Different worlds yet again

A Different Beginning

Kibum woke up to Jin nuzzling his face gently, feeling like in a haze. He had somehow managed to pull himself together enough to take a shower, brush his teeth and drag his feet to bed where he had collapsed, consciousness quickly replaced by dreams. Dreams that were so real Kibum didn’t know if he had been asleep at all. And again, it had all been about everyone he had once known.

He rolled to his side with a deep sigh and looked at the watch. Nine o’clock. He let out another heavy sigh and Jin meowed.

“Yeah I’m awake.” Kibum muttered and sat up grabbing his throbbing head. He touched the bump at the back gingerly, checking its condition before glaring at the cat. “You know it’s my day off, right?”

Jin ignored him and jumped down from the bed, seating himself in the middle of the open doorway and looking at Kibum expectantly.

“You want food, huh?” He said with half a smile and Jin answered with a loud ‘mrreow’ to which Kibum laughed and got out of bed.

However, that little distraction didn’t keep his mind from digging up all the things that had happened for long. After having given Jin his food Kibum sat down at the kitchen table, head in hands, and let out a small groan as everything replayed in his mind. He bit his lip when tears silently started running down his cheeks and pulled his knees up to his chest, trying to fill the void there.

He thought he had gotten over it, but now he was right back to how he had been when he woke up back home after everything. A mess, to put it simply. His brain was merciless. It kept pulling out images of Taemin smiling widely at him, hugging him, laughing. Of Jinki examining him, trying to reassure him. Of Minho and Kangin conversing with serious faces, looking up at him suspiciously, giving him uncertain pulls of the mouth. Of Sekyung, smiling, laughing, smirking, crying. And of Jonghyun. His touch still lingering on Kibum's skin, his lips still ghosting over Kibum's, his voice and breath still brushing his ear and neck.

Kibum broke down.

For a year he hadn’t allowed himself to think about those things. For a year he had pushed away every and any thought that had come his way concerning the people he had once known. A year of pain and hollowness. Yes, he had found new friends but however much he wanted to, they couldn’t quite fill the emptiness left in his chest.

Kibum sniffled and forced himself to calm down, feeling angry.

Why? Why was he still thinking about the past?

He sat up straight and dried his eyes with the back of his hand harshly, determinedly.

But they’re back.

Kibum took a deep, shaky breath and pulled out the pendant from underneath his shirt, staring at it.

He would begin again. He would get close to them once more. Somehow he now had a second chance right in front of him. A different beginning for a story, a life that should have never been.

He stood up hastily, starling Jin who had curled up on the chair across from him, and rushed out the door, down the stairs in the sudden need to do something only to stop short as he saw Minho and Mir busily attending to customers. Taking a few deep breaths to calm down, he sat down on the last step and put the pendant back to observed them quietly.

Mir was running around like a hen without a head, doing ten different things at the same time, which resulted in him getting nothing done at all. Minho on the other hand was handling every customer with a smile, conversing with them and showing genuine interest. Kibum found himself smiling too as he watched.

He would do this. He could do this.

He just needed to get the void in his chest to close and push the memories to the depths of his mind once again.

Minho suddenly looked up and noticed Kibum sitting on the stairs. He raised his eyebrows questioningly and Kibum let a small smile play on his lips, standing up. He felt a little lighter, a little more natural. He had let himself remember and he had then filed the memories away. Now he just needed to get used to them again.

“Isn’t it your day off?” Minho asked when Kibum was close enough.

“Kibum!” Mir exclaimed with a hopeful look before he had the chance to answer. “Are you here to help?”

Kibum laughed. “Not really, but I don’t have anything else to do so…”

“But… you’re free.” Minho frowned at him.

He shrugged, giving him another smile.

“Good morning, Hyung!” Taemin's cheery voice suddenly resounded in the café and the three employees turned, blinded by the sunshine smile they were met with. Kibum still had problems with being natural, but after his heart had gotten over the small shock and his mind had caught up he managed to give the boy a smile back.

“Taemin.” Minho sighed. “What are you doing here?”

He laughed. “You should have figured out that this would be my new regular place by now since you are here. And also because I like Kibum!”

Minho groaned while Kibum felt a pang of emotions. Still, he managed to continue smiling at Taemin, earning another sunshine grin.

“Well, at least there’ll only be two of you during the days.” Minho grumbled.

Taemin wrinkled his nose. “Poor Jonghyun-Hyung.”
Kibum opened his mouth to ask why Jonghyun couldn’t come during the days but was cut off by Mir.

“Do you all know each other?”

They looked at him like they had forgotten his presence and he frowned at them.

“Oh, yeah.” Minho said sheepishly. “This is one of my friends, Lee Taemin.”

Taemin examined Mir for a few moments, tilting his head.

“Hi.” He said then. “You’re strange.”

Minho and Kibum gaped at him, before bursting out in laughter while Mir spluttered something unintelligible.

“His name is Mir.” Minho chuckled.

Taemin shrugged and turned to Kibum while Mir dejectedly went to take an order.

“Hyung, what’s your number?” He asked cheerily.

Kibum blinked at him. “Uh… number?”

Taemin tilted his head, looking slightly confused. “Yeah, you know… phone number?”

Something clicked in Kibum's brain and he glanced at Minho.

“Oh…” He said uncertainly. “I… don’t have one…”

Taemin's eyes widened. “What? Why?”

Kibum bit his lip. He hadn’t been able to afford or bothered to save up for one because he’d never had a need for it. But he didn’t really know how to explain it without sounding pitiful.

“I accidentally pushed it into the sink.” Minho said suddenly and Kibum's head snapped in his direction, looking at him questioningly. The taller gave a crooked smile as an answer.

“Hm.” Taemin said thoughtfully staring at Kibum. Then he seemed to wake up from his thoughts and looked at the clock. “Anyway, my classes start soon so I have to leave. See you later!”

He waved at them and disappeared through the door. Kibum let out a sigh as it closed.

They were the same and yet… not the same at all…

Minho chuckled. “Sorry. He gets a bit hyper sometimes.”

“Don’t worry.” Kibum smiled.

“And,” Minho wrinkled his nose, “sorry about lying.”

Kibum widened his eyes a little. “Yeah, why did you?”

“Well, Taemin has a tendency to never know when to stop talking and asking uncomfortable questions so I thought I might save you from that.” He shrugged.

Kibum raised his eyebrows at him. “You know I don’t have one because I can’t afford it, right?”

Minho nodded, one corner of his mouth pulled up. “I kind of figured.”

“Minho! I need the toilet so would you please take over?” Mir called, making the girl who was standing first in line blush.

Minho looked up at him in surprise at the sudden loud confession of nature’s calling and laughed, immediately taking over the register. Mir rushed past a chuckling Kibum and disappeared into the kitchen.

“Lucky Sunny-Noona isn’t here.” Minho said over his shoulder to Kibum. “I saw enough last time to know she probably would have kicked his all the way to the other side of Seoul.”

Kibum laughed and went to help Minho finish the orders, shaking his head.

When the line finally had disappeared they checked the supplies for the afternoon rush. Suddenly there was a small chiming sound and Minho reached into his pocket to pull out his phone only to groan as he saw the display.

“Hyung is coming later.”

At hearing that information Kibum's heart sped up and his palms got slightly damp.

“Y-you mean, Jonghyun…” He squeaked and then reminded himself that he needed to use honorifics now. “Jonghyun-Hyung?”

Minho nodded with a grimace. Kibum couldn’t help the butterflies gathering in his stomach and the warmth in his chest.

He was going to see Jonghyun again.

He definitely was going to speak normally to him this time since he probably had made a mess of things the day before and been rude. He couldn’t leave Jonghyun with that impression of him.

“He’s most likely going to come here five minutes before closing time again.” Minho muttered pulling Kibum out of the different scenarios involving himself and Jonghyun going through his head.

He frowned. “Why?”

Minho glanced at him a little confusedly. “Well, he’s… you don’t know?”

Kibum knew a lot about him, but he was quite certain that wasn’t what Minho meant.

“Know what?” He wondered.

“Jonghyun-Hyung is famous.”

Kibum gaped at him, eyes as big as saucers. “Excuse me?”

“Yeah. He’s the young heir to the most successful company in this country, which he is managing on his own already.” Minho said with a shrug.

Kibum stared at him incredulously.

Was that something to just shrug off?

“B-but… he…” Kibum couldn’t find anything intelligent to say. He didn’t watch TV or read magazines so he had no idea about any celebrities at all. Maybe that had been a good thing.

“So he likes going places when they’re almost closed because there’d be less people there by then. Less fan girls.” Minho continued, smiling slightly.

Kibum managed to collect his thoughts and close his mouth.

“Shouldn’t he still be in university?” He managed to get out.

Minho shrugged again. “He doesn’t have to. He’s lived that kind of life since he was born, like me, so he already knows almost everything. And his parents don’t really care as long as he keeps the face of the company and does what they want him to do.”

“O-oh?” Kibum said uncertainly.

Never in a million years would he have thought that Jonghyun was a company president. But then again, he had only gotten to know the Jonghyun from the past and not the one in the present.

“And right now they’re-” Minho started but got cut off as Mir excited the kitchen.

“I’m back!” He announced cheerily.

Minho turned to him and laughed. “You took your time.”

“Well, when nature calls…”

The other two both put their hands up.

“No!” Kibum exclaimed hurriedly.

“We don’t need the information.” Minho assured.

Mir shrugged and laughed. “If you’re sure.”

“We’re sure.” Kibum said at once.

“Let’s get back to work.” Minho said hastily. “And Kibum you go back to doing what you want.”

Kibum nodded at him and went to sit on the stairs again, processing the information he had just acquired.

Jonghyun was… rich, to put it simply. He was someone from a completely different world once again. Someone Kibum shouldn’t even know, let alone be in love with.

He bit his lip.

Well, if he had already gotten him once… what would stop him from getting him again?

 

 

A/N: This is sooooo not well done -.- I'm sorry

But I decided to make the Q&A ^_^ So here! Shoot :) 

Anyway, no Jonghyun in this chapter :( I'm mean arent I?

And I'm tired too, it's lateeee~! (-.-)zzz

Alright, before I start rambling I just want to say: 100 subscribers O_O I got a HUNDRED subs! Never had that before!! Thanks to all of you! Thousands of hugs and kisses! <3 Because without you there's no story!

I love you, good night and bye! <3<3