Chapter 37

I'd Do Anything

Extra chapter for reaching 50 subscribers? Why not! Enjoy and thank you all so much!


"You know what I don't get?" Minho looked around the breakfast table at his hyungs, keeping quiet to not wake a sleeping Taemin in the living room. "Kai has claimed to be Taemin's best friend for years, but besides that first party and the time in the dressing room, I haven't even seen them talk since Taemin was sick."

While Jinki and Key nodded along, Jonghyun simply looked down at his plate and poked at the food on there, not hungry any longer. "He... I talked to him."

"When?" Key's head snapped to face him, followed shortly after by the others.

"Not long after the dressing room incident." He placed his fork down and just grabbed his cup, playing with that in his hands. "It's complicated."

"It can't be too complicated to see your really sick 'best' friend."

"You don't understand, Key." Never before had he really ever spoken against the diva, but then was a time for firsts and he did. "I get where he is coming from too... Isn't it hard for any of you to see Taemin like this?" There were half-hesitant nods around the table. "We have seen him every day, but none of us noticed him being sick. Kai's been busy preparing things with his whole group, so he didn't get to see Taemin often. And then, when he finally does, Taemin tells him he's feeling sick and asks if he should go to a doctor. Kai says no..."

"And Taemin ends up with a death sentence from it." Jinki completed it, grasping the idea Jonghyun was putting down.

"Exactly. How would you feel if you were that friend?" There weren't any responses from around the table, but he knew they were all thinking the same thing. "You'd feel horrible, right? Like it was your fault. Like everything could have been prevented if you had said something different." A few half-nods came and he gave a small smile. "That's how he feels. But Kai's taken it to a new level."

"He thinks he shouldn't be allowed to see Taemin anymore..."

"Seriously hyung, can you read my mind or something?" Jonghyun looked at Jinki, a playful smile on his lips and a twinkle in his eyes. "But yeah, exactly. I even talked to his other members to try and see why he wasn't coming, but they said he was taking it all really hard. That's why I asked if he could speak in the end of the concert."

"So he isn't being like his parents then?" Minho got a head-shake in response. "Is he ever going to see Taemin?"

"About that..."

"What have you done, dino?" Key turned an umma-like glare on him, having Jonghyun surrendering in seconds.

"He asked if he could give Taemin a surprise party tonight and I said yes." He waited for objections that never came. "Aren't you mad?"

"That's actually not a bad idea..." There were agreements from the others to what Key said.

"Will you be mad then when I say I told him he could go to Taemin's chemo tomorrow too?"


"Why are you making me get dressed up for a dance practice? I'm not even going to do anything in it..." Taemin couldn't help but sigh as Key ignored him and still went through the closet for something comfortable-yet-fashionable for him. "Really. Can't I just wear sweatpants and a t-shirt or something?"

"No. I will never let you walk out of this apartment looking like that."

"Then I'll get Minho-hyung to carry me." Key couldn't help the smirk that formed at Taemin's comment, but the maknae was still straight-faced. "I'm serious. I'll go get him now."

"Come back here mister." He hadn't even gotten two steps before Key was calling him back. Defeated, Taemin sat back on the bed with a sigh. "I promise I won't go overboard. Just wear this." A pair of black skinny jeans was handed to him, but nothing else. "I'll find a shirt once you put it on."

"Really hyung? I have to go shirtless while you decide?" There was a nod and Taemin let out a huff but pulled off his extra-small sweatpants to slide on the slightly-too-big jeans. "Really?"

"Yes, now take off your shirt. Or I will." And he definitely didn't want that, so Taemin shrugged off the long sleeved t-shirt and stood there in the jeans and showing his concave stomach and ribs that could have been easily counted.

"I'm cold, so hurry up!" He stood there rubbing his arms to keep warm as Key dug through the closet. The first thing he threw out was a plain white t-shirt with some sort of saying on it. "Am I wearing this?"

"Yes, so put it on and shut up. I'm trying to make you fabulous." They both paused in what they were doing, Key half-buried in the closet and Taemin with the shirt over his head, to laugh a little before continuing. Taemin was only standing there for a few seconds after he got the shirt on when Key came back out with a red sweater, matching it to the color of the design on the shirt. "Here. Since you're always cold. You can choose the hat today."

"You put all the effort into this and would let me ruin it with a hat?" Taemin saw the elder freeze up a little and smiled at him. "I'll let you chose. But I'm wearing a plain mask and cover. No crazy designs."

"You ruin the fun..." But Key still walked over to the drawer he had designated for just the hats and masks and covers. In what seemed like seconds, he had pulled out a black cover and mask and was just looking through the hats. "Do you want a cap or a beanie?"

"I honestly don't care. Just give me something so Jonghyun-hyung doesn't yell at us for being late."

"Well then..." Key gave a smirk as he pulled his favorite hat from the bunch and stuck it on Taemin's head without letting the youngest see. "There. Just grab your things and let's go!"

"Is this the one with the teeth?"

"Maybe..."


"Why did I have to come help you carry water bottles if you won't let me carry any?" Taemin was practically whining—not fitting the 'manly' image he wanted at all. It didn't matter between him and Key.

"Because I didn't want to have to walk here alone." Key paused for a second and managed to free a hand enough to grab a bottle and hold it out. "Carry that."

"Thanks. I feel so important." It was joking as Taemin took the bottle, holding it like it was the most precious thing. As they passed the normal dance room, his eyes grew confused. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere special."

"Why?"

"You're sounding like a little kid." He gave a little smile to Taemin before shaking his head. "Surprise. Don't ask anything about it." Taemin opened his mouth, only to close it again when Key gave him a look. "We are almost there. Just be patient."

"Fine..." Taemin huffed a little, but followed after Key until they stopped outside of a room. "Isn't the room for large groups? Why are we here?"

"What did I say about asking questions?" Key paused before opening the door to look at Taemin, who only looked down at his feet.

"To not ask them... Sorry."

"Stop looking like I killed your puppy. Jonghyun is still alive." He chuckled as Taemin gave another nod.

"But Jonghyun is your puppy."

"Yah! Lee Taemin!" Now it was the maknae's turn to chuckle. "Maybe I won't let you in then."

"I don't care. Carry your own water then." He placed the bottle on top of the many in Key's arms, starting to walk away. Crap crap crap. This isn't how this is supposed to go.

"Wait!" Taemin froze and looked at Key as he struggled to balance the bottles, but didn't walk back to him. "I'm sorry, now please come help me again..."

A smile broke across the emotionless face of Taemin and he laughed. "You actually thought I would leave you? Where would I go?" He grabbed a few bottles from Key as he spoke, finally looking the diva in the eyes at the end. "And you actually apologized to me... I wish that was on tape."

"Yah! Just open the door for me!" He kicked the door for Taemin to get the idea and the youngest did, letting his friend in first before following.

With eyes closed from laughter, he didn't see anything. But they snapped open only seconds later. "Surprise! Happy birthday Taemin!"

And there stood Kai, arms wide as he smiled at the elder friend. Minho, Jonghyun, and Jinki stood with him, but behind them were most of the stars of the company. "W-what?"

"Happy birthday." Kai gestured to the cake in the middle of the room, as if that explained it all. And it actually did.