Chapter 14

7 Seconds

 

He was smiling again. No, he was laughing, in the rain. He knows why, just unclear of the reason (that’s just like not knowing, is it?). He can’t find a reason why he should stop. Was it the rain? No, not even the rain would be able to stop him from smiling today.

 

Despite the heavy rain, and his ruined jacket, Yi Fan ran home with a smile on his face. He doesn’t think the smile would be able to wear off. Not even when he sees his uncle. He just has this… happy feeling inside of him. Being able to protect Ena from the rain… it’s something he finds very amusing.

 

Yi Fan ran, and ran, and ran. His house was quiet far from Ena’s, but it didn’t matter. She made the walk home seem to last for just a few seconds. 7 seconds to be exact. At least, that’s what Yi Fan thinks. He arrived in front of his house, and stopped.

 

I’m not going in there.’

 

Yi Fan stared at his door, waiting for any loud voices coming from inside.

 

10 seconds had passed, and nothing was heard.

 

He concluded that his uncle was probably in a bar somewhere, and opened the door. The minute the door opened, Yi Fan froze.

 

.

 

His uncle was there, on the couch, with one of those… girls.

 

“Yi Fan…” he said in a slurry manner, “where have you been?”

 

Yi Fan grunted.

 

“Not that it concerns you.”

 

“Aaaw come on… come here and meet-“

 

“Your ?”

 

He really didn’t want to use that kind of language; his uncle just pushed his anger. Perhaps using ‘e’ was a better choice, but using formal language was sort of inappropriate. Perhaps if Ena were here, she’d use the word ‘Geisha’. 

 

Yi Fan shook his head, and directly walked up to his room. Seriously, he doesn’t even now if his uncle was drunk. There isn’t much difference, really. Whether he’s sober, drunk, dead, alive, it didn’t matter to Yi Fan. All he knew was that his family must be half crazy to actually let him live with his uncle.

 

He’s tired, of everything. His uncle’s hangovers, his ‘girls’ that come over to play with him almost every night, the annoying giggles and screams he hears before going to bed, it’s a miracle that he’s actually still sane right now. God, he didn’t even get into SNU (Seoul National University) because of his uncle. He’s accepted because of a scholarship he got.

 

As soon as he got his spare shirt, Yi Fan ran down the stairs, not bothering to look at his uncle. He opened the door, and hurried outside. He didn’t even bother to grab an umbrella (not like he had one). Being in the rain was better than seeing his uncle’s face.

 

There was nothing-sane going on in his life (for him). Everything’s just broken down. Yi fan doesn’t know what’s keeping him alive. Staying alive wasn’t really the plan, the plan was to just steal a bike, and ride across a railroad crossing when the train comes. But there was something else, something that urged him to keep on living. The brown hair, hazel eyes, sweet voice, she was his new light.

 

Just the thought of Ena made him smile, and he couldn’t even remember what he just saw.