16 END

Listen

 

 

 

The room was quiet except for the humming of the machines and a little beep here and there. She opens her eyes and sees the dirty white ceiling and gets blinded by the fluorescent light. She then felt something up , choking her. She tries to take it off but it won’t budge.  The machines then beep rapidly. She cries for help but it seems no one can hear her. She felt like all the air is being out her lungs as she struggles to pull the tube out . When she finally takes it out, the curtains surrounding her bed flew open and the doctor and nurses see her hyperventilating. Quickly the medical staffs put an oxygen mask on her and check the machines. One doctor took out his pen light and flashes the light to her eyes. It surprises her and she slaps the doctor away and struggles to get out of the bed but the other nurses manage to pin her down. She doesn’t know what’s going on so she struggles against them. Suddenly she hears a voice that somewhat calms her down. 

 

“J-joohyun?”

 

The nurses gave way so she could see the owner of that voice. The owner was crying, her tears flowing nonstop. There is a man behind her who is also crying, squeezing the woman’s shoulders and smiling at her.

 

Why are they crying? She tries to call them out, but then she realizes she has no voice. No, it’s not that I lost my voice. feels dry. She coughs, making the two adults go beside her in concern. She reaches out to them and they both hold her hand. Finally, she manages to say out the words.

 

“Mom? Dad?” Her voice was soft, at the same time muffled by the oxygen mask, yet everyone in the room understood what she said.

 

“Oh my baby!” Seohyun’s mom hugs her tightly, while her dad squeezes her hand. She hugs her back, and smell the familiar perfume her mom always wears. I miss this, she thinks to herself.  

 

But why am I here? What happened?

 

Her questions were answered later when her mom and dad finally let go of her so the doctor could examine her. “You were in a coma,” her doctor explains, “for two months.”

 

Two months?! “Two months?!” She looks around the room. It is filled with flowers, lots of Keroro stuff toys, and letters hoping for her to get well and wake up. The doctor then asks her, “What’s the last thing you remember?”

 

Seohyun tries to remember. The images flash through her mind. “I… I remember rehearsing for the XXX awards show…  SNSD and TTS are going to perform… also Hyoyeon unnie has an opening act for that…”

 

She then sees a worried look among the people inside the room. Did I say something wrong? She tries to listen to their thoughts, but she hears… nothing. Except for the hum of machines, silence fills the room. Why can’t I hear people’s thoughts like I usually do?

 

“What do you think the date is today, Ms. Seo?” the doctor asks while he writes down some notes. Seohyun thinks. If the awards show is July 7, and they say I’ve been in a coma for two months, then it’s September, right?

 

“September?” she answers.

 

The doctor writes down some more notes. He then looks up to Seohyun. “I’m afraid you’re experiencing disorientation right now, Ms. Seo. Don’t worry; it’s normal among patients waking up from comatose. The date today is actually July 7, and it’s almost midnight.” He then turns to her parents. “I would like to have some more tests done to make sure that she’s fine, like an MRI and XRay.”

 

“Doctor,” Seohyun interrupts, “Why was I in a coma in the first place? Did I have a car crash or something? Are my members okay?”

 

“It looks like you’re experiencing memory loss too. You’ve actually been in an accident when you had your concert here two months ago.”

 

Seohyun remembers that accident. She remembers the sudden stampede of fans, them running all around the concert arena, and the feeling of fear when someone suddenly grabbed her and made her fall to the ground. She remembered reaching out to the person nearest her, then losing consciousness.But she also remembers the events that happened after that. She remembers waking up, going home to her parents, Yoona's photoshoot, watching her unnies' variety show on tv, her schedules, the storm and getting drunk, and finally everything that happened between her and Hyoyeon.

 

But if I was in a coma, then what about everything that I remember happening these past few weeks?

 

” You were rushed here, unconscious, and you’ve been asleep ever since. We managed to take care of the concussion, but you somehow wouldn’t wake up, even though brain scans show your brain as active and every other part of your body is fine.”

 

“We always pray that you would wake up. We know you would fight and not leave us. You’re a very strong girl Hyunnie”, her mother says while holding her hand. Seohyun takes a good look at her mom. Her mom looks older, more tired, as if she hasn’t had a good sleep in a while. She seems to have lost some weight, and when she looks at her dad, it’s the same for him.

 

“I’m sorry”, she apologizes to her parents, “I’m sorry for making you suffer mom, dad.” Seohyun’s tears start to fall. “I never meant to…”

 

“It’s okay baby”, her mom assures her as she hugs her. “The important thing is you’re awake, and you’re here with us right now.” They stayed like that for a while, crying and hugging, but also enjoying the fact that their family is together. The doctor meanwhile talks to her dad about the tests he would like to be done for Seohyun. Her dad agrees and the doctor left the room. He sits besides his wife and daughter and turns on the TV to a show he knows his daughter will like.

 

“…And the award goes to…So Nyo Shi Dae!!!” The announcer’s voice made Seohyun look up to the TV. It was the same awards show in her dream, except the difference is she’s not there with her group. It was a dream, wasn’t it? I mean, the fact that I can read people’s mind is already a sign that it was a dream. But then she remembers the last thing that happened before she woke up. If everything that happened was a dream, then that part too was also not real. So, real life Hyoyeon unnie doesn't feel that way for me? She suddenly felt as if something pierced thru her heart, her chest feels so tight, and a wave of sadness engulfed her.

 

"Are you okay baby? Does it hurt anywhere?" Her mother frantically asks. Seohyun realized she was clutching her chest and was breathing fast. Not wanting to make her parents worry, she closes her eyes and tries to steady her breathing. When she felt a bit calmer, she looks up to watch the showShe sees her members crying and smiling, bowing to the other groups as they made their way to the stage. She notices that all of them lost weight. They look so tired as they position themselves around the mike stand.

 

“They visit every day, you know”, her father then says. “Every time they don’t have a schedule, they stay here during visitor hours. They talk to you about their day, as if you were awake and listening to them…” Her father smiles as they watch her group receive the award. “I’m glad that you have very loving and caring members.” Her mother nods in approval. “That reminds me, I have to call your manager about your good news”, he turns to Seohyun with a smile. “Or would you like to tell them yourselves?”

 

She nods and her father hands her a phone. She was about to dial when she hears Taeyeon’s voice thanking the staff and other members of their agency and production team for the success of their album. They were all crying so you couldn’t really understand their words. Then the microphone was passed to Hyoyeon, and she clears before speaking, which made Seohyun giggle.

 

“Seo Joohyun”, Seohyun perks up when she hears her name being called out by Hyoyeon, “Seohyun, we miss you. SONEs miss you. Your sunbaes and hoobaes miss you. Everyone misses you.” She pauses, trying to control the sobs that were about to go out. The others, meanwhile, continue sobbing on camera. The camera then pans to the idol audience, and Seohyun sees that almost all of them are crying too. “SNSD misses you, maknae. We miss your naggings, we miss your laughs, we miss you. SNSD is not the same without you. Please save us our tears and wake up. We will welcome you back with open arms, you know that.” She takes another deep breath. “I… I mean we… we love you Hyunnie.” And with that ending Hyoyeon breaks down. The other members comfort her as the presenters accompany them off the stage. The audience was clapping for them and the host then motions for a commercial break.

 

During her speech, Seohyun realizes something. Even though it was part of her dream, what she felt towards Hyoyeon is real. That she is so sure. For the first time in her life, she feels her heart beating faster at just the mere sight of someone. She feels butterflies in her stomach the moment she hears Hyoyeon's voice. She notices every feature in Hyoyeon's face, like how dark her eyebags are even though she tried to hide it thru makeup, how thin her face has gotten, how her lips quiver as she makes her speech, how she can hear the sadness and longing in her voice. Yet no matter how tired her unnie looks, to Seohyun she is still the most beautiful woman in the world. She feels guilty making her suffer like that, and she has this desire to jump into the tv and wipe her tears away, hug her and comfort her, kiss her and make her troubles go away. She can't stand seeing her so depressed like that.

 

Seohyun wipes the tears that were falling since Hyoyeon began her speech. I’m a very lucky girl, aren’t I, to have members like them. And I'm very glad to have fallen in love with a woman like Hyoyeon unnie. Her father rubs her back while her mother gives her some tissues. She wipes her face and blows her nose, then dials the phone. Her mother was about to put away the tissues but she took it. “I’m going to need it, mom.” Her mom smiles and puts her arm around her daughter’s waist as she calls their manager to tell him the good news.

 

 

 

 

The girls were running along the hospital corridor, their heels clacking loudly against the waxed tiled floor. Their manager was telling them not to run, but they didn’t care; they wanted to see her so badly. As they run, the events earlier are still fresh in their minds.

 

They made their way to their table after receiving the award. The other idols came up to them, offering words of assurance. Krystal came with her members, and Jessica quickly runs to her and cries in her shoulders. Some of the Super Junior members were comforting them and Miss A, who are just seated at the next table, offers them tissues. Almost everyone is crowding the SNSD table after the speech Hyoyeon gave. The tears were finally slowing down when their manager came with his phone in his ear. His hand was covering his mouth, and he was crying too.

 

“Girls…”

 

“What’s wrong oppa?” Sunny asks.

 

“W-we have to go to the h-hospital…” Worried faces replaced the crying ones. They were all thinking the same thing: Did something happen to Seohyun?

 

“Oppa, don’t tell me…” Yoona started, but then her words turned into sobs.

 

“Oppa what happened? Tell us!” Taeyeon said, her voice squeaking in fear.

 

Their manager removed his hand from his mouth to show a big smile. “Seohyun just woke up.” They all stood up and made a dash for it. The other idols stepped aside and made a way for them to go through. And now here they are, in front of Seohyun’s room, excited to see their maknae waving at them. Hyoyeon, who was the fastest among them, reaches the door first and turns the knob. It won’t budge.

 

“Come on Hyo, open the door”, Yuri says, panting as she is the second to arrive.

 

“It’s locked.”

 

“Have you tried knocking first?” Tiffany asks, while the rest of the girls arrive. Hyoyeon knocks, but no one answers. They knock again, this time much louder, but still no one answers.

 

“Maybe they went out or transferred her to another room?” Sooyoung says. They look around, searching for some hospital staff who could answer their questions, when Yoona shouts.

 

“HYUNNIE!” She points to the end of the corridor, where a girl sitting in a wheel chair being pushed by a nurse is moving towards them. They quickly rush to her and enveloped her in hugs. The tears are coming out now again as they sob in their maknaes arms.

 

“I’m sorry…” Seohyun starts...

 

 

 

“…but who are you guys? Have we met before?”

 

 

 

 

For the next few seconds, the girls felt like time had stopped. Seohyun sees how their face turns from happy to shock. They broke their hug, and move away from Seohyun. The maknae tries her best to keep an innocent face; it’s a good thing her parents are not here right now, and the nurse seems to play along. She can see some of her members cover their mouth, stunned by her words. Even the people who are not easy to prank buys her act. This feels like a scene in a drama.

 

Seohyun knows she’s not that great of an actor, and she finally bursts out laughing. The girls are now confused at Seohyun’s actions. She smiles at them with mischief in her eyes. “I’m such a good actress, right unnies?”

 

It takes a few more seconds for them to process what she said. Tiffany’s gears seem faster than others as she reacted first. “YAH! SEO JOO HYUN!”

 

“Tiffany unnie, keep your voice down. This is a hospital, you know.” Seohyun scolds her unnie.

 

When the others realize that she knows Tiffany’s name, they understood that they were just pranked by Seohyun. Hyoyeon, the one standing nearest to Seohyun, began slapping the maknae on her arm while crying hysterically.

 

“HOW-“ SLAP!

 

“COULD-“ SLAP!

 

“YOU-“ SLAP!

 

“DO-“ SLAP!

 

“THAT-“ SLAP!

 

“TO-“ SLAP!

 

“US!” SLAP!

 

 Someone finally had the sense to stop Hyoyeon from hurting Seohyun. Sooyoung holds Hyoyeon’s arms back as she cries. Seohyun was also crying and laughing at the same time while rubbing her sore arm. “Don’t you know how worried we were about you?!”

 

“I know unnies”, she smiles at them and offers them tissues. “I love you too.” Hyoyeon hugs her again and kisses her cheeks. Seohyun puts her arms around Hyoyeon’s neck and kisses her cheeks too. The others then envelope them in a group hug, each of them taking turns hugging Seohyun. Everyone is sobbing when they suddenly heard a lot of clicking sounds.

 

“Girls, I think it’s best if we move this inside, don’t you think?” Their manager interrupted. The door to Seohyun’s room is already open, her mom and dad waiting for them to come in. They see that the hallway is now filled with reporters and fans taking pictures of their reunion. Seohyun just giggles at what’s happening right now. The nurse wheels her into the room as the rest of them follow. While Seohyun is helped by the nurse get into the bed, the people in the now crowded room try to find a good place to sit.

 

“How are you feeling now, Seobaby?” Jessica asks her.

 

She smiles at them. “You wouldn’t believe the dream I just had, unnies.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Thanks to everyone who read it till the end, to those who subscribed, upvoted, and commented! :D

By the way, there's still an epilogue and an extra chapter coming up, and after I post those two, I'll mark this as complete. 

 

Again, THANK YOU!!!