Somehow

A Different Beginning

Kibum didn’t go back home until later that night, after having been woken up by the caretaker of the cemetery and wandering aimlessly through town, avoiding places he knew and venturing out to parts he had never been to, escaping the problems he would have to face once he got back.

But it wasn’t as dark and quiet as he had expected it to be in the café when he returned as he could still see the lights shining out into the empty, lightless café through the windows in the kitchen doors. When he stepped inside, the bell above the door tingling, a figure burst through the door and threw itself at Kibum, sobbing loudly. It took him a while to realize it was Sekyung since he had only seen her silhouette as she was lit up from behind.

“Thank God!” She sniffled. “I t-thought… t-that you…”

Kibum bit his lip and hugged her, feeling the guilt hit him like a punch in the stomach.

“I’m sorry.” He mumbled.

“Kibum!”

He looked up to be met by three other people bursting through the doors, hurrying to his side. His eyes widened slightly when he could see them properly in the dark café. Sunny and Mir he could have expected, but he couldn’t understand why Minho would still be there after their last conversation.

Where have you been?” Sunny demanded sternly.

“I’m sorry.” Kibum mumbled again. “I messed up the schedule and workload.”

“I don’t care about work, Kibum!” Her voice rose slightly. “Do you have any idea of what I have been imagining the whole day?!”

Sekyung hiccupped and Kibum rubbed her back gently, avoiding the other’s eyes.

“I’m sorry.”

“I was just about to call the police.” Mir added sounding relieved.

“We should have called them hours ago!” Sunny exploded.

Sekyung’s tears were starting to soak through his shirt and Kibum sighed. He knew he shouldn’t have been selfish and just done what he wanted. But the pain and emptiness he had felt when he woke up was so unbearable that he had to do something.

“Can we all just sit down and talk calmly?” He asked in a low voice, chancing a glance at Sunny.

If Sunny’s eyes had the power to shoot lightning bolts Kibum would have already been a burnt crisp. She crossed her arms and stomped over to a table, flinging herself down on a chair angrily.

“Minho, go turn the lights on.” She barked out. “The rest of you, sit!”

None of them dared move even a single nanometer out of given orders as they followed her instructions. Kibum sat down in the chair opposite Sunny’s with Sekyung right beside him, and this time it was her turn to refuse letting go of his arm. Mir took the seat beside Sunny and Minho sat down with both pairs on either side of him.

It took a moment for Sunny to speak as she looked like she was composing herself to not just blow her top and Kibum fidgeted nervously, glancing at her every now and then.

“Can you explain to me what made you feel the need to be a runaway child?” She asked in a threateningly calm voice, making everyone around the table tense up.

“Uh…” Kibum started and his voice cracked. He cleared his throat and tried again. “I-I just… needed to be alone and it was really early i-in the morning so…”

Sunny’s eyes narrowed dangerously and he swallowed.

How he wished he could tell her everything.

“Have you ever heard of leaving a note?” She growled. “Or this new invention called cellphone?”

Kibum bit his lip and looked down at the floor. “I f-forgot to take it with me.”

Sunny continued to glare at him through narrowed eyes and Kibum shrank back slightly, feeling her gaze bore into the top of his head. Then she let out a deep sigh and unfolded her arms.

“Next time I want you to tell me if you need a day off to deal with your problems.” She said in a gentle tone. “You don’t have to tell me everything if you don’t want to but I don’t want to spend an entire day thinking you’re laying dead somewhere in a ditch.”

Kibum nodded, still not able to raise his head. Sunny stood up and rounded the table to pull him into a hug, unintentionally forcing Sekyung to let go of his arm for a moment.

“I’m glad you’re alright.” She mumbled into his clothes.

Kibum put his arms around her hesitantly and she gave him a squeeze before letting go, turning to Mir as Sekyung grabbed his hand.

“You have school tomorrow, so go home.” She ordered. “I only let you stay this long because you were worried.”

Mir nodded and stood up, giving Kibum a pat on the back and a smile before waving goodbye.

“You two can leave as well.” Sunny turned to Sekyung and Minho. “I’m sure you have school tomorrow too. I’ll close the café.”

“I want to stay.” Sekyung mumbled and grabbed Kibum's hand, blinking tiredly.

Sunny nodded at her, a soft, warm smile one her lips.

“I’m going to stay as well.” Minho said and everyone looked at him. It was the first time he had spoken since Kibum had returned. He looked intently at Kibum and Sekyung. “I want to talk to you two.”

They glanced worriedly at each other before nodding at the taller and standing up. They couldn’t really refuse. Sunny watched them as they made their way to the stairs with an uneasy expression on her face and Kibum turned around to give her what he hoped looked somewhat like a smile. Then the trio made their way up the stairs and to Kibum's apartment.

“Uh… do you want anything?” He asked nervously as they entered the hall, trying to put off the conversation Minho wanted to have with him.

He could see the taller's annoyance in the way he moved as he took off his shoes and he didn’t really want to deal with it at the moment since the feeling from the morning was still very present in his chest.

“I have coffee and…” His voice died out as Minho looked at him.

“Let’s sit down first.” Sekyung mumbled, still clutching Kibum's hand tightly and avoiding eye contact with Minho.

He nodded, not looking in Minho’s eyes either, and let himself be pulled to the kitchen where they sat down around the table.

“First of all,” Minho said in a dangerously low voice once they all were seated, “Taemin is freaking out about your little disappearing act, as almost everyone else was, so I think you owe him a phone call. He was already freaking out when we left yesterday.”

Kibum bit his lip and nodded, staring at the table out of guilt.

“Second, what the hell are you up to?”

Kibum felt Sekyung freeze slightly and threw a questioning glance at her, but she had her full attention on Minho now.

“W-what do you mean?” He mumbled, squirming uncomfortably. His brain was all sluggish.

“Something weird is going on.” Minho said and Kibum tensed up as well. “You two seem like you’re in on something that has an awful lot to do with Jonghyun-Hyung, if not all of us.”

Kibum and Sekyung just sat quietly, not finding any reasonable explanation except the truth which Minho surely wouldn’t believe.

“Whatever,” he scoffed when he realized they wouldn’t speak, “I told Jonghyun to keep away, anyway. And just so you know, he feels stupid for actually thinking you were any different than those other people.”

Kibum's head snapped up to glare at Minho and the other returned the gesture. Kibum had to look away after a while to not let Minho see how broken he actually felt. He was starting to feel so helpless that he didn’t know what to do with himself. He just wanted to run away, never have to deal with any problems ever again and delete all his memories. That seemed like the only way he would be able to finally live in peace.

“Kibum is not like that!” Sekyung said loudly. “Who gave you the right to speak of him in that way?!”

Minho's eyes narrowed as he looked at her. “Then tell me what you two are up to! If it’s not some scheme to use Jonghyun, then what is it?!”

“I’m trying to make Kibum happy!” Sekyung yelled. “He deserves it more than anyone and you have no right to take that away from him!”

“I’m not taking away anything!” Minho shouted back. “I’m protecting my best friend, like I should!”

“And I’m protecting my best friend like I should!” She stood up, balling up her fists and her cheeks reddened in anger.

“From what?! From being exposed as a fraud?!” Minho cried.

Sekyung was so angry that she was shaking and couldn’t even find the words. Kibum tugged her hand gently to make her sit and calm down but Minho had stood up as well, glaring at both of them.

“It might be a good thing that his parents finally decided on-”

“WHAT USE IS IT BRINGING THAT UP?!”

Kibum jumped at Sekyung’s shrill voice. He had never seen her as furious as she was at that moment and he couldn’t understand why. However, although he was curious about what Minho was referring to, he got to his feet as fast as he could and held up his hands.

This needed to stop.

“Stop it!” He shouted, cutting Minho's response off. “I don’t want you to fight because of me!”

They looked at him like they had forgotten he was there and he sighed.

“Please?” He begged. “I know you’re good friends and I know this would have never happened if I hadn’t been reckless.”
They continued to watch him silently and he bit his lip.

“I can’t think of anything else to say except that I’m sorry,” he looked at Minho, “but I’m not a fraud and I never wanted to hurt Jonghyun I just…”

His voice broke and he had to sit down again. Nausea was washing over him at the very thought of what could happen to Jonghyun because of him and he had to bite the inside of his mouth to not throw up or cry, he didn’t know which.

The kitchen continued to be quiet. Then Sekyung put a hand on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry too.” She said in a quivering voice. “This is all my fault, if only I was stronger…”

“It isn’t, Sekyung.” Kibum muttered. “Just please… stop fighting. I won’t bother Jonghyun again and I won’t leave without warning.”

His voice broke slightly again at the end and he closed his eyes to keep tears back. But his eyes shot open again as he suddenly felt a bigger hand gently rub his arm in comfort and he stared at Minho who was crouching down in front of him, wearing a guilty expression.

“I’m sorry.” He murmured. “But I seriously don’t know what to do. I don’t want anyone to get hurt.”

Kibum bit his lip. “Me neither. That’s why I’m cutting it off with Jonghyun.”

Minho nodded and then he sighed. “I was really worried about you too, so don’t think I’m angry just because of Jonghyun, okay?”

To Kibum's astonishment, he felt the corners of his lips tug, even though his whole body felt like it would crumble to pieces any minute, and he nodded.

“Okay.” He mumbled.

Minho smiled slightly as well.

“I need to go.” He stood up.

Kibum and Sekyung followed him to the door where he bid them a quiet good night and left.

“Can I stay over?” Sekyung asked as they stood looking at the shut door. “I really feel like you’ll do something you shouldn’t if I don’t.”

Kibum took a deep breath and blew it out slowly. “Yeah, of course. But I promise that I won’t commit suicide or anything.”

She gave a weak smile. “I really do consider you as my best friend. Don’t ever forget that I’ll always be by your side.”

Kibum managed a small smile at her as well. “I consider you as my best friend, too.”

Then he put an arm around her shoulders and they went to the living room.

He'd get through this somehow…

 

 

A/N: I have nothing to say... :/ And my cat is demanding my attention... so I'm gonna go play with her now...

I hope you liked this!

Love to you all! <3

Bye~!