Chapter 1

I'd Do Anything

The last few beats of Lucifer resounded around the arena and Taemin wanted more than anything to collapse and breathe air normally or at least have a sip of water, but there wasn’t time for that. Instead, he was changing placements in the dark for the beginning of Sherlock, not being able to see a thing. Even if the lights weren’t shut off, he wouldn’t have been able to see with the black spots he knew were floating in his vision just from the lightheaded feeling he had. But no one was to know. No one could know the loveable, energetic maknae wasn’t as energetic and was getting older. He couldn’t show it.

And there wasn’t a reason to. Everyone got tired quicker as they got older, right? He could remember when the hyungs were the age he was at now, and they were nowhere near as energetic as he was at the time. So Taemin figured it was something that just happened as he got older.

But still, no one could know.

It was a miracle he got through the song, not being able to see a thing. He hadn’t collided with anyone, hadn’t made a single misstep, and even got his parts all perfect, just like he needed to. No one would suspect and thing, no one would worry.

The second the song was over though, he felt himself falling. Just bracing for the impact with the ground, it surprised him when it never happened. Opening eyes that had fluttered shut at some point, he was face to face with Key, the diva being the only thing holding him up. Their mics were still active, still ready to pick up every little sound they made, but Key didn’t need to speak to get his message across, giving Taemin an “are-you-okay” look as he steadied the younger.

And Taemin nodded. It was true, he was fine then. The feeling had passed, he could see again. There was just the need to breathe heavier than they were ever allowed into the mics, but that could be held off for a little. Their positions relaxed and the five started to walk to the edge of the stage, planning on speaking to the fans. Or, the others were. Taemin was just planning on heading for the towels and water, needing a drink at least for the moment.

He grabbed one for each of them as an excuse for why he went alone, handing them down the line as Onew talked. And sipping at his, he didn’t pay any attention. It wasn’t like they spoke to him a lot during these things anyways. “Taemin?”

With a quick swallow, his mouth was clear of water as he looked at Jonghyun, staring back at him with intensity. “What?”

And they were laughing. There were laughs and cheers from the fans in the crowd, but he was honestly confused. What had he asked me? “I’d asked if you were okay. You were staring at the ground pretty hard.” Jonghyun was still smiling as he looked at Taemin, but his eyes showed the slightest bit of worry.

That’s two people I’ve worried today. Nice job. With an innocent smile, he looked back at Jonghyun, hoping he looked like he was telling the truth. “Of course! There was just a bug and I didn’t want it getting any closer.”

Before he even knew what was happening, his wrist was grabbed by someone and he was being pulled between Onew and Minho and stood there. “Then stay by us hyungs and we will keep the mean bugs away.” Minho gave him a smile and for a second, Taemin could forget everything and just have fun on the stage. “Your hyungs won’t let anything hurt you.”

If only you knew…


It was a week. A week of pounding headaches and dizzying almost-blackouts and tiredness to the point of collapse, but it was a week Taemin had gone without anyone noticing. He could convince himself it was the flu or exhaustion, but convincing the others… That would be a harder task.

One he didn’t want to have to do or take up. Ever.

“Breakfast is ready!”Kibum’s yell through the apartment didn’t help his headache any, but Taemin got over that quickly as he went to stand from the living room couch. The too-familiar black spots covered his vision once again, but he simply pushed through the feeling. And just as he went to take a step, Minho, Jonghyun, and Jinki walked into the room together, laughing and joking. That all ended as they looked up just in time to see Taemin going down, his eyes rolling into his head as his body hit the ground with a thud. “Jinki-hyung, did you fall again?”

He walked into the room with a smile on his face, ready to laugh at the clumsy leader, until he saw them all standing frozen in place, all staring at the same spot with a look of shock on their faces. “What are you…” Kibum finally saw the crumpled form of Taemin and the smile fell, replaced with a look of horror. In seconds, he was next to the boy’s limp body, trying to shake him awake while the three could only watch; none of them were sure of what they were to do. “Taemin, wake up. Please, wake up…”

He looked around when the boy didn’t, trying to see anything that could tell him what happened. There was nothing, but an opened bottle of ice-cold water was on the table and without even thinking, Kibum took the cap off and dumped half of it on Taemin, trying anything now. “One of you get a towel. And someone get car keys.”

Two sets of feet scurried off, leaving one person standing still. “What’s the matter with him?” Minho’s voice sounded broken as he looked over the crouched elder to the maknae, eyes wider than normal. “Is he sick?”

“If I knew, would I be so worried?” Kibum’s voice was harsh, shutting Minho up more with every syllable. But as soon as he turned back to the fallen boy, it was soft again, cooing like one would to a child. “Taemin, can you please wake up? Please…”

It seemed he had heard, because Taemin’s eyes fluttered under the lids before opening a crack. Through that slit, he looked around and finally spotted Kibum. With a groan, he sat up, getting help every inch of the way. Only after he was leaning against the couch did the guiding hands leave his shoulders. “What happened? And why am I soaking wet?”

“You weren’t waking up…” The tears in his eyes finally started to fall, racing down his cheeks like raindrops on a window. “I was so scared. Thank God you are okay…”

Taemin only awkwardly patted his hyung’s shoulder, looking over him to Minho. The way he acted was as if it was completely normal to faint like he had. But to him, it was. “What happened?”

“We were going to ask you that…” Jinki appeared with the towel in his hands, cutting in before Minho could answer. He placed it on top of the maknae’s head to try and dry some on the soaking hair, and then looked down at the crying Kibum. “Are you alright? You passed out the second you stood up.”

“Yeah… I’m fine.” His voice wasn’t as convincing as he would have wished it to be, but he added a small smile onto it. “I think I was just tired.”

“I have the car keys!” Jonghyun slid into the room, his socks giving no traction on the wood floors, only to see everyone crowded around a sitting Taemin. “Oh, you’re up! So are we taking him to a hospital?”

Taemin’s voice was curt as he answered immediately. “I’m fine.” Looking around at the four older members, he tried to give another smile. “Really, there’s no need to go to a hospital and make a big fuss. I was just a little tired.”

“A little tired does not equal passing out, Taemin.” Minho went to say more, but was cut off once more when Jinki held out a hand to stop him and shook his head.

“Just tell us if you don’t feel well today.” He looked around, taking on the role of the leader he was. “Now why don’t we all have some breakfast?”

Kibum shot up almost immediately, racing back into the kitchen to shut off a burner, yelling something about burning some of it. Minho and Jonghyun eventually followed after him, leaving Jinki to help Taemin up from the floor. As they walked the few feet to the kitchen, he leaned closer to the maknae, right next to his ear. “Later,” he whispered as they walked, “I’m taking you to the hospital. No complaining.”

And there was no use fighting against it. The perfect world of Lee Taemin was falling now that they knew.

It would never get to be complete again.