Precious Words

I Believe

 

With a steady hand brushing the shiny gloss over her lips, Ga Eul looked questioningly at the reflection in her dresser’s mirror, a thousand thoughts racing in her mind.

 

She gazed down at the magazine on the dressing table and wondered about her upcoming meeting.

 

[Ga Eul]

How long has it been.. the last time we sat down for a proper talk?

 

[Scene flashes]

Ga Eul’s laughing, Yi Jung’s smile, the scene of a café.

 

Ga Eul making a funny face at the man sitting across from her.

[End of scene flashes]

 

[Yi Jung]

I the letter I held in my hand, hoping it could convey the words that I can’t seem to express.

 

After all that had happened, perhaps this seems like the best ending for the both of us.

 

I looked up from staring at the letter and saw that face I had fell for.

 

Her brown mane flowing in the background as she walked towards me, that meek look yet hiding such a fierce attitude and still as beautiful as ever.

 

I gave her a slight smile as our eyes met, and she nodded in response.

 

Such polite manners.. where were the familiarity of all our yesterdays?

 

[Scene flashes]

“Such a ugly face you are making!” Ga Eul exclaimed and promptly wiped chocolate stains on his face, “I shall help you uglify it even more!” and she erupts in fits of giggles as she runs away.

 

“Hey! I am not sparing you from damaging my pretty looks! Come back here!”

 

[End of scene flashes]

 

[Ga Eul]

It was as if we had returned to being strangers again, as if we had just met again, for the first time, in that café. Except, our conversation was nothing like anything between two ordinary strangers. It started off with the usual polite greeting then it was an awkward silence that seems to go on forever, as we both waited for the other to begin.

 

“The.,”

 

“Did..”

 

And so it was, that tendency for two silent people to begin talking at the same time and to both stop, to allow the other to continue first.

 

[Flashback]

“You know..” “You heard..”

 

Among their usual chattery interactions with each other, they tend to sometimes start talking at the same time, causing both of them to laugh at what they viewed as ‘chemistry’ and ‘telepathy’, how both had thought of the same thing at the same time. And they shared that same twinkle in the eyes as they both realized they had the same thought and she nodded a few times and gave a broad smile, to signal that she understood – that was what they shared, a common understanding, without words.

[End of flashback]

 

[Yi Jung]

I noticed, that one nod she gave to signal that she was thinking the same – but this time, it was no longer as vigorous and she didn’t had any smile on as she responded.

 

“Here.”

 

I drew her attention to the envelope on the table and pushed it across to her.

 

“An invitation for the exhibition.”

 

I watched as she took the envelope over and gestured to ask if she could open it.

 

I nodded.

 

It had never once occurred to me that any of our meetings could ever have been so silent – even before we had got together, any time we were in the same setting, it had always been boisterous and .. happy.

 

I smiled sadly at the memory.

 

“Ga Eul..”

 

[Ga Eul]

My head wasn’t really working as my ears registered the voice that called my name and I didn’t even notice my head tilted up as a response and that my eyes had fixated themselves on his face.

 

Love has a tendency to do things like this – makes you giddy with anticipation, and knocks you down when you are high above in the clouds.

 

It makes you weak like this – even the strongest has to succumb.

 

“I’m … sorry”

 

I swear I could have slapped myself by being so entranced with that face again, and failing to focus on what exactly was going on.

 

The world was gone for that moment and it seems just as nothing had happened between us – but my logical side was screaming in my head of all the things that we can no longer undo.

 

The images flashed one after another, the happy moments, the tears, the drama… the pain.. that doesn’t belong to just me alone. All of them were impossible to rewind.

 

I don’t know when it started but somehow, this relationship has became one I was sharing with the world… it was as if the existence of this relationship had bought disruption to the flow of order – the order of rich and poor.

 

The image of the magazine covers flashed across my head.

 

“Cheated by girl..”

 

The words struck me so hard..  it was as if I was the one disrupting that order of rich and poor. Jan Di might have been lucky but it looks like the division of the rich and the poor couldn’t always be broken so easily.

 

If I had never let the relationship progress, no one would have anything to say, because if we both dated someone from our own class – that would have seem natural to the world, at least.

 

The overwhelming thoughts, the overwhelming pain.

 

It was too much to bear.

 

I closed my eyes instinctively, as if doing so could block out the whole world, block out everything else, block out all the pain.

 

“Ga Eul?”

 

Oh, his voice again.

 

That voice that had the ability to wake me up to reality.

 

“I.. I am really sorry,  for all the disruption the magazine company has caused.. I hope this exhibition can put things right for you – to show everyone that all the rumours are fake, and because they are, that’s why .. why we can still be friends even if we are no longer together” 

 

[Yi Jung]

For the first time in my life, I felt a strong need to put aside my pride and apologise and I badly wanted to convey how much I felt that I was responsible for all the pain I was inflicting on her life and hoped my mediocre effort could at least make her feel a little better.

 

“No.. no.. thank you, Yi Jung, thank you for this – those rumours were not your fault.. it was something neither of us could control, but I’m grateful. This could at least put an end to things..”

 

That slight smile that accompanied her words, it hit me hard.

 

An end to things..

 

Scenes of the times we spent together flashed in my head… teasing each other, playing around.. then images of the magazine.. how I had stupidly rushed to the magazine company and her slap..

 

No more happiness… no more pain…

 

Is that how it is supposed to be when it ends?

 

I looked at her face, suddenly she looked so forlorn .. as if she had the weight of the world on her. That cheery, cheeky and happy look.. where had that gone?

 

Was this affecting her that much? If perhaps, like she said, we put an end to things.. would she be less burdened? If so, I didn’t mind that sacrifice of happiness.

 

I smiled back my own slight smile as I nodded.

 

“I will see you at the exhibition, then? I really hope you will come – it is for you after all.”

 

And with that, I gestured for us to leave and I held the door opened for her as we both stepped out of the door and bowed goodbye to each other, before watching her heading her way.

 

I only managed to turn away unwillingly after watching her walk a distance and my mind couldn’t stop wondering when will it be where her bright smile could return to her face.

 

[Ga Eul]

I looked at the invitation that was still in my hand.. the exhibition that was to be held in half year time, would I have the courage to go? Would I still have the strength to deal with my pain? Or would the pain, perhaps, lessen over time?

 

I wonder.  At the same time, I was curious – curious about what it was he wanted me to see. I the name on the invitation.. ‘So Yi Jung’.. will your name ever start meaning anything less? Then I turned around and stopped to look at him one last time as my heart muttered silently:  Goodbye, Yi Jung. Goodbye, my love. 

End of Chapter 14

-------

A/N: I think this is going to bring more tears T_T but before the brightest sunrise, you have to experience the darkest of night.. *hint hint*. I am so sorry for making people sad but this chapter is necessary before the change in the next! 

Once again, thank you for your support.. hope this answers the question on how come Ga Eul has become a weakling~ 

Sorry, I take quite awhile to update as I am rather busy.. hope you all understand :) (This explains the lack of song lyrics in the recent chapters as I haven't have the time to research on it.. though I am sure there are plenty of song lyrics for this chapter since I've heard 'Goodbye my love' plenty of times in different songs.. I know it's cliche, but it suits so I used the words here, hehes :P) 

*Title note: Precious words refers to words we often take for granted but mean so much: Thank you, I'm sorry, I love you, Goodbye, I miss you (already in the second chapter)