One to remember

A Different Beginning

“Wait, Kangin!” Jonghyun's voice came from the other side of the door. “If there is a guest out there, please send them in!”

Kangin, who had stopped just inside the open door thus not fully seeing Kibum, nodded and closed it behind him. When he finally noticed the other he had already reached the desk and he flinched slightly in surprise. Kibum tried hard not to smile but couldn’t help the small curve of his lips. It was his turn to scare him now, although his own heart was beating hard from the shock of seeing the other.

“Hello?” Kangin said questioningly. “Are you the one Mr. Kim is expecting?”

Kibum blinked at him incredulously.

Mr. Kim for him as well?

He nodded, pressing his lips together to not say something he knew he would regret. Kangin left the papers at the desk before beckoning Kibum to follow him, opening the door again and sticking his head in.

“Your guest is here, Mr. Kim.” Was all he said. Then he pushed a distraught Kibum inside a large office with a desk in the middle and bookshelves all around the walls except the one behind the desk which was of glass, closing the door and leaving the other to try and gather his thoughts at lightning speed while Jonghyun looked up from his laptop with a wide smile. Kibum felt his heart clench a little and he became even more aware of the fact that he was still very much in love with this man.

“You’re here.” He said cheerily and closed the computer.

“Y-yeah…” Kibum answered sheepishly, still standing just inside the door and feeling the butterflies that the other created in him slowly wake up.

Jonghyun tilted his head a little and pointed at the armchair opposite him. “You can sit down if you want.”

Kibum's legs seemed to get a life of their own and took him forward to sit down in the chair, while he tried to be discreet about staring at Jonghyun. The other watched him silently, still smiling slightly.

“Uh…” Kibum said, squirming nervously. “I t-thought you had a meeting.”

Jonghyun seemed to wake up from whatever thoughts he had and pressed the heels of his hands to his eyes.

“Yeah, it was postponed.” He sighed and looked at Kibum again.

“Oh…” He answered. Then he remembered why he was there and started fumbling in the pocket of his jacket. “Here, by the way.”

Jonghyun accepted the phone gratefully and put it down in front of him on the desk. “Thank you so much. I would take you out for a drink or meal to repay you but it is a bit hectic at the moment since my real secretary had to leave for a few days.”

Kibum shrugged and smiled. “It’s okay. You can come to the café instead.”

“Right.” Jonghyun laughed. “If Minho would allow it.”

Kibum laughed as well. “He would have to since I was the one who invited you.”

Jonghyun smiled widely at him. “Okay, it’s a date then!”

How he would love for it to be a real one.

They sat smiling stupidly at each other for a few seconds. Kibum could feel his heartbeat go crazy and the butterflies in his stomach became so wild that he had to put his hands to it.

Jonghyun let out a small laugh.

“You know, I’m a bit confused.” He said. “It seemed as if you didn’t like me all that much.”

Kibum's eyes widened and he had to bite his tongue to not spill out a ‘No, I love you’.

“Why?” He asked instead.

Jonghyun pulled up one corner of his mouth. “Well, Minho told me a bit about his new friend at work, which I assume is you, and somehow you seem a bit different than what he said. Is it because of that other person?”

Why was that so important?

Kibum closed his eyes for a moment. “You seem really interested in ‘that other person’.”

“Well,” Jonghyun said slowly, “wouldn’t you be curious about someone who apparently looks a lot like you?”

Kibum's eyes narrowed slightly. He somehow knew that wasn’t the whole truth.

“It’s also because you’re suspicious, isn’t it?” He asked, searching Jonghyun's eyes which had become serious.

The other grimaced slightly. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay.” Kibum sighed, feeling a little disappointed and wondering how he would make Jonghyun stop asking about himself. He swallowed, trying to brace himself for what he was going to say next. “Although I can’t really tell you about that person because he’s gone.”

And although he mentally prepared himself his heart hurt at saying that, because it was partly true. The Jonghyun he had gotten to know was gone. Instead there was another Jonghyun in front of him, the same but not entirely.

Tears started to gather in his eyes and he stood up, suddenly just wanting to get out. “I think I should go back. I can’t leave Noona alone in the café for too long.”

Jonghyun, who had gone quiet, looked at him in shock at the urgency in his voice. But Kibum ignored him and turned around without waiting for an answer. He was almost at the office door when there was a scramble behind him and his hand was grabbed. Kibum flinched slightly at the unexpected contact and turned with big eyes to see Jonghyun blush with a sheepish expression, standing just behind him.

“I-I’m sorry.” He mumbled and let go, looking at the floor. “I just needed to stop you and your hand was the first thing I managed to grab.”

Kibum swallowed and tried to breathe regularly, which was a hard thing to do since Jonghyun was standing less than a metre away. He had to gather all the self-control he could find to not just throw his arms around the other and kiss him.

“And I’m sorry if I upset you.” Jonghyun continued.

“You didn’t.” Kibum mumbled as well. “It’s just a bit hard to talk about.”

Jonghyun looked up into his eyes then and Kibum was so very, very close to just lean in and press their lips together. He had absolutely no idea how he managed to stay still. Jonghyun's eyes were as they had been a year ago, uncertain, strangely scared and confused. He could feel a blush creep up his face as he watched Jonghyun's tint as well. They were so close.

“Uh…” Jonghyun breathed. “I-I just remembered… we’re going to the paint-ball field this weekend… you could come if you want…”

Kibum nodded slowly.

“Okay.” He whispered not really sure if he would actually go.

Jonghyun continued to stare at him for a long time. Kibum couldn’t read his expression, he couldn’t even move.

Why was it so much harder to be with Jonghyun than with the others?

“This is strange.” Jonghyun murmured after a while of silence.

Kibum stopped breathing and his eyes filled with tears as he was thrown right back to the night he had confessed to Jonghyun.  He blinked several times to not let them spill over and Jonghyun watched him worriedly. He wanted to have his Jonghyun back so badly at that moment.

“Sorry.” He said again and backed away a little. “I did something again, didn’t I?”

Kibum shook his head, biting his lip and staring at the floor. The tears in his eyes refused to go away.

“I just…” Jonghyun cleared his throat. “There is something about you I can’t place.”

Please stop.

He couldn’t hold it back anymore and a sob escaped him.

“Ah.” Jonghyun said worriedly and Kibum felt a hand on his shoulder. It only made his tears flow faster. “I’m sorry. I-I don’t know… what should I do?”

Kibum shook his head again, unable to speak. He was thankful for the sudden knock on the door saving him from saying anything.

“Mr. Kim,” Kangin said on the other side, “you have to leave for the next meeting.”

“Give me a moment!” Jonghyun called before he grabbed both of Kibum's shoulders. “Kibum?”

Kibum took a deep, shaky breath to calm down and reassure the other. Still the tears wouldn’t go away.

“I’m okay.” He croaked although his voice sounded steadier than he thought it would. “I just remembered something…”

He sniffled and managed to stop his tears long enough to look at Jonghyun again, drying them and putting on a reassuring smile. Jonghyun couldn’t know what he did to him.

“I’m sorry.” Jonghyun said again.

Kibum managed a watery laugh. “You keep saying that.”

The other frowned. “I don’t know what else to do.”

Kangin called through the door again.

“You should go.” Kibum mumbled.

Jonghyun looked slightly reluctant. “Are you sure you’re okay? You can hit me if you want.”

Kibum laughed again. “I’m good.”

A small smile appeared on Jonghyun's lips and Kangin called again.

“I have to go.” He said and took a step back. The air between them was a little awkward. “Would you like a ride?”

Kibum swallowed, he was still very close to tears even though he put on a different face.

“It’s alright.”

“Mr. Kim!” Kangin shouted and both of them flinched.

“Okay!” Jonghyun shouted back. “Geez!”

They rode the elevator down together, no one speaking except for Kangin who kept on informing Jonghyun about his meeting. Kibum was secretly grateful for that. He was so close to tears during the small amount of time it took them to get down.

They said goodbye in the lobby as Jonghyun was going to the garage and Kibum was going out the main entrance. Nicole smiled at him as he passed and he managed one back at her before he all but bolted out the building.

He didn’t really know what happened after that or how he got back to the café. He just remembered that he was trying to keep back his tears the entire time without much success, making a few people on the street turn to look at him worriedly.

Once he was back at the café it was almost closing time. Sunny saw his red eyes and ordered him to sit down at one of the tables, disappearing into the kitchen to make something that would cheer him up. Kibum had the feeling that if she asked him any question now he would spill just about everything. He just wanted someone to know.

He was sitting hunched over and staring at the tabletop while tears silently ran down his cheeks, Sunny bustling about in the kitchen, when the bell over the door tingled. Somehow Kibum managed to gather himself together and dry his tears, standing up and turning to the customer with a forced smile.

“I’m sorry but we’re cl-”

His smile faltered and his jaw fell open.

Sekyung was standing right inside the door, seemingly studying Kibum's appearance. Then her face burst into a smile and she ran forward to slam into him, throwing her arms around his waist. Kibum thought he had passed out and was now dreaming. His brain couldn’t understand hat was happening.

“Kibum!” She exclaimed, her voice muffled against his chest. “I missed you!”

And that’s when Kibum realized that she wasn’t a fiction of his imagination. She was warm and living and there. Not inside a mirror. Kibum's already tearstained face became even wetter and he put his arms around her hesitantly.

“S-Sekyung?” He managed to get out and she squeezed his waist a little. “H-how do you know me?”

“I remember.” She whispered. “I know you, Kibum. I’ve known you ever since you came into my past life.”

Kibum thought his heart was going to burst.

What in the world was happening?

Sekyung pulled back slightly to look at him, drying his cheeks.

“I’m sorry.” She said with a devastated expression. “I’m so sorry.”

Kibum sobbed even harder. Sekyung hugged him again rubbing comforting circles on his back.

“You,” Kibum's voice broke, “you l-left me.”

“I know, Kibum, and I’m so sorry.” Sekyung whispered. He could feel her tears on his shirt. “But we’re here now. We came back.”

Kibum hiccupped. “I-I…”

He tried desperately to get out all he wanted to say but his mental system was breaking down. His mind and heart was being torn from all the emotions he was feeling and he was so confused that his head spun. Sekyung knew him, she remembered and that gave him so much hope in the others that he was about to burst.

“Let’s sit down.” Sekyung said and lead him back to his seat. “I’ll explain what I can.”

 

 

 

A/N: Sooo, it wasn't Lightwood, which a few of you feared :P But I gave you Sekyung!! ^_^ And no, she's not gonna be a in this story either :)

That's all for now, I think... Ummm... only, this chapter feels extremely unprocessed so I apologize for that! :(

AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!! SERIOUSLY!!! <3<3<3<3<3

Bye~!