Empty

Love that stays

Jessica had finally regained her conscious and in her field of vision, she saw the worried faces of Yuri and Kris towering over her.

“Omo, you have finally awake!” Yuri exclaimed.

“Ugh- where am I?” she groaned and with the help of Kris, she managed to sit up from the bed.

“You are in the hospital,” Kris informed.

“Why?” she asked weakly.

“I found you lying motionlessly in the office. I tried to call Mr. Lee but he did not answer his phone so I reached Kris for help,” Yuri further explained.  “How are you feeling?”

“I am thirsty,” she managed a small forced smile.

“There you go,” Kris gave her a glass of water.

“I am fine right?” she checked.

“Yes, the doctor said you had overworked yourself and you may discharge after few hours you are awake,” Yuri told.

“Can you pass me my phone?” she requested.

To her dismay, there were zero missed calls or unread texts from Donghae. He must be really mad at me.

“I am feeling better now, I want to go back home,” Jessica want to head back as soon as possible to explain everything to Donghae and to ask for his forgiveness.

“Alright,” Yuri and Kris gave in knowing how stubborn she can be. Yuri headed outside to oversee the procedure of her discharge.

“Are you sure you are fine?” Kris asked with concern.

Jessica nodded briefly. It was awkward between them.

“I am sorry,” he apologized, looking down. It was his fault in the beginning.

“I had never blamed you,” she looked at him. “It was my fault too.”

“Jessica,” he startled her when he grabbed her wrist, demanding her attention.

“I am truly sorry for what I did which led to the argument between you and him. I was lost in the moment. I cannot help it but have fallen deeply in love with you. I know this is too sudden; I have always liked you since we first met but fate played on me because you are already married. But I want you to know that no matter what I will always love you and be by your side when you are in need of help. As selfish or thoughtless of me to admit to you that I hope that you and Donghae may not work out now, so I will stand a chance to win you,” he spoke with so much emotion inside him, staring intently into her blank face.

It was a moment of silence and hesitation; she removed his hand from her wrist. “I am sorry Kris. I know of your feeling for me, I also like you but is purely friendship like. I only love Donghae and he is my husband, no one can ever replace him in my heart. I will definitely work everything out with him, for him to forgive me. I am sorry for not able to return the mutual feeling for you. I want you to erase all feelings you had for me, you are a wonderful man, I am sure you will meet your rightful one.”

And that woman is you, I am sure.

He breathed out, not very much affected because he knew it was one sided love and he had also expected her rejection. He let out a smile, “I understand. I just hope that whatever I said to you won’t affect our friendship.”

The last thing he would want is to break off their friendship.

“We will always be best friend,” she smiled but his heart is aching.

“The doctor allowed you to discharge but you need to take plenty of rest, understand?” Yuri returned.

“Let me send you home,” Kris said.

“Kris, you don’t have to do it, Yuri can send me home right,” Jessica said, behind her eyes, Yuri noticed her pleads.

“Yes, I will send Jessica home safely,” Yuri replied.

~

Jessica returned home to find it empty. She tried calling Donghae again and left many message to him but up till now, there were no replies. She was worried.

The user is currently unavailable. Please leave a message after a tone.

Beep…

“It’s me, Jessica. Please come back home, we need to talk. I love you,” she tried hard not to cry when again; her call for him went unanswered.

It was already midnight and he’s not back home yet. She called his friends but they all had no idea where he went. Just then, the door opened and revealed a very much drunken Donghae wobbling in.

Jessica quickly dashed to his side and assisted him. He was reeking with alcohol and god he was heavy. She lung his arm over her shoulder and slowly made way up the stairs to their room.

She put him down on the bed and went to fetch a warm towel and put on his forehead.

“Oh baby, it’s you” he slurred in his drunken state.

“Hey baby…” she smiled and eased him.

“Why did you lie to me? Why?” his tone became angry.

“I am sorry, I didn’t mean to keep it from you,” she cried.

“Why did he kiss you? You must have like his kiss,” he snickered. “I hate it. You cheated on me.”

“No baby, I did not cheat on you. I love you so much,” she caressed his face but what she did not expect was that she earned herself one slap across her face.

“Don’t touch me!” he hissed. That’s it, her tears rolled down. She wiped it and then she realized he had fallen asleep, snoring.

It’s okay Jessica. You deserved it.

She climbed to the bed and lay beside him, cuddling him in her embrace. “I love you.”