Opposite Directions *

Running Wild

______ HYUKJIN'S POINT-OF-VIEW ______

He was gone. Every inch of me was guilty. He had the right to be angry. I never really did pay enough attention to him, but it wasn't my fault, my jobs– Forget it, I can't make up excuses. I know it's my fault. I should've noticed that he didn't come down for a couple hours and that he was wrestling Jia because he wanted to leave that badly. I prayed silently, hoping and hoping he was alright. Knowing him, he could be in jail right now or worse, dead. I tried to blur those images out of my mind. I couldn't lose anyone else. I had already lost everyone.

So, where was I going? I was in the car, turning the heat up because my ears were burning and I was trying not to be so tense. I the classical music station, but it was too quiet, I needed something to occupy my mind. I switched the station, hoping a song I liked would play. Instead I heard, "12:28am, a car crash was reported. The big business owner of 'Capitol Cars' daughter, Song Jieun and her fiancee, the son of Donghyun and Sungmi Song, Chanho were together by the highway of the Han River and were suddenly crashed into by a reckless driver. The driver then sped away from the scene to not get recognized. Stay tuned for more updates on the shocking crash." 

I bit my lip. I remembered the times when me and Baekhyun were both dating people. We both had given up on relationships after ours both ended badly. That was only 2 years ago, but it felt like it was a couple months ago. Sunyoung had left to America to study admaking and make more money. I had wanted to go with her so badly, but I couldn't leave Baek and I didn't have the money. She told me that we should part so the next time we'd see each other, we'd both be sucessful and happily married. I didn't like thinking about Sunyoung. There was too much to remember which meant a lot to forget. Still, I couldn't shake the feeling off. Those were the happiest days when me and Baekhyun were occupied. I remember when I about Jieun for a year when he didn't have the guts to tell her he liked her because he was usually outgoing and asked every pretty girl he saw out to dinner.

I guess Jieun was engaged now. I wonder if Baekhyun knew. Her parents had been the reason for their break-up, which I thought was completely cruel because they matched each other so well, I thought they would grow old together. Our house was near the Han River highway accident, so I was entirely surrounded by cars and traffic. 

I knew I was out here to find Baekhyun, but I spun around to the direction of hospital and sped up. Jieun used to be like a little sister to me and her parents didn't hate me like they hated Baekhyun. I think it was because he brought Jieun clubbing once... That idiot. I had trouble with parking, it seemed as if news reporters couldn't get enough of both of the Song families. I squeezed through the crowd and to my surprise, Baekhyun was part of that crowd. And.. He was arrested. 

 

_______ JIEUN'S POINT-OF-VIEW ______

"M-mom, I think I'm gonna go take a little walk around the hospital..." They started looking at each other with surprised eyes. Did they really not want me to see that boy? I got up from my bed and started walking towards the door. "Jieun-ah! Why do you want to go out there? It's 3am and you should be getting rest." "Mom, I'm pretty sure if I lay down again and get more rest, I'll lose circulation in my legs. Please? I just want to look around." I begged with a little pout. I could tell they were still a little hesitant, but they both nodded their heads. "I promise to be back soon, okay?" Without even waiting for their reply, I was already out of the door, but was pushed back. I was pulled back into the room. What the hell?! I looked down. Argh, wires. Of course. I tried pulling them off, but they just wouldn't come un-done. I looked at my parents who were sitting at the edge of the bed watching me. "Can I take these off?" My mom laughed. "Can't you wait until later to walk around?" She looked slightly nervous. "No, I need to go now!" I demanded and then tried to soften my tone so I wasn't suspicious. "Why?" . What am I supposed to say now... "The only good bathrooms being used so early! And I'm a little hungry..." She did not look convinced at all. "Mom. If you can't even trust me right now, how are you ever going to trust me when I take over your company?" It's been 10 minutes! He could've already left... Forget it. There's no hope now. He could already be gone and I would never be able to see him ever again. I was about to walk back to my bed, but all of a sudden I felt someone taking my wires off. I looked back. "I trust you enough to know that you will be mature about this, and for whatever reason you want to walk around for.. Just don't get hurt again, okay?" The wires were off and I leaped into her arms. "Thank you, mom." I smiled and headed out the door. 

I searched though every hall, every story. I've been walking around for an hour. Of course he left! Ugh. Jieun, I swear you are such an idiot sometimes. Ding! I walked into the elevator, and pushed the "R" button. It really looked like him.. It could be him. But he would've never done anything to hurt me. Right? "Aish, so frustrating.." I hit my head againt the side of the elevator hard. "Ah, You crazy bi-" Am I talking about myself? "I'm so stupid.  I DON'T KNOW EVEN ANYMORE!" I pouted and Ding! The doors opened. I walked outside of the elevator, slowly making my way to the roof. I inhaled the fresh air and examined the surrounding objects. Flowers. I walked around the roof, eyeing the flowers. The sun was rising. I was so intrigued with looking at the sunrise, that I didn't even notice that I accidently bumped into someone. I jumped back and quickly bowed. "I'm sorry. I should've been paying attention to where I was going." I bowed like a thousand times. "...It's okay.." I finally looked up after bowing. Our eyes met and it seemed like time stopped. We wasted a good few minutes just doing that. Looking at each other. "A-annyeong." I broke the silence and wow... I didn't know I had the courage to do that. "Annyeong." His deep voice rang in my head. It wasn't like his regular energetic voice. "How have you been?" I tried to smile and asked. "Good. You?" Why were his answers so short? I remembered he would NEVER stop talking back then. "Good." I nodded. We didn't speak a word for at least 10 minutes. Suddenly, he was moving his feet. Towards the exit. "Wait!" I called. He halted. "Why? Why are you doing this again?"

~ FLASHBACK ~

We were standing at the roof of the school. Why did it feel so awkward today? Should I say something? Aniya... He started heading back to class. "Where are you going?" He was out of the door. Not even a goodbye? Gosh, someone must me in a bad mood today. I pouted and caught a glimpse of a piece of paper that flew out of his hands.

"Jieun"

I opened the paper, and the next thing I knew. I was running out of the school. What an . 

~

As Jieun rushed out of the doors, the piece of paper was falling towards the ground. Just like her heart.

"Goodbye."

~ END OF FLASHBACK ~

I could feel the tears about to fall. It's happening all over again. He's leaving me again. But this time, he had a better reason than before. But I have a reason to keep him here too! "Yah. Aren't you going to answer me?!" My tears started to fall. I'm breaking down again. This was making me angry. I was about to storm out of there. I walked passed him and before I knew it, I couldn't move. I was in his embrace. My tears were streaming down my face even harder than I thought they could. He turned my body around to face him, and leaned in. Moments later, I just started realizing what was happening. He's kissing me. The kiss was so gentle and sweet. It felt like I was being put in a spell. It was too late until I realized I started kissing him back. No. Nope, Jieun. This isn't right, but it felt like it was. Soon he pulled away. "I'm sorry.. I crashed into you.." He looked down and was about to leave. "Congratulations on your engagement.." He whispered then walked out of the door. He... He crashed into us? He's the maniac driver that my parents were all obsessed with? I covered my mouth, not able to speak, watching him leave like that. All these years of imagining us running away together.. Is this the end again? This didn't sound or feel like the Byun Baekhyun I knew. I closed my eyes as tears fell from them. When I opened them again, he was gone and the sun was up. I turned around to see my parents stading in front of the elevator doors.