Connections

A Different Beginning

Kibum was a tired out, nervous wrack the entire morning waiting for Sekyung to come back and he messed up the orders so badly that Minho ordered him to go clean the free tables of leftover pastries or coffee cups. He almost messed that up too.

He had only slept four hours that night, since his brain apparently though turning and twisting the possibilities of him and Jonghyun ever happening was much more important. So Kibum had been sitting in his bed, back against the wall and pillow tightly held in his arms, letting his thoughts run while stoking Jin’s fur absentmindedly.

Sekyung hadn’t forbidden him from being with Jonghyun. She had only warned him of what could happen if Kibum reestablished their relationship and let it grow. Simply put, he could make Jonghyun a mess instead of being one himself and he wasn’t entirely sure he wanted that. Not when Jonghyun finally was free.

But Sekyung had also said that it might not even be his decision at all. But then whose was it? Jonghyun's? The supposed force field around him? Fate’s?

Kibum's head started to hurt again and he groaned silently. There was also the possibility that nothing would happen, that Jonghyun would still be blissfully unaware of the past they shared and might or might not fall in love with Kibum again. He didn’t know. Jonghyun wasn’t Jonghyun anymore. But still he was somehow.

“Jin.” He had whispered, head spinning. “If I go crazy please make me snap out of it.”

The cat hadn’t as much as fluttered an eyelid. But Kibum had no time to think about being ignored by Jin when so much else was occupying his head.

He had fallen asleep sometime not long after and woken up to the ringing of his alarm clock. And then there he was, wracking havoc in the café, seeing everything through hazy, cried out eyes, getting a small heart attack every time the bell over the door tingled with his head in some unclear fog.

“Kibum.”

He jumped and gave a small shriek of fright only to turn around and see Sekyung frowning at him. He hadn’t heard the last few calls of the bell as his head had been a bit too occupied with Jonghyun.

“What’s wrong?” She asked. “I’ve been calling you for some time now.”

He hadn’t gone crazy after all.

Kibum let out a relieved breath and dropped the dishcloth he was holding onto the table, which he had been standing at, rubbing the surface, for about ten minutes he realized.

“What’s wrong is that you scared me.” He answered, unable to stop a wide smile from spreading across his face as she looked at him with an amused smile. “But I’m glad that you’re here.”

Sekyung punched him lightly on the shoulder, getting a pondering expression. “You know, it feels a little weird being able to touch you when all I remember is seeing you from behind glass.”

Kibum chuckled, punching her back lightly. “I could say the same.”

“Noona, you’re here!” Minho called with a smile from behind the counter, just having exited the kitchen with a plate of muffins.

“Hi, Minho!” She waved at him.

He hastily put the plate in its place and approached the other two.

“I guess I’ll introduce you two as well then.” Minho said, looking between them after Sekyung had given him a hug.

She grimaced at him. “I already know Kibum.”

“You do?” Minho widened his eyes. “How come you didn’t tell me?”

“Do you know how many Kibums there are out there?” She asked and rolled her eyes. “I had to make sure it was him before I go blabbing that I know someone who isn’t him. That’s the only reason I came here. To talk to Kibum.”

“Gee, thanks.” Minho said sulkily and shook his head, narrowing his eyes playfully, and Kibum chuckled. “Fine.”

“Hyung!” Taemin suddenly appeared behind Sekyung, sunshine smile on his face.

Kibum felt how his lips stretched into a big smile. He had missed the boy slightly, although they had seen each other not too long ago.

Minho sighed, turning to him. “What now?”

“Not you,” Taemin said with a mischievous glint to his eyes, “Kibum-Hyung.”

Minho frowned and glared at him, but Kibum could see that the taller was only feigning irritation. “Right. I’ll just go and sit in a corner then, since apparently I’m not wanted by anyone.”

Laughing slightly, Kibum managed to grab his arm before he was out of reach and pull him back, smiling at Minho. He smiled back at him.

“I really do have to go, though.” The taller said, nodding in the direction of the counter. “There’s a customer.”

Taemin pursed his lip as they watched Minho's back retreat.

“Do you think I a bit too much?” He asked worriedly. “I didn’t mean to make him sad or angry.”

“He’ll cope.” Sekyung answered, smiling slightly. “He knows we’re here for him too.”

“That’s right, we’ve known him for ages!” The boy smiled again and turned to Kibum with shining eyes. “Hyung, I wanted to tell you that we’re playing paintball this weekend! Please come!”

Kibum blinked at him, then glanced at Sekyung.

Jonghyun had already invited him and that, of course, meant that the he would be there as well. Kibum didn’t know if it would be okay to go if what Sekyung had told him really was true.

Apparently she saw exactly what he was thinking because she pulled him away to the side.

“Just a second Taemin,” she said over her shoulder, “I need to ask Kibum something.”

He looked at them confusedly but nodded and sat down, resting his chin on his fists and watching as the other two had a hushed conversation a few tables away.

“You have met Jonghyun before, right?” She murmured so lowly that only Kibum heard.

He nodded, feeling slightly worried.

“And Jonghyun didn’t seem like he recognized you or had trouble of some kind?”

Again, he nodded.

“Then come.” She smiled at him and he looked at her questioningly. “If he can handle that, you don’t have to be worried about coming along, especially when there are a few more people.”

“But…” Kibum whispered, remembering what had happened in Jonghyun's office. “He did say there was something about me he couldn’t place. Taemin felt familiar with me too.”

Sekyung tilted her head slightly, frowning in concentration.

“This used to be easier before.” She sighed. “All of us do feel something familiar with you, whether we know why or not. But I actually have no idea of what could happen or how Jonghyun would react, I just know that he’s going to be hurt. However, like I said before, I am not about to forbid you to see him.”

Kibum bit his lip. At that moment, all he wanted to do was meet Jonghyun again. Speak to him, touch him, hug him, kiss him. He didn’t know why all of that welled up inside his chest as if out of nowhere, but suddenly he didn’t want to give up on the other. Not until he absolutely had to.

“If… I notice that he is hurting…” Kibum sighed shakily, trying not to cry. “Can… can I see him until then?”

“Kibum, listen, you do exactly what you want. None of us have the right to tell you anything different, okay?” Sekyung said and grabbed his shoulders, shaking him slightly. “If you want to see him, see him. I don’t have my powers left so I don’t know what will happen. This thing about Jonghyun remembering or being hurt might not be true at all, I just have to let you know.”

Kibum nodded, swallowing down the lump in his throat.

“Then I’ll try and get him back.” He whispered.

Sekyung’s face lit up in a smile although her eyes had tears in them. “I think you should.”

They stood smiling at each other, getting a small sense of the beginning of fulfillment. Kibum, because he was going to fix the hole he had in his chest one way or another, and Sekyung, because she could see the sudden determination in Kibum's eyes.

“Hyung!” Taemin called when he noticed they had stopped talking. They turned to him. “Are you finished?”

Kibum smiled and went back to the boy, sitting down across from him while Sekyung went to Minho.

“I’m done.”

Taemin smiled at him widely and grabbed his hand, leaning forward to look into his eyes. “So are you coming? It’s this Saturday at three. Please?”

Kibum chuckled slightly, ignoring the nostalgia, and nodded. “I would love to.”

The boy gave him a full, toothy sunshine smile. Then he pulled out a small box from his schoolbag and handed it to Kibum who took it, frowning at him confusedly.

“For you.” Taemin said happily.

“What is this?” He asked.

“A phone!” The boy kindly explained and shone like the sun. “I forced Minho-Hyung to buy you a new one since he was the one who broke yours.”

Kibum blinked at him in astonishment before he swiveled around in his seat to stare at the taller. Minho must have felt his gaze, because he looked up from his conversation with Sekyung and met Kibum's eyes, raising his eyebrows questioningly. Kibum did the same and held up the box for him to see and Minho broke out in a grin, nodding. Shaking his head, Kibum sighed and turned back to Taemin.

“I can’t accept this.” He mumbled and pushed the box back to the boy. “It’s too much.”

Taemin pouted slightly at it. “But… I want to be able to reach you.”

Kibum felt a twinge in his chest and was about to say something when Minho appeared at the table.

“Just take it, Kibum.” He said and pressed the box into his hands. “Taemin, show him how to use it.”

Kibum opened his mouth to protest again as Taemin nodded eagerly. But Minho interrupted him.

“I won’t take it back and if you’re not going to accept it I’ll throw it away.” he stated firmly and turned, leaving Kibum to open and close his mouth while staring at Minho as he greeted yet another customer, Sekyung stepping aside.

“B-but, I can’t…” Kibum's voice trailed off and Taemin laughed.

“You’ll have to, Hyung.” He said and Kibum looked at him with big eyes. “We all want to keep in contact with you outside the café.”

He blinked slowly at the boy, biting his lip.

“Hyung,” Taemin sighed, “I know of your situation and that Minho didn’t break your phone. I’m not blind.”

“What…?”

“So I want to help you! And Minho wants to help you!” Taemin smiled. “Because we’re friends! And you feel more like a brother each time I meet you!”

Kibum stammered an unintelligible response, trying not to think of the past. Taemin shone at him and reached forward for the box, unpacking the phone and pulling Kibum into a lesson on how it worked without further ado. When Kibum's brain finally seemed to fully catch up with what was happening he was sitting with the phone in his hand, staring at the contact list where Taemin had put in all their numbers and blushing as his eyes landed upon the name ‘Kim Jonghyun’.

 

 

 

A/N: Once again I don't feel too happy about this, but... It'll have to do :( 

Kibum got a phone at least! >_< And he's gonna steal Jonghyun's heart again ^_^ If it's not already stolen... heheheee~

I had something else to tell you but I kinda forgot... :/  I hope you're okay with this chapter :)

Ayway, I love all of you!!! <3 Hugs and kisses!! <3

Bye~!