Marriage is no child's play

I Believe

A few months later -

The golden envelope, with it's content peeking out, glittered from the sun beams that shone in through the windows of Ga Eul's room. The room was filled with packed boxes and bags, her table now empty, yet not a soul was in sight, and nothing but the sound of nature filled the house.

Meanwhile, the owner of the room herself was flittering around an art gallery, checking on one exhibition, after another, before it's official opening. The vibration from her phone cut off her focus as she answered it to a video call that reveals Yi Jung's face.

"Ga Eul?", he appeared to be squinting his eyes in the video image.

"Yes, Yi Jung, it's about to start soon, have you change?"

"About to, where are you?"

"At the gallery, doing the final checks"

"Didn't we already check last night?"

"Just in case, Yi Jung, just in case"

"Okay.... Come soon, I miss you"

"Already? "

"Already. "

The past few months have been anything but easy for the both of them, but ask any of them and they'd say it's also the happiest time of their lives.

Like the rainbow that comes the storm, the clearing of the storm of a misunderstanding revealed the rainbow in their relationship. Life is still a crisis after another for them, but they are no longer fighting alone now.

They have each other.

[Flashback]

"Doctor, tell me the truth, I can take it", Ga Eul squeezed Yijung's hand as he faced the doctor, with an earnest look. The doctor nodded, as he checked the results on his computer screen and turned to him, "It appears to be an effect of your head injury. You don't have to worry though, we can schedule you for surgery to fix it... Although it might take quite some time, the next available timeslot will be 6 months later, can you wait?"

Yi Jung did a mental calculation of the time and realized it would be about three months after his scheduled art exhibition. Understanding his concerns, Ga Eul suggested that he could push back the date of his exhibition. Yet, Yi Jung refused and nodded to the doctor, "Yes, I can"

Ga Eul shot Yi Jung a puzzled look, only to receive a smile fom him.

She wondered if it was because he could not read her expression or was it because he already had a solution.

[End of flashback]

Ga Eul smiled as the familiar sight of the brown house came into view -- a place of many of their encounters, a place where he built his dreams and she had hers too. Giddy with happiness, she bounced cheerfully into the pottery room that laid within -- to reveal a room full of people.

"Goodness! What is everybody doing here?"

"To prepare you for your wedding, of course" Jandi explained.

"But..but.. This isn't the wedding venue..." She protested, to no avail, slightly crushed at the fact she couldn't enjoy a last private sweet moment before the actual wedding and at the fact that the groom was no where in sight.

"Well, we can all go together later, and oh goodness, Ga Eul, look at the time, you should get changed! " A look of shock and horror crossed over her face as she recalled something important --- "I left the gown! "

"What?" "Huh?" "Where? " "What?!" "Quick, go get it!" "Serious?!" Everybody seem to be speaking all at the same time. Ga Eul answered sheepishly, "Heh, at the wedding venue"

"Oh." Everyone was suddenly silent, as if they were all in on the same big secret. "I'll go get it and be right back!" "Take your time" Ga Eul looked suspiciously at them all, puzzled at their unusual response.

She arrived at the venue out of her breath, and pushed open the door, to reveal a spotlight shining on a familiar back of a man, dressed in a black suit.

"Yi Jung?"

He turned around, blindfolded, a hand holding a brush and another hand stretched towards her, with his palm opened upwards, as if inviting her to come forward.

"Come here, Ga Eul"

She walked forward, slightly amused, not understanding what was going on, as he lead her towards a chair. It looked like he had practised it a lot, blindfolded.

"What are you doing?"

"Perfecting the most important piece for this exhibition of course"

"What?"

"It's you, Ga Eul, just close your eyes, and it'll be done in no time"

"But.."

"Remember, Ga Eul? Art?"

She nodded, and closed her eyes, settling into the seat, deciding to trust whatever it is he is doing.

[Flashback]

"What? You are still holding your art exhibition? But, but.. What about your eyes?", a worried Ga Eul asked in disbelief. He held a hand up to her face, "True art, goes beyond vision, Ga Eul"

She shot him a puzzled look, not understanding.

"And I've another plan.."

She looked even more bewildered now, as he moved his hands and reached her to clasp hers in his, "Ga Eul, ya, what do you say if we hold our wedding on the same day?"

Too stunned to reply, a multitude of questions running through her mind , she could only stare back in response for awhile before she asked, "But, but.. Your theme.. Your art pieces.... The ..the"

"It's okay, Ga Eul, our marriage lies on the most basic foundation of 'friendship', doesn't it?"

---

[In the pottery room]

 

Yi Jung sat down in front of his pottery wheel, carefully placing down the slab of clay he was holding in his hands, before he turned to Ga Eul's direction and nod.

She walked towards him hesitantly, and raised up a piece of cloth, as she stood right behind him. Then she proceeded to wrap it around his eyes, and used her hands to slowly guide his.

A pleasant smile crept up his face, "This reminds me of the days when I first taught you pottery"

A smile, not unlike his, lit up her face too, "except it feels like I'm teaching you now.. funny how life goes in circles"

 

 

[End of flashback]

As the brush her face, and she felt it curved around her chekbones, she slowly raised one of her own hand to guide his manoeuvre, slowly but steadily. Again, a gentle smile graced both their faces.

---

[In the changing room]

Ga Eul pat the fluffy part of her wedding dress and turned to look at her reflection in the mirror, blushing as she recall the touch of his hands on her face. Everything felt too much like a dream. Will this be taken away, like the way a dream will end, she wondered, deep in her thoughts for quite some time.

"YA BRIDE! ARE YOU READY? WE’RE ALL WAITING! ” Jandi’s loud voice could be heard tunneling in from the entrance of the hallway that lead up to the changing room, prompting Ga Eul to take one last look at the mirror before heading out into the wedding hall. “I’m coming Jan di, I’m coming!”

Jandi's voice broke her preoccupation, the thought shelved itself away far into her head as she walked towards the man she was to marry, with one hand hooked on her father's arm.

"And today's masterpiece --- 'Marriage', introducing Chu Ga Eul" the emcee announced as she made her entry.

Yijung winked at her as she came nearer, flashing a red clip. She tried to hide her giggles with her gloved hands, never expecting him to fulfil his joke.

[Flashback]

"How are we going to get married since you can't really see me?"

"Well, if you're afraid we're going to lose each other at the wedding, maybe we should attach something to each other then that will never happen. Ah! I know what! Red threads!"

"So cliche and so ugly!", she protested.

"Doesn't matter, I want the whole world to know for sure that you're my destiny. And I won't just use one, I'll use 3! So you can't even think of running away again"

[End of Flashback]

With the 3 clips now fastly attached in place on their outfits, Yi Jung playfully tugged on the three threads, causing Ga Eul to stumbled ahead and he instinctively swopped forward and caught her, as he leaned towards her face, sealing their lips together, at the same time.

The crowd that was standing around, with his pottery exhibits surrounding them, went wild and clapped enthusiastically.

~*~

[Another 3 months later]

He blinked a few times, to refocus on the fuzzy image right in front of him. Like a camera coming ino focus - her smiling face, in front of their little white cottage house, started to become clear to him as the fuzziness cleared. Just like a dream, materializing in front of him, as he smiled in her direction, beckoning her closer, and drawing her into a hug. "I miss you" "Again?" "For all the 'I miss you's I couldn't say, plus, I really do miss you" And there they stood, in each other's embrace, staring into each other's eyes for the longest time.

[End of last chapter]

---

Author's full note will be in next chapter.