots can be seen just after a few minutes. "If it's delicious, eat more." LuYoon puts another piece on her bowl. Soo Ra can't do anything. She remembers how much halmonie hates it when someone waste any food. "The chicken isn't cook fully, it is still a little raw." Luhan speaks out of nowhere. LuYoon raises her eyebrow. "Is it? I tried it and I think it's fine." Halmonie takes a piece and tries it. She knows the chicken is well cooked but since it's Luhan that spook, she will agree with him.

"It's a little raw, don't eat it." Halmonie commented and LuYoon sighed. "I should have cook it longer," Soo Ra smiles to herself. At least luck is still on her side. "You all enjoy dinner, I am tired. I will go get some rest." Halmonie stands up and  walks slowly to her bedroom with Yoon Mi's help. Soo Ra eats a few more mouthful of rice and left too. "You are done?" LuYoon asked. Soo Ra smiles and nods her head. She then walks to her bedroom. Rashes are appearing on her feet, her weak spot. Soo Ra fills a bucket with warm water and soaks her feet in the bucket. "I should have asked for some medicine." 

Suddenly, there is a knock on her door. Soo Ra takes out her feet and wipes them on the carpet. She opens the door to see Miss Jung outside. "I am sorry to disturb you. I was told to bring this." Miss Jung hands her a small container. She took it and closes the door. *Are you idiot or insane? If you are alergic to anything, just say. Idiot.* Soo Ra's eyes widen in shock. How can anyone notice? She opens the container and starts to spread the cream on her feet and some places that are starting to grow rashes. The cold sensation makes Soo Ra's feet feeling relieve. Soo Ra looks at the small note again. "Is it from LuYoon unnie?"

Soo Ra looks at her feet to check if the rashes have gone. They are still there but the colour is slightly lighter than just now. Soo Ra opens the door big enough only for her head. She puts her head out of the door and looks around the long corridor. When she is sure there is no one out there, she tip-toed out from her bedroom. "Are you a robber?" Soo Ra was frightened and she drops the container.  She turns around and saw Luhan standing behind her. Luhan walks toward her and sandwich her between him and the wall. Soo Ra gulps and step backwards until there is no more space. 

"I don't know where you are from, and what is your motive here. If you are here just for money, you can leave this house." Soo Ra can't believe what she just heard. First it was Yoon Mi, now, it is Luhan. "Don't shed a single tear." Luhan pulls back his hand and walks back to his room. Soo Ra looks at his back and wipes off the tears. It is the third time she cry today. She can't believe what she thought is a happy ending will become a nightmare to her.

Soo Ra sits on the floor and breath heavily. Just when she wanted to stand up, Yoon Mi appears with an evil smile plastered on her face. "You should have known the consequences." With another smirk on her face, Yoon Mi left Soo Ra alone. Tears are pooling in her eyes once again. Just like hat Yoon Mi said, she hold have known the consequences. Soo Ra stands up and went down. Th lights are all off. The house seem dull and sorrow, as if it is accompanying Soo Ra. Soo Ra walks to the back door and opens it. When th door is big enough for her to see the backyard if the house, she saw fireflies. Hundreds of them flying around.

Soo Ra walks out bare footed. The backyard is full with tall grass and an old tree. It is accompany by a small pond. A perfect place for fireflies. She walks to one of the fireflies and catches it easily with her hand. She then remembers the backyard of the orphanage. Same dull and sorrow feeling, but the fireflies lighted up her world.