Wait and see

A Different Beginning

Kibum was startled out of his light slumber as the bus hit a bump and he was jostled not so nicely. He glanced around at the other passengers quickly before he closed them again and pressed his forehead against the cool surface of the bus window, trying to swallow down a few tears.

He ha dreamt about them again. Kibum couldn’t bring himself to think their names. But it didn’t matter, because although however much he forbid himself to say or think their names, the dreams kept on haunting him. And the worst part was that the dreams weren’t even bad. They were colorful and vivid and living.

Kibum bit his lip and frowned, willing himself not to cry.

He had tried forgetting and he had tried accepting it as merely a dream, even though he could still clearly feel the heavy weight of the crystal pendant under his shirt. He couldn’t remember how he had managed to get home after everything last year but the next time he woke up he was laying in his own bed, Jin right beside his pillow. The only thing that pointed to that everything hadn’t been a dream was that he had lost all of his jobs and was thrown out of his apartment three days later for not paying the rent. Maybe he had been in a coma.

Kibum sighed and got up, almost at his stop and quickly made his way down the street, through the throng of people in the afternoon rush.

He had been lucky, though.

Kibum plastered on a smile as he arrived at the small, cozy café in which he now worked, after having made his delivery. It was the most home warming place he had ever been in with its mismatched chairs and tables, warm red tapestry, shelves screwed to the wall holding worn books up and brown wooden checkout desk. He was glad that he had found it, or it had found him.

“Kibum!” A light brown haired man wearing a black apron with the name ‘Edelweiss’ embroidered in red on the chest called from behind the desk, his face cracking up in a wide smile. “Did the delivery go well?”

Kibum nodded and his smile became more natural as he came closer to the other. His name was Mir and he never failed to make Kibum feel better. A folded tabloid magazine hit him from behind on the head and Mir turned around with a pout, revealing a shorter, blond woman. She beckoned to both of them and led the way into the small kitchen where they made food for their guests with Kibum and Mir following.

“Why is the first thing you result to violence?” He asked sullenly as they entered, outside their customers hearing range.

“Because nothing gets through to you anyway!” She said, but had a small glint to her brown eyes. “How many times have I told you not to shout across the café when there’re guests here?”

“Sunny-Noona!” Mir complained.

She crossed her arms, raising her eyebrows at him daringly. Mir looked at her for a few seconds, apparently contemplating on continuing his complaining or letting it go.

“You shouldn’t even get to be called sunny. There’s nothing sunny about you, all you do is nag at me.” He muttered, scowling at the tiled floor and Sunny’s eyes flared up.

Kibum smiled at both of them as they bickered. He never thought he would be able to make friends again after the heartbreak he had been through, but here they were. Right in front of him. Sunny owned the café and Mir was an employee like Kibum. They almost reminded him of…

No! You’re not going there!

Kibum swallowed hard as Sunny turned to him.

“Your shift has ended so you can go and do whatever you feel like.” She said and smiled gently at him.

Kibum grimaced. “It’s not like I have anywhere else to go, I literally live here.”

There was a small, apartment like room on top of the coffee shop where Kibum now stayed after having been kicked out of his old apartment. Sunny initially wanted it to be a coffee room for the staff but when she found Kibum on the streets with a cat and a suitcase she had practically forced him to live there in exchange for his employment in the café.

“You can stay here and help me with the new employee!” Mir said happily, ducking away from another smack.

Sunny sighed and looked at Kibum.

“Do you feel like it? I don’t really trust this guy.” She poked Mir in his waist and he complained loudly.

Kibum smiled at her. He would never refuse a way to help her as she was probably the very reason he had roof over his head and food in his belly at the moment. He didn’t really feel like retreating to his room and think about unnecessary things either. He would definitely feel better if he was occupied with something else.

“Sure.”

Sunny nodded at him and looked at the clock.

“He should be here soon. Both of you can clean up a little behind the desk. It looks like a bomb landed there.” She sent Mir a meaning glare.

He wrinkled his nose. “And I’m to blame?”

“Who else has been standing behind the register the whole day? Kibum's been out making company deliveries the entire time we’ve been open and I’ve been out on business.”

Kibum chuckled at Mir’s crestfallen expression.

“I’ll clean.” He volunteered and Mir shone like the sun at him.

Sunny looked between them for a few seconds before she held her hands up in defeat. “Fine! Do what you want! But next time Mir’s cleaning every corner of the café.”

Kibum laughed and pushed a complaining Mir in front of him back to the desk, where he let him rush to tend to a customer while he himself started putting everything in it’s right place. The milk in the fridge, rinsing out the foaming jug, filling up on sandwiches and pastries and polishing the coffee machine as well as the desk. Kibum's mind felt blissfully blank as he concentrated every grey cell in his brain to the task at hand.

“And here we have our other employees.” He suddenly heard Sunny say after ten minutes as she opened the door to the kitchen and he straightened from his bent position of scrubbing the inside of the displaying case.

Mir rushed in front of him, eager to welcome the new guy and Kibum tilted his head slightly too se the man behind Mir’s head.

He almost fainted.

The new employee was tall, had big eyes, dark hair and when he spoke it was in a deep voice.

“Minho.” Kibum breathed, feeling his throat clam up and his heart fly away.

The other three looked at him in surprise.

“Do you know him?” Mir asked, a small dent on his forehead.

Kibum was about to answer ‘yes’ when he saw Minho examining him with curiosity, no spark of recognition in his eyes. He cleared his throat trying his best to push back the tears when he realized that Minho didn’t remember him and shook his head.

“I might have mentioned his name.” Sunny said with a thoughtful frown.

“Yeah,” Kibum smiled faintly, deciding that would be the easiest explanation, “you let it slip earlier.”

She smiled at him. “Anyway, this is Minho. He’s going to be one of us starting from today. He is the same age as you, too, so I’ll let you take care of him from now on, show him how things are done here, you know.”

She gave Mir a burning look and he grimaced at her.

“Do you understand?”

Kibum and Mir nodded obediently and each offered their hand in turn to introduce themselves, although Kibum felt like running away from the pain that slowly grew in his chest. Sunny nodded contentedly and turned back to the kitchen, leaving the three young men alone.

Kibum forced himself to look normal, but he just couldn’t cope with speaking to Minho yet and let all the teaching to Mir who happily chirped away about how everything worked while Kibum once again busied himself with putting something in order.

He had tried. He had really tried to forget them and now one of them was in his life again, without even remembering him. And it hurt. Kibum's chest was being painfully twisted and somehow he thought everything was a dream or hallucination, because all of them had disappeared. They had gone and they shouldn’t be back. But now they were and he felt both afraid and hopeful.

If Minho was there, who else would be? Could…

Kibum became furious when he caught himself hoping for the others to appear, that they somehow would be connected to Minho and come to him one after the other. He slammed the top of the desk out of frustration with himself, making Mir and Minho, who were going through the basics of the coffee machine, jump and look at him questioningly.

“Sorry.” He apologized robotically, keeping his eyes trained on the shorter, light brown haired male. “I thought there was a fly.”

Mir gave him a strange look but accepted his explanation and turned back to Minho. Kibum sighed and closed his eyes for a moment, trying to calm down his spinning head and his speeding heart, but got interrupted by a customer.

It took him twice as long to punch in the order and open the register to put the money in. He silently cursed himself and glared at the numbers on the register screen, blaming them for not making his head spin any less.

When Kibum looked up the second time, having kept his eyes on the register to not become a nonsensical mess every time he saw the taller man (which had happened one to many times within the short span of time Minho had been there), he noted that it was closing time. With a jolt of his stomach he also noted that he was all alone with none other than Minho trying to make a figure with the milk foam and chocolate on a cup of latte. He swallowed hard and cleared his throat silently.

“Um…” He said hesitantly and the other looked up at him with interest, putting the jug of foam down carefully. “We’re closing soon so… where’s Mir?”

“Oh.” Minho said. “I think he went to grab a bite to eat or something like that.”

Kibum raised an eyebrow and Minho shrugged.

“Well, you could literally hear his stomach screaming, so I don’t blame him.”

Kibum nodded and took a deep breath that he hoped would go unnoticed by the other. To his relief Minho didn’t give any sign of acknowledging it and Kibum dared to continue on.

“I guess I’ll have to teach you the closing procedure, then?” He said, trying to ignore the throbbing in his chest and the need to ask Minho if he really didn’t remember anything. Instead he forced himself to smile.

Minho gave him a small smile as well and Kibum felt like breaking down right then and there.

“Sure.”

They finished up quite fast as Kibum had already done most of the cleaning, the only thing left was filling up on milk, coffee beans and tea. Minho offered to go get them and Kibum turned to close the register while waiting for him to return so that he could show him where everything should be before cleaning all the tables. After a few minutes too long of absence from the tall guy he decided to go see if he was alright, a slight fear of not finding him rising from the pit of his stomach.

Everything could just be a hallucination. He might’ve finally gone mad.

Kibum quickened his steps, but came to an abrupt halt outside the door to the pantry, relief spreading through his chest at hearing Minho's voice flowing out the open door.

“But Hyung…” He said sounding slightly exasperated. “No, please don’t… you can’t come! We’re closed right now!”

Kibum realized that he was talking on the phone to someone and peeked inside curiously. Minho was facing the shelf with honey and sugar furthest into the pantry, looking flustered which obviously was because of the person he was talking to.

“Hyung!” He complained again. “Are you trying to get me fired on my first day here?!... I don’t care! Come tomorrow!”

Kibum cleared his throat lightly to get Minho's attention, pointing to the shelves with a questioningly rise of his eyebrow. Minho glanced at him and smiled apologetically.

“I have to go, Hyung.” He said hastily. “Don’t you dare come until we open tomorrow! Bye!”

He hung up quickly and Kibum couldn’t keep from chuckling. Minho looked at him with an amused expression.

“Sorry, that was my friend.” He explained as they started filling their hands with the stuff they needed. “He wanted to see my workplace. I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t be on the phone when I’m working.”

Kibum shook his head. “It’s okay. Mir’s on the phone all the time. At least you took the call after closing time.”

Minho smiled at him seemingly relieved and they made their way back. As they refilled the boxes and drawers with necessary provisions for the next day Kibum thought that maybe, just maybe he could get another chance at making friends with Minho. Even though it probably would hurt at times, as he would remind him of the others, it felt better than not having any of them at all and to just see them in his dreams. And then one day, although it was one in a million chance, Minho would remember him. Then Kibum would know what had happened to everyone, if they had been happy wherever they had went and if they all had gotten another chance like he himself had.

All you can do is wait and see.

 

 

 

 

A/N: So here's the first chapter! :D I don't really know how good it is, though ;/ I might have thrown you in right at the start of the happenings, but I just didn't feel like writing about how Kibum was mourning and everything so I gave you Minho at least! ^_^ And can anyone guess who his Hyung is? :P

Talking about Hyungs, in this story they will use things like Hyung, Noona, Oppa, Unnie etc. as they're back into the "real" world. I didn't have them say that in Beutiful People as I felt it didn't quite fit there.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll manage a second chapter within this week which means you'll have to wait for it a bit as I'm going traveling again this Sunday and will be gone for about ten days... :(

Also, thanks to all subscribers and commenters! I've never had that much on just the foreword, but then again I guess I kind of left the most of you hanging ;)

So, I hope you liked this first chapter! ^_^ And, well, thanks to all of you for reading and everything you've said about Beutiful People :) It has made me extremely happy! <3

And thus this concludes the first chapter leading towards Kibum's happiness! :P

Bye~!