Last and Vast *

Running Wild

______ JIEUN'S POINT OF VIEW ______

I left him in the cold air that night after I had told him the news. It felt like there was a huge rain cloud over me that wouldn't ever go away until I had the chance to see him again. But because of my dumb parents, I wouldn't have that chance. Ever. A part of me had died. I knew I was just 18 then, barely knowing where my future was headed, and it was ridiculous how much I liked him, but I did anyways.

That's how I'll always remember it, my hardest goodbye. 

My parents on the other hand, had other ideas for my future. They told me that it was a silly crush and I'd get over it soon, but they were dead wrong. For at least a year, I would pretend he was the pillow next to me -- soft and warm. I would reminisce and think of the last words he had said to me. After that year, I convinced myself that he was probably with another woman somewhere off across the country.

It's been exactly two years since I was forced to move away and had no choice but to be isolated from him. I won't like anyone ever again. That's exactly what I told my parents when they told me to go out and meet boys. But today when they slowly creeped into my room while I was making lesson plans for tomorrow's class that I was substituting for, I was utterly shocked.

"Jieunnie!" My father said, causing me to flinch and topple over. My dad just chuckled and helped me up, looking very smiley. Wait a minute. I looked at my mom, then back at my dad, my head whipping from him to her. They both wore smiles on their faces, the thing they never usually wore unless they had to pretend to laugh at their rich friends' jokes. "Aish, so clumsy.." My mother teased, ruffling my bangs that were obviously getting too long. On days like this, my mom would usually warn that I have to cut my bangs or she'll force me to pin them up. I ignored it and put on my fake smile. "Joeun ohuimnida." I said formally like my parents would want me to when talking to olders. If they were being happy for me, the least I could do was say good afternoon formally. We went to the living room to talk when I almost fainted.

My parents wanted me to get married. Worst of all, they were trying to set me up.

______ CHANHO'S POINT OF VIEW ______

Everything was perfectly fine. I come from a rich family. Big house, nice cars, fancy clothes, and I have the best of everything. I set up a nice image in front of everyone in the big business, but truthfully I only did it for my parents. I really did like to party and I flirt around. That's just the way I was.

I was eating a late lunch at the table with my parents. "Chanho-ah~ Your father and I have something to tell you." My mom said. "Something to tell me? What is it?" I asked plainly, expecting something simple. "You're getting married." My father bluntly said, looking at me excitedly. I nearly threw up. "What?" That meant I was going to be restricted from all my parties and I wouldn't be able to let girls sleep over. I solemnly stared at my parents for awhile, thinking of what life would be like without crazy nights, drinking, and the things that made life fun. My parents went blabbing on, but then I heard the actual reason. "We need more money so we have arranged a marriage for you. We are having dinner with the family tonight at 7pm. Hopefully this girl will help you out of your bad habits too." My mom informed me. Throughout the rest of breakfast, I was still in shock. What do I do? I don't want to be married to some unknown girl. Well you know, unless she's pretty hot or something, but still! How did they expect me to like this idea?

I spent the rest of my day in my backyard shooting hoops. I plan to never tell any of my friends this. They're gonna ditch me because I'm gonna get married and they'll think the worst of me. Reputation = gone. I can just say she's my girlfriend? I don't know... My mind was filled with all these thoughts on how to avoid my friends from finding out and what she might look like. It was about 5pm and I still needed to get ready so I put my basketball in the ball bin and jogged back inside to get ready for the dinner. Hopefully she's pretty and not annoying, but then again, all wives get old, ugly, and whiney. Oh jeez, the things my parents would do to get some dough.