Reminders for the one left behind

A Different Beginning

A/N: Hi guys! I just want to share something with you that someone made for me! I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! ^_^ It really made me happy and I would be happier if you chek it out, too! Here! The person didn't want me to say who it was, but thank you! You know who you are! Unfortunately I already have a cover that I really like so I couldn't use this, but I want you to see it anyway! Sorry for having an author's note in the start of the chapter >_<

 

 

Kibum drummed his fingers against the counter and glanced at the clock, anxiously waiting. It was seven-thirty.

Only a little more.

Mir had just left since he lived a bit farther away, leaving the closing to Minho, and Kibum had volunteered to help, thus letting the other slip into the kitchen for a few minutes for some much needed food after an unusually hectic day.

A glance at the clock again. Seven-thirty-two.

He grumbled, annoyed with himself, and straightened up, looking around to find something else to preoccupy his hands with while he waited. But really, there wasn’t anything better to do except drum his fingers. Everything was already refilled, washed clean and dried. Kibum scowled at his surroundings and made a disgruntled noise. Then he sprawled his upper body over the counter with a sigh, not having taken a step from where he was standing, letting the cool surface on his cheek empty his mind as he stared absentmindedly at the side of the cash register. He didn’t want to think about Jonghyun but he couldn’t help the plans to take him back fill his mind. Then he got angry at his brain for thinking about it when he tried so hard not to.

He was in the middle of berating himself for his pitiful behavior when the bell over the door finally rang and he immediately shot up from his position, almost falling backwards from the speed of it. Jonghyun smiled at him politely, looking a little surprised from his sudden actions.

“Hello again.” He said hesitantly.

Kibum's throat suddenly became as dry as the desert and he had to swallow a few times.

“H-hi.” He croaked, sounding like a frog to his own ears, and blushed slightly.

Jonghyun approached the counter. “Can is still order something? And is Minho here?”

Kibum stared at him, not really understanding what he was saying since his mind was preoccupied with the light in Jonghyun's eyes, the movements of his lips and the blond bangs falling slightly in his eyes.

“Uh… eh…” He said unintelligently, trying to pull himself together and remember what Jonghyun had asked while his blush only deepened. “Uhm…”

“Hyung!” Minho was suddenly right beside Kibum and he thanked everything holy that the taller had interrupted his cave-man impersonation.

“Oh good, you’re still here.” Jonghyun said as Kibum turned around to hide his cheeks that were so hot he thought he would faint just because of his overheated face.

“Yeah.” Minho said, sounding like he smiled. “You want anything?”

“Mh, I think I’ll take juice or lemonade today. I got a little nauseous yesterday.” He said sheepishly.

The taller laughed. “I wonder why.”

Kibum couldn’t help smiling either, though the other two couldn’t see as he was now facing a corner willing the earth to open itself so he could sink to the depths of embarrassment hell. He was in the middle of begging God to just let him become invisible when his thoughts were interrupted.

“Kibum, would you like to join?”

He looked over his shoulder at Minho, now holding a tray with three glasses of lemonade. Then his gaze travelled to Jonghyun, who smiled at him encouragingly. He nodded and retreated from his corner to follow after the other two to the same window table as the day before, glancing up at Jonghyun and receiving another smile as he sat down in front of him.

“Don’t tell me you’re going to be here every night of the week are you?” Minho asked as all of them had made themselves comfortable. “You know I’m not here every day, right?”

Jonghyun grimaced at him and took a sip of his drink. “Who says I’m here to see you?”

Minho raised his eyebrows skeptically. “Who else do you know here?”

Kibum observed them quietly, his glass at his lips the entire time. Jonghyun made a disgruntled sound.

“Okay, point to you.” He muttered scowling at the table with a pout and Kibum couldn’t help smiling. It reminded him of when Jonghyun had thanked him for the first time. “But I’m alone at home. Everyone else is either working or occupied elsewhere. I feel so lonely.”

Kibum felt his heart skip a beat at the words ‘everyone else’. He had actually no idea what to expect but he hoped that at least Sekyung was included in that somehow.

What if Lightwood is out there?

Kibum's stomach jolted and chills ran down his spine. If Lightwood was back as well he didn’t know what would happen and he dreaded the answer. His hand unconsciously touched the pendant under his shirt. If Lightwood was back… he didn’t think he could go through that again.

A chiming sound brought him out of his thoughts and he saw Jonghyun bring his phone out of his pocket, frowning at it.

“Has something happened?” Minho asked, seeing Jonghyun's confused look.

“It’s my secretary,” He answered absentmindedly, putting his phone down on the table and looking at it skeptically, “she says there is some sort of emergency back at the office.”

Kibum blinked and put his glass down, only then remembering who Jonghyun was in this life.

“Well, aren’t you going.” Minho inquired when the other made no move to leave.

Jonghyun bit his lip, glancing down at the phone. “I… don’t really need to. It’s not that important.”

“But didn’t you say it was an emergency?” Kibum said, speaking for the first time since they had sat down.

Jonghyun looked up at him, once again in surprise, and smiled slightly. Then something passed his eyes and the smile disappeared.

“I said it’s not important and this isn’t really any of your business.”

Kibum felt a little hurt at the sudden defensive tone in Jonghyun's voice and the hostility in his eyes. Yet again, it was all so familiar.

Minho sighed. “Relax, Hyung. Kibum didn’t even know who you were until I told him so he’s not going to try and wriggle himself in with you. And he’s not some love-crazed, money-snatching girl stalking you either.”

Jonghyun looked at Minho incredulously for a few seconds before he burst out laughing. Minho chuckled while Kibum tried to regain his senses.

“You’re right. I’m sorry.” Jonghyun turned to Kibum who looked at him with big eyes. “I just don’t know who I can trust and I easily get a little defensive sometimes.”

Kibum smiled the best he could Jonghyun's laugh forever replaying in his mind.

He hadn’t heard it in so long.

“It’s okay. Although I can’t say I understand, it was the same when I first met-” He cut himself off abruptly, eyes growing bigger. He had almost said ‘when I first met you’.

Jonghyun tilted his head and Minho looked at him questioningly.

“When you first met…?” The taller asked curiously.

Kibum bit his lip and shook his head, opening his mouth to try and explain when Jonghyun cut him off.

“Ah!” He exclaimed in realization. “Could it be the person I remind you of?”

Kibum wrinkled his nose and nodded reluctantly.

Although… he wasn’t reminding him of another person. He was the very one he thought of.

However, there was no way he could tell Jonghyun that.

Jonghyun pursed his mouth in thought. “Do I really look like that person that much?”

Kibum stared at him, not really knowing what to say.

“W-well… your hair is different…” He stammered, silently praying that neither of the other two would inquire more. But he could see, with a sinking heart, their curiosity growing.

Fortunately, luck apparently decided to be on his side as there was a sudden loud honk outside the café. All three started and looked out the window to be met by the sight of a fancy, shiny, black car, which made Jonghyun groan.

“They’re here to pick me up.” He muttered sullenly. “I guess I really have to go.”

He stood up with a sigh and glared out the window.

“I’m not here tomorrow, Hyung.” Minho said as the other made his way to the door. “Just for your information.”

Jonghyun smiled. “Well, I can’t come anyway. I have meetings all day. Bye!”

Then he waved at them and let the door fall shut behind him. Kibum stared at it, seeing the car accelerate down the almost empty street through the glass.

Minho stood up and stretched after a while of silence. “I can wash this up if you want to close the register.”

Kibum nodded, still staring out the door dazedly. He hadn’t spoken to Jonghyun normally this time either. Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder and flinched, looking up at Minho who smiled down at him tentatively.

“Is it uncomfortable for you?” He asked.

Kibum blinked at him uncomprehendingly.

“When Jonghyun-Hyung comes, I mean.” Minho clarified. “Does he remind you about that other person too much?”

Kibum's eyes widened.

“I…” His voice broke slightly and he swallowed. “No, why?”

Minho shrugged. “Just… You seemed so out of it when he was here, there was even a pained expression on your face for a second.”

“Oh.” Kibum said slowly. “No, it’s alright.”

Minho searched his face for a moment before he turned to the table and started picking up the glasses.

“If you’re sure then- That idiot forgot his phone!” He exclaimed and picked it up. Then he sighed glaring at it. “I have no chance to give it to him tomorrow.”

Kibum cleared his throat, relieved at the change of topic. “You could leave it here behind the counter and he could come pick it up if he needs it.”

Minho looked up at him, relief on his face as well but for a whole different reason.

“That’d be great.”

Kibum smiled and stood up too, helping the other clear the table.

They were silent for the remainder of the evening and only spoke when Minho was leaving, just to exchange goodbyes. Then, after Kibum had locked the door to the café, he heavily made his way up the stairs to his apartment. Jin greeted him with a flick of his tail from his position on the sofa and Kibum didn’t give him any more attention himself. Instead he steered his steps towards the bedroom and flopped down on his bed, face first. He heard Jin silently trip over and the bed dipped ever so slightly as the cat jumped up to curl into a ball beside Kibum's pillow. He turned his head towards the cat and sighed.

“I want Jonghyun.” He muttered to him.

Jin acknowledged it by twitching his ears. Kibum sighed again and closed his eyes, sleep creeping over him.

“I want Jonghyun.” He whispered.

 

 

 

A/N: So another chapter done... where will this lead? @_@ I have no idea >_<

Anyway, I think I have a one-shot for 'Beautiful People' if I can manage to get it done soon ^_^

So yeah, still kinda surprised by over a hundred subs O_O Thanks to all of you! I love you! <3

And well, I hope you enjoyed! :D

Bye~!