Chapter 2

7 Seconds

 

After closing the gates, Sori ran back to the door.

 

"Ena," she said, "You better hurry inside. Your father is almost done with his meeting. If he knows you just came home he'll be furious!"

 

Ena nodded, and ran inside. She silently walked into the kitchen, and put the groceries on top of the counter. Sori helped her take her coat of, and gave her a headband.

 

"Gomawo, Sori."

 

Sori nodded, and ushered her out the kitchen.

 

"Hurry, your father is coming down the stairs!"

 

Ena tied her hair into a messy bun while she ran, and arrived just in time to see her father walk down the stairs with his guest.

 

"Ah," he said, "this is my daughter that I was talking about."

 

Ena smiled, and shook the guest's hand.

 

"It's a pleasure to meet you sir."

 

"Ena," her father said, "meet Mr. Kim. He's the one helping me with my current project."

 

Ena smiled, and turned to her father.

 

"Ena," he said, "Where were you?"

 

"I was about to make dinner."

 

"Ah, yes. Would you like to stay for dinner Mr. Kim? Ena is a wonderful cook."

 

"Wouldn't mind if I do."

 

Ena smiled, and walked back to the kitchen.

 

"What happened?" Sori asked.

 

"Nothing, just the usual."

 

"He didn't get angry?"

 

"Of course not, there's a guest in the house. The minute he leaves, father is going to give me the silent treatment again, like always."

 

Sori sighed.

 

"You need to give your father a break, it's hard to manage a naughty daughter all by himself."

 

Ena smiled.

 

"Sometimes, I prefer having him scold me. It's lonely around here you know?"

 

Sori gave Ena a small smile, and walked over to the counter to take out all the things from the plastic bag. Not long after, Yuri came inside the kitchen with a bowl of cherry tomatoes. That tall housekeeper who was only 3 years older than Ena came towards Ena, and put the bowl down beside her.

 

"Cinderella got home before 12, that's weird."

 

"Cinderella?"

 

"Who’s the prince charming?"

 

"Prince charming?"

 

"Don't play dumb, we saw you."

 

Ena raised her eyebrow, and moved to the sink. She took out a knife and cutting board, and began to chop the mushrooms. Yuri turned her head towards Ena, and leaned in on the counter.

 

"Blonde hair, tall, good looking."

 

"Oh, you mean Yi Fan?"

 

"She knows his name." Yuri loudly whispered to Sori.

 

"I heard that." Ena said as she turned to look at Yuri.

 

"So, you finally got a boyfriend?"

 

Ena shook her head as she washed the mushrooms.

 

"I literally bumped into him when I was coming home from the grocers. Sori, can you help me boil the pasta?"

 

"Sure."

 

Yuri raised her eyebrow.

 

"So, no boyfriend?"

 

"No boyfriend. Now, help me with the carbonara sauce."

 

Yuri Sighed.

 

"When are you going to get a boyfriend?"

 

Ena laughed.

 

"How is it that my love life concerns you?"

 

"I feel like your second mom. Do you know how proud I will be when I finally see you with a man, walking down the aisle as I throw rose petals at you?"

 

"How old am I again?"

 

"You're in the 2nd year of college."

 

"Yes, and I'm just 19."

 

"You need a boyfriend!"

 

"Get me a caretaker for my dad, then I'll go and get a boyfriend."

 

Yuri shook her head, and turned to Sori.

 

"Is the pasta done?"

 

"Yup, they're at the plates."

 

Yuri walked over to the counter, and poured in the sauce to the plates. Ena walked to the cabinet to get a bowl, and poured in the mushrooms. She then took out some bottled salad sauce, and poured in about 5 spoons into the bowl. She put the 3 plates of pasta, and the mushroom salad on a tray, and brought it to the dining room. But before she reached the kitchen door, she mouthed a thank you to Yuri, and Sori who was bringing 3 glasses of water on a tray.