Luhan's Story

I Don't Know

 

"What's wrong? Are you sick again?" Kai asks worriedly.
I shake my head and smile, "Hmm. No, don't worry. Lets go in"
"Eung.." He nods as his hand reaches out to turn the door knob.
 
As the door opened, 
"Tao~ Kai-ah!" Chen said looking up from his table with somewhat glad but worries expression.
Kai skips and sits next to him delightedly, "Oh? Hyung, why are you here? Are the other here as well?"
I look around suspiciously and squint my eye, looking at him "Are you planning on some kind of pranks? If so, let me join you" I offer.
Chen laughs and smiles before answering, "just me, kai-ah, the others are still in class. And, I be honor to but that's not it, Tao"
I raised my eyebrow in confusion, "Then, are you skipping classes again? Minseok hyung is gonna be mad at you.."
"What are you guys doing here? Chen asks, trying to avoid the subject being shift to Xiumin.
 
Kai ignores him and happily skips to the couch, lying there to get some sleep.
Chen eyed him curiously and asks, " is he still like that?"
I nod and his mouth form an 'o'.
"Let him. Anyway, why are you guys here really? It's rare for you to skips class, Tao.." He asks, looking at me demanding for an answer.
"I'm just too worry to concentrate. Sehunnie just charges out of class like that-"
Before I could continue, Chen said "don't worry, Sehunnie always like that, he's probably with Luhan hyung now"
I stare at him, don't know what to ask first.
He chuckles looking at my face and hand gesturing me to come sit nearer to him.
I did without being told twice.
 
"Wha-what?" I look at him as I grab a chair and sit across him at the table.
He laughs, "stop being afraid of me will you? Hahaha"
I scoff, "I am not! .... Okay, like how can I not when you did that?!" I said, pointing on one particular photo frame hanged on the wall.
"What?" He said,pretending not to get what I mean.
"Chen... Don't make me wushu your heads off.." I threaten him, cracking my knuckle.
"Hahaha relax. That is.. A memories for us okay! We know how much you were trying to avoid us then, so it's normal to framed the little 'contract' we signed" he said, still laughing.
I sigh, "Right..."
 
There is a silence until I ask again, "but what happen to those questions sheet though? And like seriously... Why did all of you were eager on chasing me back then?"
"Should we not then?" He asks in a teasing manner.
I flick his forehead, gaining a groan from him in return.
"That's not what I'm asking.. So?"
"Those questions sheet is somewhere safe~ and WE just think that you're interesting. But I bet you glad that you decided to stay, riiight?" Chen said, wiggling his eyebrows and smirking nonstop.
I huff in annoyance and turn my head, avoiding any eye contact.
"Yea.." I mumble quietly, and smile to myself.
 
Just then, my phone beep and I take it out from my pocket.
 
 
 
 
From: Kris~
To: Tao.
Finally.. Done for today. I'm sleepy.. I barely open my eyes.
 
 
 
 
I smile before typing a reply.
 
 
 
 
From: Tao.
To: Kris~ 
Good job.. You should rest first, okay? I'm with Chen and Kai at the club room anyway.
I think something happened, I'll get to you later.
 
 
 
 
A few seconds later,
 
 
 
 
From: Kris~
To: Tao.
I will. And you really shouldn't be alone with those two ert. It's dangerous. Anyway, let us text again later. Do get to me.
 
 
 
 
I laugh until I heard Chen scoffs.
I decided to ignore him and ask, "but really why are you here?"
"You still haven't gotten over the curiosity huh?" He sighs and continues,
"you know, curiosity kills the cat. The lesser you know the better. But if you're insisting.."
I look at him intently and he sighs again.
 
"Well, it's Luhan hyung.." He said with a dragging tone, I remain quiet to let him continue.
"He cried" he stopped, pain obviously taking over his eyes.
"What.. Why? How so? Where is ge right now?" I ask, shooting up from my seat, feeling a bit worry and panic.
Chen pulled me down gently, telling me to calm down and sit,
"Home, I supposed"
"Home? Not the dorm? Why...." I ask, more worried.
Chen thinks for awhile before started talking again,
"Hmm, I don't know if I should be the one to tell you this but...."
 
"Luhan hyung is not who he appears to be" Kai interrupted.
I look at him with an obvious confused look, "Oh..."
Kai shrugs and look at Chen,
"But for him to cried,something must've happened right?" He asks.
Chen nods, "Mm.. You know how tough and strict his parents is right?"
"Yea.. What? Did they force him to go back to China again?!" Kai asks, eye wide opened.
"That's not it-" Chen is about to answer,
 
"Wait.. Wait, I'm still here you know.." I said, hinting a bit of annoyance.
Kai look at me sorrily, "Sorry, didn't mean any offend. Just, his parents is no kidding".
My face contorted in even more confusion.
 
Chen sighs, exchanging glaces with Kai, and begins.
"Luhan's parents is always busy and stuff, you know.. they spent no time for him even as a kid. He grows up alone, even though there are maids in the house but he still feels.. Loveless??"
 
"Yea.. And there was time where he was left alone and the house almost burned down with him inside.
He was saved but he's really near death as he was immediately rushed to the hospital.
But instead of worrying about Luhan, his parents scolded him for not taking care of the house and he was sent to lived with his grandparents in China.
Never did they ask for explanation and Luhan was freaking 5 years old!"
Kai said a bit louder than usual, feeling totally angry.
 
Chen glares at Kai causing the younger to calm his nerve down a bit.
"It's not even his fault the house caught on fire, he was sleeping then.
Later, we found out that it was one of the maid's fault but Luhan took up all the blame because she fled and he was left with no one to back him up
but you know how stupid he is?
He's still thankful toward her since she kinda took care of him" Chen continues to explain.
 
Kai nods and continues, "That was before he met us though.
In China, he came to know Kris and Lay.
His grandparents is really nice and Kris's parents cares a lot about Luhan and even Kris treats him like a brother.
But he never let them into his life. He shuts himself.
Then at age of 7, he's finally back in Korea because his grandparents died.
Those scars him for life.
Kris and Lay followed him here after constantly begging their parents. That's when we came into his life"
 
"When we first met him, he was gloomy and never speaks a word.
He was pretty much soulless. You know, those dead eyes that expressed nothing but guilt?
But he never cries. Yea..
He was back and lived with his parents but the house is still as usual, empty.
He didn't want any maids and lives on by himself. We got to know him through Kris and Lay because they're originally our friend.
We spent our time at his house to accompany him but never once did he laugh"
Kai's face turns into a frown and he stops talking.
 
Chen sighs and take the cues,
"He has built a wall surrounding himself, I mean, he feels like he needed a protection. He didn't let us in his life and he never wants to come out because he stupidly believed that'll it hurt all of us"
 
Pain obviously washes over their face.
"..... But then.. How..-" I am about to ask but stop.
 
Chen smiles a bit and continues, 
"How he turned out like he is now?
Well, at age of 8, that's when Sehun came into his life. He's the latest to came into his life.
Sehun is our friend to begin with but back then, he didn't lived with his parents.
Sehun lived with his grandparents in the countryside because his parents started to get busy then.
However, Sehun's parents is fair and love him dearly. Thus, he never felt neglected.
They make times to visit him every weekend. We went to see him sometimes too.
One of those days, we dragged Luhan there with us because Sehun is sick"
 
"As Luhan saw Sehun, he's practically panic because he doesn't know how to care for sick people.
It was just a high fever but he stayed up all night staring at Sehun.
Offering him water to drink when Sehun's awake a few times in the middle of the night asking for water, and they don't even know each other yet.
Sehun grandparents can't do anything about it too as Luhan was really stubborn and we just quietly watched over him"
 
"When Sehun recovered, he and Luhan gets along really well.
And Sehun is really mature despite his young age.
While we acted like kids we are then, he acts like a brother to Luhan.
I guess that must've hit Luhan's heart somewhere, when he suddenly broke down crying. Then, we realized that what Luhan need was someone to care for him not to play or joke around with"
 
"Starting then, Sehun kept on coming to Luhan's house.
Luhan started to talk more. We were shocked by how soft his voice sounded then.
Soon after, Sehun moved back to lived in Seoul and we all attended the same school ever since.
Luhan's parents is still the same old but they began to force their way in Luhan's life now that he's older because he is the heir of their business after all"
 
"Yea, but even though he's talking, smiling and laughing now, he's not all that better.
The wall in his heart never breaks down but he pretended to be.
He genuinely thought we believe it when he says he's okay.
We never do but we don't want to keep on touching thing we shouldn't, so we let him be. We try to be as normal as possible because that's the only way we can help him..that it hurt us sometimes.
Even though he needs care but he knows he's one of the oldest among us, thus he tries, no..Trying to care for us. 
That's pretty much it. The stories could go on forever, you know..
He'll tell you the rest if he wants.. Don't worry"
Chen concludes with a smile while Kai just quietly listen.
 
Kai seems to be in a deep thought and I'm sure he's fighting back his tears.
'But why...?'
 
I never thought a person as cheerful as Luhan could be in so much pain, masking his own tears and cries with a smile that can deceives even an animal.