Chapter 55

I'd Do Anything

“I guess my story is coming to its end soon.” Taemin looked into the camera on his pillow from where he was laying down, serious for one of the first times in the months he was making the videos. “It’s September fourteenth today and it marks the first day of being completely stuck in the dorm. I’m not supposed to go out much anymore, according to the doctor. And I’m not supposed to move too much or watch scary or funny things anymore. I have to keep my heart rate as normal as possible. The hospital even gave me a bracelet to tell me everything.” He brought his wrist up to the lens, showing the blinking display that told his every heartbeat. “They said it would be best if I just stayed in a bed and not move too much, so the hyungs are setting up something in the living room so that it will be easy to watch TV and stuff without me having to move. I don’t even understand them anymore.”

A huge yawn escaped him and he gave a sleepy smile to the camera. “I’m going to sleep for a while now. Bye bye.” He waved at the camera and blew a kiss before turning it off. Not even having the strength to move it to the table by his bed, he only pushed it off the pillow. In seconds, he was asleep.


Taemin flinched as he wiped his nose and pulled back to see a red hand of blood. Before he could say anything though, Minho already had a tissue cleaning his face and then wiped his hand clean as well. “Thanks hyung.”

The smile was weak, but Minho returned it with a full one as he patted the boy’s head. “Not a problem Minnie. Just go back to sleep, okay?” There was only a lazy nod before his eyes closed and it was only minutes later that the boy’s breathing evened out. The bracelet on his wrist flashed a number at him and Minho only glanced at it to make sure it was safe before standing.

The other three on the couch looked at the boy sleeping on the mattress on the floor of the living room. They’d moved it there and made it where Taemin stayed most of the time so that it was easiest for all of them to watch over him. From there, he had practically anything he could have wanted in his reach, but he had only really slept for days. Doing anything tired him out enough to make him sleep for hours, but it wasn’t exactly how any of them expected to spend Taemin’s last days.

Because that was all they did—sit there and watch him all day. Sure, some of them would have schedules, but they made sure it wasn’t all four at once. Just so that there was always someone there.

Because Taemin couldn’t be alone then. They wouldn’t let him be.


“Today’s the eighteenth, right?” Jonghyun jumped so high the water in his cup splashed out onto him and there was a little laugh at that. “Sorry hyung.”

“You’re awake?” He looked at Taemin, sitting up on the mattress on the floor and playing with the remote to the TV. “Are you okay?”

“I’m a little tired… But I can’t go back to sleep. It’s the eighteenth, right?”

“Y-yeah.” Instead of returning to the bedroom he was now sharing with Minho, he sat on the couch to be by Taemin. “Why?”

“It’s noona’s birthday. We should call her later. I wish I could see her…” He was staring at the silent TV but not watching whatever was on, just enjoying the colors flashing by. “Can we celebrate Key-hyung’s birthday today? I feel like it’s a good day…”

Jonghyun watched the boy with wide eyes, not really believing it. He was acted as if he hadn’t just slept for almost four days solid. How did Jinki know? He and Key planned for Amber to come over and celebrate the birthdays today… “Sure Taemin. Amber is coming over later anyways.”

“She is?” His eyes lit up as he turned to look at the elder. The bracelet on his wrist beeped and he glared down at it.

“Calm down there small one. Yes, she is. Now just relax. I’m going to get dressed, okay?”


When Amber came, she didn’t even look at the bed strangely, only sat right down on it with Taemin when he asked her to. “Happy birthday noona! You’re 21 now!” He had been sitting up and leaning on the couch, but with her there, he had his head in her lap now as he laid down. “Aren’t you excited?”

“Apparently not as excited as you. It’s like it is your birthday.” She rubbed the top of his head and smiled down at him, one he mirrored back up at her. “But don’t forget about your hyung. It’s his birthday in a few days too.”

“But I’ll say it to him then!”

“Are you guys going to continue bickering or do you want to eat?” Key nodded to the bags of food in his hands, getting not only the attention of the two, but everyone. After putting the bags down, he looked around. “Are you just going to sit there, or are you going to eat?”

The premade meals were handed around, Taemin getting the little kid’s one complete with toy and all. And while they had all laughed at the small size of it, he hadn’t even come close to finishing. After only a few bites, he pushed the food away, watching the others eat instead. “Aren’t you going to eat Taemin?”

He shook his head to Jinki and would have left it at that if the elder didn’t give him a look telling him to explain. “I’m not really hungry and I want to be able to have some cake…”

“Who said there was cake?” Key narrowed his eyes at the boy, but he immediately pointed a bony finger at Jonghyun.

“Hyung did when we were talking this morning! He asked me what type he should get.”

Three glares turned to Jonghyun while Amber laughed and Taemin pouted. Maybe this will be a good birthday after all.